Regenerative systems (KERS)

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
WhiteBlue

Re: Regenerative systems (KERS)

I bump this excellent thread on KERS that constantly gets forgotten every two months.

There are numerous sources which I recommend to all interested readers.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 21009.html

An interview with Mosley 2009 in AMuS covers the 1998 McLaren KERS
Max Mosley, AMuS, translated by WB wrote:Ich fand, es war eine faszinierende Technologie. Dann habe ich mit Charlie Whiting und einigen anderen Leuten darüber gesprochen und wir kamen zu der Erkenntnis, dass man im Bereich der Speicherung die Sicherheit nicht gewährleisten konnte. Damals haben drei Teams an solchen Systemen gearbeitet. McLaren hatte sich mit Ilmor zusammengetan und ein hydraulisches System entwickelt. Das Problem war, dass dieses System explosiv war. Es speicherte zwar nur 400 Kilojoule, was gerade einmal zum Aufkochen von 120 Gramm Wasser reicht. Aber wenn so etwas innerhalb kürzester Zeit freigesetzt wird, kann es einen heftigen Knall geben. Man hätte es über zwei oder drei Sekunden lang langsam entweichen lassen müssen, aber diese Technologie gab es damals nicht.

I thought it was a fascinating technology. I talked it over with Charlie Whiting and some other people then and we found that the safety of the storage wasn't sufficient. At the time three teams were working on such systems. McLaren had teamed up with Ilmor and had developed an hydraulic system. The problem was, this system was explosive. It stored just 400 kJ, which was just enough to boil 120 g of water. But if you release such a thing in a very short time it can produce a mighty bang. One should have let it discharge over two or three seconds but that technology wasn't available at that time.
So quite obviously the McLaren hydraulic KERS was a motor/pump assembly (possibly a variable +/- displacement piston pump with swash angle control) that charged and discharged an hydraulic accumulator (most likely a bladder accumulator). The lack of accumulator control was probably related to a lack of suitable servo valves to control the rather sluggish swash angle plate that used to control the flow of the motor/pump.

The reference to 400 kJ storable energy is interesting because that is still the figure that KERS systems in F1 are limited to. Someone with a vested interest obviously knew very well that such a system would be near worthless. Who would be that someone?

A primitive schematic of a variable displacement motor/pump without the control system.

Here is one that has been used in a motorcycle project.

http://www.hydraulicinnovations.com/for ... stcount=90
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

autogyro
autogyro

The pump drawing does not do it for me WB.
Cant see how the pistons return or how they recharge with fluid.
The system also requires an hydraulic motor.

Shrek
Shrek

i was wondering, when is the best time to activate the kers on the track, and do you press it on the fastest straight(like the frontstretch in Albert Park) or change the gears so that it's at redline on that straight and use it in other places
Spencer

Caito
Caito

Shrek wrote:i was wondering, when is the best time to activate the kers on the track, and do you press it on the fastest straight(like the frontstretch in Albert Park) or change the gears so that it's at redline on that straight and use it in other places

It's generally more efficient if it's done at lower speeds. Meaning is better to use it to reach terminal speed sooner, than to increase terminal speed.

Some team(believe it was ferrari, on their youtube channel) said they would run simulations to see the better place and then they would tell that to the driver. The driver would try that, and also some variation of his own to finally decide the better combination
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Feliks

Originally posted by Feliks

On the pictures below you can see how small the venturi nozzle is to drive the gyroscopes in the strands. My finger and applied on the next hand, illustrate the size of the venturi tube. It is almost equal to the diameter of my finger. Now, please imagine how much energy to give the fan with the same diameter of my finger...

Regards Andrew
A venturi tube so small as my finger is able to propel a large heavy rotating disk gyroscope air to 10 000 RPM, and even walk through the air filter....

Since the gyroscope can be power, relatively high compared to the diameter of the venturi tubes (1 ") and he has the 2 ", then maybe you can do in F1 KERS Venturi "?
The air sucked into the engine can be sucked through a venturi tube so, resulting in a negative pressure to drive the gyroscope, which will keep energy....:tsk

That would be something like a turbine gives energy, but the intake pipe. Turbo :D

Regards Andrew :D :D

Caito
Caito

I was thinking.. the KERS indirectly acts as a rear ABS.

The kers is a "regular" electric motor/generator. When it generates it will produce a counter torque. If you want a lot of charging, you get lots of counter torque.

But... if the rear wheels are locked, you get 0 counter torque, since you're generating 0 electrical energy.

So imagine this.. kers recharge is activated.. the guy brakes. If the wheel locks, the kers charges no more, releases torque on the rear wheels, the wheels unlock.

And I'm sure( this is not "passive" but "active") a charging map could be made to make a really good ABS. It would be useless if the rear brake pressure alone was enough to brake the wheels.

Rear braking torque= Brake(foot pedal)+Kers. You can control the second one..

Caito
Caito

I thought another one for kers. It can be used as a starter engine. That'd mean that you would need no starter mechanism, which could make some part on the engine lighter.

I'm also thinking, since 80hp is more than enough to move an F1 car. It can be widely used behind the saftery car to save fuel(in case you need to save fuel). You just charge the last lap, when the saftery car lights go off.

autogyro
autogyro

Caito wrote:I thought another one for kers. It can be used as a starter engine. That'd mean that you would need no starter mechanism, which could make some part on the engine lighter.

I'm also thinking, since 80hp is more than enough to move an F1 car. It can be widely used behind the saftery car to save fuel(in case you need to save fuel). You just charge the last lap, when the saftery car lights go off.

My ESERU KERS system does all that and much more.
There is no 'seperate' starter 'engine', it is intigrale with the gearbox unit.
Not only can you drive on electric power only
(which will soon be mandatory in the paddock), it can be done with the ic engine completely OFF.

Edis
Edis

Caito wrote:I thought another one for kers. It can be used as a starter engine. That'd mean that you would need no starter mechanism, which could make some part on the engine lighter.

The KERS motorgenerator could probably be used as a starter motor, but I don't think you save any weight by doing that since starters are external and drive the gearbox input shaft. You are also depending on that the KERS system works. The KERS motorgenerator could also replace the alternator, you only need a DC-DC converter for that. Probably worth about a kg. But again, you're depending on the KERS system functioning like it should.

Battery capacity isn't enough to drive any significant time behind the safetycar on electricity only, and I doubt there are significant advantages to be had by that. After all, all the energy have to be produced by the engine and taking the longer route to the wheels via the KERS system is probably not going to be more efficient. But KERS could be used to save fuel behind the safety car by using a smaller power boost during acceleration.

autogyro
autogyro

The KERS motorgenerator could probably be used as a starter motor, but I don't think you save any weight by doing that since starters are external and drive the gearbox input shaft. You are also depending on that the KERS system works. The KERS motorgenerator could also replace the alternator, you only need a DC-DC converter for that. Probably worth about a kg. But again, you're depending on the KERS system functioning like it should.

Battery capacity isn't enough to drive any significant time behind the safetycar on electricity only, and I doubt there are significant advantages to be had by that. After all, all the energy have to be produced by the engine and taking the longer route to the wheels via the KERS system is probably not going to be more efficient. But KERS could be used to save fuel behind the safety car by using a smaller power boost during acceleration.
Using my ESERU/7 speed gearbox, the engine can be started at anytime without any additional weight or bulk added to the unit.
Because it is integral with the unit the facility for charging (Kers or other) and Application (starter or other) does not need to be compromised by one energy source and is split into six seperate electrical segments.
Using the ESERU results in NO losses during gear shifts and gives the ability to drive on electrical power only with the ic engine OFF for short periods.
The energy route to the wheel using the ESERU is a strait line to the diff, with NO anciliary drive inputs not even a laygear set to drag down energy.
The electrical input/output uses the ESERU geartrain and NOTHING else, one energy conversion only.

Feliks

Is marriage Underground Windmill of Tesla's Turbine is the optimum solution?
Kers may also be on a Tesla Turbine?. may have a very large turnover..

several cases that support the solution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdix_i-f ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7nFga2B ... re=related

http://www.imp.gda.pl/en/research-centr ... -turbines/

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7695242.pdf

Andrew:wavey

riff_raff
riff_raff

If you want to be totally futuristic with F1 propulsion, why not a fully electric drivetrain with unlimited electric KERS, powered by flow batteries. The flow batteries could have their liquid electrolytes replaced during pit stops.

Flow battery technology is actually getting pretty good:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20069 ... p-storage/
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Edis
Edis

autogyro wrote:The pump drawing does not do it for me WB.
Cant see how the pistons return or how they recharge with fluid.
The system also requires an hydraulic motor.
Most hydraulic pumps can also operate as motors with minor modification. If you need the pump to operate as a motor with the same direction of rotation you only need a servovalve to swap inlet with outlet.

The power to weight ratio of these pumps (standard aerospace versions) are quite impressive.

WhiteBlue

Yep, the piston pumps can be used as hydraulic MGU. Combined with an accumulator you can build KERS. But the weight is still an issue and they are relatively noisy. Awhole cycle will probably have less than 50% energy efficiency. That is the biggest draw back.