2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

When it comes to coating and surface treatment of metals in general and light-alloys in particular, there is a whole heap of methods available on the market for almost every purpose, taste and desire, for xample here;

http://www.bodycotemetallurgicalcoating ... tings.aspx

Quite obviously from the above, the color alone can be quite decieving.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

strad

Many years ago, Rand made some pistons for my Triumph that were Teflon impregnated. Not coated but actually a mil into the aluminum. It made for fricton on the order of wet ice on wet ice..I wonder if modern F1 does something similar
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

I have not heard of Teflon impregnation. Time for some research.

The Jag/Ford Cosworth V10 piston I have has a green coating on the skirts. Not sure what that would be.

Part of the decision process would have to do with the speed of the piston in the cylinder. The rings and skirts see hydrodynamic friction when moving and mixed boundary or boundary when changing directions at the end of the strokes. They do not have the same oil film requirements, so you have to compromise. For a F1 engine you might favor the hydrodynamic friction reduction with very smooth finishes and a very thin low drag oil film. This is where the DLC might be handy.

In regards to the coated rings Scarbs saw, they could have been coated with carbon (DLC) or TiAlN (Titanium Aluminum Nitride). He should have spotted a gold finish if the outer sealing surface was TiN coated which is very common. That would have made for a beautiful jewelry looking ring.

I did locate a study that found DLC rings to have lower friction levels (higher wear) than Titanium Nitride (TiN) when tested on cast iron cylinders. I have not found anything on DLC running on nickel/silicon carbide composite coated cylinders. You would not expect the bores to be DLC coated as you generally need to have dissimilar materials (hardness) between the ring and bore.

Brian

xpensive
xpensive

Now that Pure has revealed that their turbo will sit ahead av the engine for packaging reasons, any ideas for the xhaust layout, can they just let it out sideways like Porsche did on their indy-effort?

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:..any ideas for the xhaust layout, can they just let it out sideways like Porsche did on their indy-effort?
They have to. The rule says exhaust must be piped out of the outward ports. After taking it forward to the turbo they have to pipe it back to the specified outlet box where it must exit almost horizontally. This box is actually quite narrow in my view and is located between 1200 and 500mm forward of the rear wheel centre line. This assumes that the new for 2012 regulations will apply. But there is very little reason to believe they will not be carried over. They were designed to prevent blown diffusors. One can reasonably expect blown diffusors to remain prohibited for the next decade.

5.8 Exhaust systems:

5.8.1 With the exception of incidental leakage through exhaust joints (either into or out of the
system), no fluids, other than those which emerge from the engine exhaust ports, may be
admitted into the engine exhaust system.

5.8.2 Engine exhaust systems may incorporate no more than two exits, both of which must be
rearward facing tailpipes, through which all exhaust gases must pass.

5.8.3 The last 100mm of any tailpipe must in its entirety :
a) Form a thin‐walled unobstructed right circular cylinder whose internal diameter is no
greater than 75mm with its axis at +/‐10° to the car centre line when viewed from above
the car and between +10° and +30° (tail‐up) to the reference plane when viewed from
the side of the car. The entire circumference of the exit should lie on a single plane
normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 100mm
of the tailpipe.
b) Be located between 250mm and 600mm above the reference plane.
c) Be located between 200mm and 500mm from the car centre line.
d) Be positioned in order that the entire circumference of the exit of the tailpipe lies
between two vertical planes normal to the car centre line and which lie 500mm and
1200mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.

5.8.4 Once the exhaust tailpipes, the bodywork required by Article 3.8.4 and any apertures
permitted by Article 3.8.5 have been fully defined there must be no bodywork lying within a
right circular truncated cone which :
a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
b) Has a forward diameter equal to that of each exhaust exit.
c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as the rear wheel centre
line.
d) Has a half‐cone angle of 3° such that the cone has its larger diameter at the rear wheel
centre line.
Furthermore, there must be a view from above, the side, or any intermediate angle
perpendicular to the car centre line, from which the truncated cone is not obscured by any
bodywork lying more than 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:
xpensive wrote:..any ideas for the xhaust layout, can they just let it out sideways like Porsche did on their indy-effort?
They have to. The rule says exhaust must be piped out of the outward ports. After taking it forward to the turbo they have to pipe it back to the specified outlet box where it must exit almost horizontally. This box is actually quite narrow in my view and is located between 1200 and 500mm forward of the rear wheel centre line. This assumes that the new for 2012 regulations will apply. But there is very little reason to believe they will not be carried over. They were designed to prevent blown diffusors. One can reasonably expect blown diffusors to remain prohibited for the next decade.
So why do they want to have the turbo ahead of the engine in the first place, sounds like complicated piping to me and do you mean that the xhauts will leave the car laterally, like on the Indy Porsche?

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Are they using intercoolers? More effective intercooler routing? Intake has priority over exhaust routing, particularly if an effort is being made eliminate exhaust driven aero features.

Brian

FW17

xpensive wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
So why do they want to have the turbo ahead of the engine in the first place, sounds like complicated piping to me and do you mean that the xhauts will leave the car laterally, like on the Indy Porsche?
1200 mm will be ahead of the engine

strad

Well WB and other people doubted me...
Holm86 wrote:4 bars at idle? dont believe that....
Ok it wasn't 4 Bar,,it was only 3..I found the tape..
click photo for video
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:.. do you mean that the xhauts will leave the car laterally, like on the Indy Porsche?
No, I think that will be illegal. The last 100mm of an exhaust pipe have to be straight, point essentially backward with a 30° maximum deviation to horizontal.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

strad wrote:Well WB and other people doubted me...
Holm86 wrote:4 bars at idle? dont believe that....
Ok it wasn't 4 Bar,,it was only 3..I found the tape..
click photo for video
I don't recall that conversation. Can you give us a source? But with regard to the new engine formula I still think that such boost levels will be contra productive. One has to keep the objective in mind.

What you want to do with the new turbos is extracting as much power as possible from the surplus heat and motion energy of the exhaust gas and use it in the MGUH to provide electricity for the MGUK. Running excessive compressor loads would seriously damage that strategy. We always need to keep in mind that we are fuel limited. Only total energy maximization will give maximum power.

neilbah
neilbah

so are these turbos going to work similar to the dynacharger? thermo conversion electrics in seem an important part of f1 packaging over the next few years

strad

Actually WB I owe you an apology...It was Xpensive and others :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5669&start=1275
Sir Stirling Moss

WhiteBlue

Apology accepted. I really had no recollection of the issue and I'm glad we have cleared it up.

pgfpro

neilbah wrote:so are these turbos going to work similar to the dynacharger? thermo conversion electrics in seem an important part of f1 packaging over the next few years
I would love to know also???

I can't wait to see F1 runnning turbos again!!!
building the perfect beast