Rotary valve technology

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
rotaryvalveman

Re: rotary valve technology

Hey,

And here was me thinking I had seen the simple solutions.

I had not thought of that but that is a "Collin Chapman" type of simple genius that I had not thought of but, if you are ok with it, will use.

It will have to be wide enough to allow access to the head bolts but yes, it will make the design much more seviceable.

There is a way to not have to disconnect the drive as well by simply making an unscrewable front end that allows you to remove the active section of the shaft but leaving the timed up end in a carrier of a sort.

I have to say though that as simple an idea as this is, I would be honiured to implement it if that is OK?

Brilliantly simple and simply brilliant.

Richard
Richard

Its a pleasure - glad to be of some help.

This arrangement will also speed up your testing for when you want to inspect the port seals ;)

rotaryvalveman

Won't it just?

Thanks. Real helpful. I will sleep better tonight. Another small rung of the ladder fitted.

Cheers. :D

ringo

How about direct injection?
I am guessing that makes your design and calculations simpler, and help to achieve the efficiencies that you aimed for as well.
The sealing will be an interesting task, the shaft will be under varying bending loads as each cylinder fires, some displacement and squeezing can be expected no?

Fatigue will also be interesting, part of circumference of the shaft will be very hot, while the port hole side will be cooler. This is happening along the shaft at different angles for each cylinder.
For Sure!!

Richard
Richard

ringo wrote:The sealing will be an interesting task, the shaft will be under varying bending loads as each cylinder fires, some displacement and squeezing can be expected no?
I guess you could reduce that by including a spring(s) on the opposite side of the shaft. That would increase friction loss compared to two simple bearings. Depends on how much vibration and bending occurs in practice

flynfrog

rotaryvalveman wrote:Won't it just?

Thanks. Real helpful. I will sleep better tonight. Another small rung of the ladder fitted.

Cheers. :D
you could also use this as a way to preload your seals. the hard part would be getting the thread to seal. I work with some composite molding and we work very hard to avoid sealing in 3d

rotaryvalveman

Well as the shafts are a good proportional size and each one is supported by a bearing between each cylinder, and the fact that there is not a tight fit between the valve and it's housing, it does not seem to be a problem even if it is flexing which I never investigated as my design allows everything to "breath", for want of a better term.

I hope that is enough for you at present but I cannot reveal too much. gotta have something to sell next year havn't I? :lol:

rotaryvalveman

On the Direct injection, I am not complicating things yet. Normal injection will be ok for now as it will only complcate matters.

ringo

I was of the impression direct inject would be simpler design wise.
Normal port injection would put your injectors outside of the rotating shafts. Seeing as though that there is one hole in the shaft, the fuel charge has to enter that one hole, wait in the shaft til it rotates to release the charge into the cylinder.
Direct inject will eliminate any complications of the fuel charge standing in the hot rotating shaft.
The only issue with direct injection is the cost and the programming. But it's a nicer direction to follow seeing as though it will greatly help fuel efficiency.

But anyhow do your thing, it's better to take small steps and make sure you have a working concept first.
For Sure!!

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

EFI only squirts the fuel in while the port is open & air is flowing does it not?

rotaryvalveman

Ringo
Yes and no. Yes it MAY be a better solution but no, I do need, as you say, to make incremental steps. hat way I know where I am.

You have touched on a good piont though. there is always going to be a zone in the port that holds on to a little fuel/air mix. It won't be too much but it is a little. We had a flow analysis done in CFD and you can see the area inside getting trapped as the flow closes. however, as the valve opens the other way it is the first part to be reintroduced into the flow stream and as the valve does not stop, it does keep the turbulatn air/fuel mixture moving but there will be some fuel drop out at low speeds. Well, in theory. I suppose I will find out later.
So, how and when we inject is going to be important and I think I will have to go to direct injection but it may not be as big a deal as I think. you're right that with D.I there will only be air going through the valve and will eliminate a worry.

Richard
Richard

If this is about establishing the rotating valve as a mechanical device, then you should go for the simplest fuel supply? You could bolt on a simple carburettor/choke if that helps you focus on the mechanics of the valve & seals.

Once you have the valve working in isolation, you can do a second phase that figures the best method for fuel injection.

rotaryvalveman

richard

I find carbs harder to tune, personally, than EFI but they do tend to self time so as the engine we are starting with has a carb on it, we porbably will do.

one of the race teams we are dealing with is going to sort the carburation out for them sleves and we will put 3D ignition only on it to start with.

After that, after a bit of data, we will go EFI so yes, small incrremental steps in isolation, as you say.

CYCLONE
CYCLONE

I realy like the idea of rotary valve technology and is waiting for a chance to buy a sett heads to my own prosjekt.
I am working with prototypes mainly for cars and i know the cost for prototyping.
Is there a possible chance that you coud make heads for my private subaru twinncharge prosjekt if i coud raise the right amunt of monney ?
I can draw an outside maximal measures and the maitingsurface to the donorengine in solidworks or equal software if needed .

I also like to have "infinite valvetiming" and the 4:1 solution built like a planetary gearset.

Sun vil be driven by crankshaft 1:1 via registerbelt and the planets vil drive the valveshaft 4:1 .
Maybe possible to make the valvshaft like a tube and putt a springloaded piston in it to open and close the valveopening.
If the spring is situated at the drive end you can controll it by a simple pushrod or hydraulic pressure from the open end .
I can of course do a simpe drawing of my tougths if needed.

If you need more information or wanna know more about my prosjekt please contact me here : hartzn@hotmail.com

I'm from Norway so my english may not be the best ...

rotaryvalveman

For the good of the forum, matbe you should post a picture for us to see.

I think I get your pushrod idea but I prefure to keep the valve in a continues speed as it aids the opening and closing breathing abilities at the ends of the graph envelope.

Please let us see your pictures.