Clutch control 2017

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
matt21

Clutch control 2017

AutoMotorSport has written, that there are new regulations in place regarding clutch control.

The position of the clutch lever should then determine the amount of transferred torque and not the clutch position.
Also only one lever is allowed.

I cannot find anything in the regulations governing that? Has anybody seen this written down somewhere?

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url

scarbs
scarbs

Re: Clutch control 2017

This has been known about since early this year. The FIA torque sensor between the engine and gearbox can be used as an input to the powertrain control. Im not sure the AMuS explanation is 100% accurate but the basics are right. This is a TD not a reg change so not publically documented

roon
roon

scarbs wrote:This has been known about since early this year. The FIA torque sensor between the engine and gearbox can be used as an input to the powertrain control. Im not sure the AMuS explanation is 100% accurate but the basics are right. This is a TD not a reg change so not publically documented
Is the intention to improve the 'feel' of clutch-by-wire? For more consistent/safer starts. Something else?

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

My understanding is that "FIA torque sensor between the engine and gearbox can be used" is not strictly correct; it's mandatory that the clutch lever is a torque demand device, isn't it? EDIT: I may be wrong here.

Maybe FIA's aim is more variable starts and less money on clutch development. EDIT: Not sure.

Now every team, big or small has to spend more time and sponsor $ coming up with new cunning clutch wheezes. EDIT: I can at least agree with myself on this

EDIT: Deleted/caveated the incorrect/doubtful/superflous stuff : still not my finest post! :lol:
Last edited by Brian Coat on 23 Dec 2016, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

basti313
basti313

Brian Coat wrote:My understanding is that "FIA torque sensor between the engine and gearbox can be used" is not strictly correct; it's mandatory that the clutch lever is a torque demand device, isn't it?
Maybe FIA's aim is more variable starts and less money on clutch development.
Well, it is well known, that the use of the FIA sensor will dump A LOT of money into starting procedure development. But I do not think it will be harder, teams clearly claimed, that the sensor will make it more easy.
Don`t russel the hamster!

dans79

Brian Coat wrote:Maybe FIA's aim is more variable starts and less money on clutch development.
Probably, and its why I really really hate the FIA. They are supposed to be looking after safety, and that all the teams are playing buy the rules. Instead they are to busy trying to make the sport more dramatic.
197 104 103 7

PlatinumZealot

How I understand it the clutch software will be the same for all teams. The driver pulls the lever and it controls (maybe trims the rpm?) the launch rpm of the engine. The computer will engage the clutch once the pedal is released and the driver will feel out the launch from there. It doesn't say how the accelerator pedal is used in this.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

ringo

link to article: http://www.f1technical.net/news/21124

So they want the start to be more driver dependent, but they want the clutch paddle to act like a throttle pedal, did i get that right?

They say it no longer will be able to modulate clutch plate position. Which is very weird.
How do the paddles in semi automatic gearboxes in sports cars work, do they just shift to pre programmed positioning?

This thing about the paddles being responsible for engine rpm just seems weird when the driver has the throttle pedal on the ground to modulate rpm as well.

And it just makes a launch seem much easier. The engineers can simply find out which rpms give a good launch, have steering wheel display engine speed instead so the driver knows how to displace the paddle, and he can manage it from there at the launch with his right foot.
For Sure!!