NASCAR

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
strad

Re: NASCAR

Can ya tell virtual practice doesn't hold a candle to real track time?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bill shoe

Oh YES!! Feels great to watch people racing actual cars instead of playing video games. Nice!

I'm a smidge more of a NASCAR fan than before, but still looking forward to Indycar and F1.

Congrats to NASCAR for being a bit daring and aggressive with the restart dates, and then pulling it off perfectly. NASCAR has traditionally used a win-win mindset in their relationships with teams and tracks, and that probably had a lot to do with the success today. If Bernie was still relevant he could take notes.

FrukostScones

there is a race at nasacar.com
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan

"Noose found in garage stall of black US racing driver"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53132933
US-based motor-racing organisation Nascar says it is investigating after a noose was found in the garage stall of African-American driver Bubba Wallace.
Seems some just want to stay in the past.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

subcritical71

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 10:55

US-based motor-racing organisation Nascar says it is investigating after a noose was found in the garage stall of African-American driver Bubba Wallace.
Really dumb move on somebody’s part. FBI and Department of Justice are investigating also. NASCAR has already said the person(s) responsible will be facing a lifetime ban.

strad

Really dumb move on somebody’s part. FBI and Department of Justice are investigating also. NASCAR has already said the person(s) responsible will be facing a lifetime ban.
As well they should. I understand there will always be some racists but then when compounded by this level classless stupidity it really hard to believe.
I hope they catch whoever did it and nail their ass to the wall.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Scorpaguy

Just_a_fan wrote:

By definition, a racist has to be stupid. But this level of stupidity is beyond comprehension. That area is restricted to team members...as well as secured and monitored...and basically no fans. WTH! Should hear something soon.

ENGINE TUNER

strad wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 01:41
As well they should. I understand there will always be some racists but then when compounded by this level classless stupidity it really hard to believe.
Since he's the first black driver in a while, this is the first time in a while that it happens in nascar, but the reality is that it happens all the time all around the US. I've seen news reports of it(nooses) happening in fire stations, police stations, military bases, the electricians office at a brewery a couple weeks ago, all throughout private and government offices.

When people realize and acknowledge that this is not "rare", and it's not "just stupid pranks" and that it's not "hard to believe", but is what actually happens on a day to day basis, then maybe it will start to get dealt with.

Scorpaguy

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 02:05
strad wrote:
Since he's the first black driver in a while, this is the first time in a while that it happens in nascar, but the reality is that it happens all the time all around the US. I've seen news reports of it(nooses) happening in fire stations, police stations, military bases, the electricians office at a brewery a couple weeks ago, all throughout private and government offices.

When people realize and acknowledge that this is not "rare", and it's not "just stupid pranks" and that it's not "hard to believe", but is what actually happens on a day to day basis, then maybe it will start to get dealt with.
ET...may I respectfully state that using the phrases, "all the time" & "day to day basis", could be construed as hyperbole. In my near 60 years of living in the south (not deep south mind you), I can recall of but a few....certainly less than 5 in my state (more like 2 or 3). Since the Mod strictly forbids comments on the integrity of the media, I shall not trod there.

As for the Darrell "Bubba" Wallace investigation...I would state that having the FBI enter/take over an investigation in such short order speaks volumes as to these types of issues being "dealt with". Personally, I truly hope the perpetrator(s) is caught...and soon (Letting this investigation fester only gives the conspirators time to spin and warp). Regarding the lifetime ban, he/she/they should be more worried about being federally prosecuted for a hate crime...which I hope he/she/they are to the fullest extent of the law.

Again, the preceding was meant respectfully.

ENGINE TUNER

Scorpaguy wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 04:07
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 02:05
strad wrote:

ET...may I respectfully state that using the phrases, "all the time" & "day to day basis", could be construed as hyperbole. In my near 60 years of living in the south (not deep south mind you), I can recall of but a few....certainly less than 5 in my state (more like 2 or 3). Since the Mod strictly forbids comments on the integrity of the media, I shall not trod there.

As for the Darrell "Bubba" Wallace investigation...I would state that having the FBI enter/take over an investigation in such short order speaks volumes as to these types of issues being "dealt with". Personally, I truly hope the perpetrator(s) is caught...and soon (Letting this investigation fester only gives the conspirators time to spin and warp). Regarding the lifetime ban, he/she/they should be more worried about being federally prosecuted for a hate crime...which I hope he/she/they are to the fullest extent of the law.

Again, the preceding was meant respectfully.
It is no hyperbole and has nothing to do with the media. Racial intimidation, especially in the workplace, in rampant in the states. The fbi are involved because it is such high profile.

Conspirators?
Like I said, these things are usually downplayed or outright ignored, and that is one reason why they keep happening. Apparently another noose was found on the grounds of Sonoma raceway in Nocal.

mclaren111

Scorpaguy wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 01:57
Just_a_fan wrote:

By definition, a racist has to be stupid. But this level of stupidity is beyond comprehension. That area is restricted to team members...as well as secured and monitored...and basically no fans. WTH! Should hear something soon.

Have to disagree with you... Come and live in South Africa for a couple of years and let's see...

I'm pissed off that the Confederate Flag was banned... PC Madness...

strad

It is no hyperbole and has nothing to do with the media. Racial intimidation, especially in the workplace, in rampant in the state
You are so wrong. Clearly you don't live here. Can't imagine where you get your news. maybe you could supply a link to your source.
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Well well well,, Turns out the "noose" wasn't a noose at all but rather it was a rope used as a garage door pull down rope that had been there for many months.
Sir Stirling Moss

RZS10

what a clown world we live in ... this story smelled like absolute garbage from the start and now it turns out it was just a slightly shorter pull rope ... =D> =D> =D>

ENGINE TUNER

strad wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 22:17
It is no hyperbole and has nothing to do with the media. Racial intimidation, especially in the workplace, in rampant in the state
You are so wrong. Clearly you don't live here. Can't imagine where you get your news. maybe you could supply a link to your source.
I have lived all over the us and have been subjected to racial abuse everywhere I have been FIRST HAND by police and private citizens. NYC, Detroit, SoCal, SoFlo, Chicago, Atlanta, Ohio and even while in the military. People like you who deny that it exists is why part of the reason why it continues.