Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
RicME85

Re: Formula E

The new bodywork definitely minimises the effect of the halo

Jolle
Jolle

roon wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 01:25
What's interesting to me here is that when you drop the rabid pursuit of aero, CoG, and vehicle weight, via the formula, there is freedom to develop aesthetics. This is the 3D equivalent of livery.

Think of the fun other series get to have in this regard, Tifosi lights and all:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/wp-conten ... ace-15.jpg

chapmanlung wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 01:17
...I do have a concern about the cockpit exit. For a driver getting out (regardless of the situation) they first have to climb out through the halo and then climb into the car. there seems to be a reasonable bit of bodywork in between the cockpit and the driver touching the ground.
In a stationary state, it would be easy for the driver to get in and out. but in an emergency like a crash, would it be dangerous for drivers to get out without the risk of stumbling?
FIA policy is to revert upended cars. Then extract the driver. There was a press conference about the halo a while back, wherein FIA officials expressed this.
Especially in FE, where if you tried to climb out yourself, while the car is upsidown, you might get a fatal shock (touching the ground and car), halo or no halo. Stay put and don't touch anything until the guys with the rubber gloves and hooks get there....

mzso
mzso

Jolle wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 14:49
Especially in FE, where if you tried to climb out yourself, while the car is upsidown, you might get a fatal shock (touching the ground and car), halo or no halo. Stay put and don't touch anything until the guys with the rubber gloves and hooks get there....
That's not how electricity works. There's no voltage between the earth and the battery.

Jolle
Jolle

mzso wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 15:17
Jolle wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 14:49
That's not how electricity works. There's no voltage between the earth and the battery.
Duh....

but when a car has such a nasty accident that it's upside-down, there is a risk of the car being "live", aka current on (parts of) the chassis. Grounding the car with your body will be deadly then.

mzso
mzso

Jolle wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 15:49
Duh....

but when a car has such a nasty accident that it's upside-down, there is a risk of the car being "live", aka current on (parts of) the chassis. Grounding the car with your body will be deadly then.
You still don't get it. It wouldn't be attracted to the earth. Nothing would happen.
Also the battery cells themselves have tiny voltage and the power electronics would shut down in a crash.

Furthermore. carbon fibre composites (which all the structural parts are mad of) don't conduct electricity, so the car couldn't become "live" even if you connected it to mains voltage.

You'd need to touch both poles of the power electronics' output simultaneously while it is on. There's no possibility of that happening.

Jolle
Jolle

mzso wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 16:08
Jolle wrote:
Duh....

You still don't get it. It wouldn't be attracted to the earth. Nothing would happen.
Also the battery cells themselves have tiny voltage and the power electronics would shut down in a crash.

Furthermore. carbon fibre composites (which all the structural parts are mad of) don't conduct electricity, so the car couldn't become "live" even if you connected it to mains voltage.

You'd need to touch both poles of the power electronics' output simultaneously while it is on. There's no possibility of that happening.
in F1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__DpDTDyc4g

and in FE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFM42sY_YWE

plus, i think it was in Mexico where Hulk was asked not to ground the car but jump off. And yes, the car is carbon, but there is still a lot of metal, wires for example, all over the car (and even on the drivers)
Last edited by Jolle on 31 Jan 2018, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Say what you like about the quality of the racing etc, Formula E are definitely doing a good marketing the brand. The 2018 car definitely got my 10 year old boy excited with F1 cars looking decidedly 'meh' by comparision.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

bonjon1979 wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 16:19
Say what you like about the quality of the racing etc, Formula E are definitely doing a good marketing the brand. The 2018 car definitely got my 10 year old boy excited with F1 cars looking decidedly 'meh' by comparision.
Your boy is not the only one excited by the look of the new FE cars!

mzso
mzso

Jolle wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 16:15
in F1: BMW Mechanic in KERS Shocker
I don't speak italian, but a commenter says it was an electrostatic shock.
Jolle wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 16:15
and in FE: What Happens When You Crash A Formula E Car?
I have my doubts. Wouldn't be the first pointless safety measure for something that has an astronomically low chance of happening.

Probably true. But they surely don't have high voltage anywhere besides between the power electronics and engine. Actually they tend to build the two into one aggregate.

Andres125sx

mzso wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 16:08
Jolle wrote:
Duh....

What????? :wtf: :wtf:

Carbon fiber conducts electricity, please instruct yourself before throwing BS to the forum

Andres125sx

So most people ask for ground effects in F1 instead of wings causing dirty air, and when FE adopt that route, most people does criticize it #-o

IMHO this car looks like the start of a revolution I´ve been waiting for years. I think wings are outdated. Nowadays engineers can create more than enough DF without using wings wich produce turbulence, dirty air, aero problems to the chasing car, and harm wheel to wheel racing.

Maybe not the most developed concept but it´s just a start for a spec series, I can´t wait to see how this will evolve

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 18:48
So most people ask for ground effects in F1 instead of wings causing dirty air, and when FE adopt that route, most people does criticize it #-o

IMHO this car looks like the start of a revolution I´ve been waiting for years. I think wings are outdated. Nowadays engineers can create more than enough DF without using wings wich produce turbulence, dirty air, aero problems to the chasing car, and harm wheel to wheel racing.

Maybe not the most developed concept but it´s just a start for a spec series, I can´t wait to see how this will evolve
agreed.

matter of fact, it immediately reminded me of Jeroen Claus' - a fellow board member - design only does he use an aeroscreen instead of a halo, and it's an openwheeler.

this one also has a wider nose/cockpit section.

i quite like this new formula E design, though i'm neutral at the halo lighting up. i don't see the benefit, but whatever.

i'd really like to see these formula E cars with a current F1 livery. would be interesting to see.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

roon
roon

Tim.Wright wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 08:57
There's something about styled surfaces on racars that makes me vomit a bit in my mouth.
I take it you are not a fan of NASCAR, Baja, rally, Indy, touring cars, GT classes, hillclimb, time attack, Super GT, Superbikes, drag racing, tractor pull, dirt track, drifting, DTM, or most everything pre-aero era. This may leave you with open-wheel classes, but they are largely styled by regulations. One may say, "That's not styling, it's sober decision making." The engineering exec and the regulator may be thought of as impartial evaluators of pure data, making no arbitrary decisions, yet we see a field full of geometrically distinct bodywork in F1. Too distinct, often, as the free development areas on the cars are few and often limited. Each pursues their own preferences and best guesses toward what they think will create the best finished product. Artists (maybe not the post-modern types) approach their work in the same way.

mzso wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 10:34
roon wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 01:25
there is freedom to develop aesthetics. This is the 3D equivalent of livery.

Think of the fun other series get to have in this regard, Tifosi lights and all:
Ugh. More superficial crap is one thing I don't miss in formula E (and 1).

People are whining about to much superficial, insignificant stuff. Halo, lack of noise and such.
I provisionally redact my support for in-HX-duct Christmas lights.

FW17

Andres125sx wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 18:48

That is not a GE tunnel, it is just an enlarged diffuser.

There is no necessity for the diffuser to extend behind the rear tyre line, however large it is

It is also looks clumsy to have the rear wheel pod fused with the side pod rather than having separate elements to highlight the narrow drive train elements of the car.

There needs to be a clear distinction between a open wheel car and a sports car prototype. It is alright to have a open wheel car with wheel pods to reduce drag while keeping suspension elements open to view. This car is a fusion of the two at the rear and just looks ugly.

bill shoe
bill shoe

FW17 wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 17:00
That is not a GE tunnel, it is just an enlarged diffuser.

There is no necessity for the diffuser to extend behind the rear tyre line, however large it is
Don't understand this even though I'm not an aero expert. F1 cars in the days of flat bottoms and relatively unregulated diffusers (mid-80's to ~ 2000?) had rear diffusers that extended well behind rear wheel centerline.

Formula E cars are known to be quite rear-heavy, which is compatible with typical city street circuit with lots of straight-line accel/brake and slow corners. So the aero CP should be pretty far aft.