Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
mclaren111

Re: Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

adrianjordan wrote:
03 May 2017, 21:28
Why oh why couldn't that have been the F1 livery this year as well??
Soooooo agree with you !!!!!!!!!!!!!! STUNNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we send this message to Zak - anybody ??

Vasconia

ClarkBT11 wrote:
04 May 2017, 00:01
Just watched all the testing, the Americans are very excited and enthusiastic and have a great respect for Alonso as a driver. The reporter asked how it felt going into the corners at 227 mph Alonso replied I wanted to have my foot flat but my brain was telling it to lift off, the reporter was very surprised with how honest he was and said it was very classy for him to be so open. Alonso hasn't smiled so much in 3 years. Is the race going to be streamed live on youtube for free?

@ radosav a dialed car is an english expression that the driver has the perfect setup to suit his driving style, today they weren't concentrating on performance.
He is a like a Little boy with a new toy. I can imagine how motivated he must be right now.

ClarkBT11

He must be buzzing, the amount of coverage McLaren will get in America surely will be enough compensation for missing Monaco. Imagine if he wins that would be marketing gold.
Alonso he said in the interview in F1 they're are many variables that can fail on a F1 car, a Indy car you can just start it up and go, less can go wrong it's up to the driver to make​ the difference. I think maybe that's what we're missing in F1, less complicated areo,engine,tyres and concentrate on the racing.

marvin78
marvin78

Perhaps you could say: If you want that, drive/watch Indycar? Every Series has it's character. Racing is a big word. It can mean different things obviously.

marmer
marmer

liberty were on about doing some non championship races perhaps Indy could be one off once a year big cash prize for driver/team and a trophy.
make it so it doesn't count with engine parts so all teams could give the 500 a real crack

toraabe
toraabe

marmer wrote:
04 May 2017, 06:57
iotar__ wrote:
04 May 2017, 00:41
Wasn't Alonso complaining that last year's F1 cars weren't quick, manly and fun enough to drive? How can this toy Indy car :wink: be 'fun' then? This is how much those uncompromising opinions of pure racers are worth. Zero.
Indy Cars go quit fast he did 15 laps with an speed of over 215 mph, the cars will feel fast in the corners.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/05/05- ... o-IMS-test

his opinion that the old cars where to easy to drive and not physically demanding still stands. much higher cornering speeds and sheer number of cars will give alonsos body and mind a good work out in indy
Remember that these racecars has venturi tunnels ( groundeffect ) that creates massive downforce without putting on tons of wings. http://media.cleveland.com/autoracing_i ... 48c8cb.jpg

ClarkBT11

marvin78 wrote:
04 May 2017, 13:46
Perhaps you could say: If you want that, drive/watch Indycar? Every Series has it's character. Racing is a big word. It can mean different things obviously.
No that's the direction F1 will go, more ground effects cheaper less complicated engines, no more artificial tyres and DRS.
If that's the character of racing you like then each to their own. Racing obviously means different things between me and you. I would just like to see more close foot to the floor racing waiting for a driver to make a mistake something intense instead of a procession.

marvin78
marvin78

ClarkBT11 wrote:
04 May 2017, 15:31
marvin78 wrote:
04 May 2017, 13:46
No that's the direction F1 will go, more ground effects cheaper less complicated engines, no more artificial tyres and DRS.
If that's the character of racing you like then each to their own. Racing obviously means different things between me and you. I would just like to see more close foot to the floor racing waiting for a driver to make a mistake something intense instead of a procession.
Oh I didn't say that F1 is the type of racing that I like in general. I would like a F1 that is far less complicated and would provide more racing of the type you mean. But I think that current F1 provides another type of racing that is not so bad if you look from another perspective. I like to have an open mind in this area. But part of me would be very happy, if F1 would turn into a pure drivers championchip. I just don't think that that will happen very early (and I don't think that F1 has been such a championchip ever and it's never been the character of the Formula 1). The reg changes for this year are the maximum in this direction that we will see for a long time. And I think it is a big step already. You can see that some drivers can handle the dirty air, and some can't. Even if the picture is not very clear until now (because some of this skills are clearly dependent on the car that you drive and the also the car you follow) you can say that this is a step into the right direction. But I don't think that this is something that changes if you change rules to a complete other formular. It changes only the type of skills you need to suceed, I think.

ClarkBT11

Yes I agree, it's not going to change overnight. I'm pretty confident Ross Brawn will lead F1 in the right direction.

torpor
torpor

Formula 1 was and is a high-budget high-tech constructor's championship.
Everyone who tries to change this will kill F1. If you want something different you can watch Indy or DTM.

Don't get me wrong. I also enjoyed watching Indy.
Burt saying it would be good to make F1 more like Indy is like making soccer more like handball.

The_table

The video of Alonso testing on the indycar youtube channel has 1.3 MILLION views after 1 day , that's INSANE 0.0 ....

The livestream itself had about 70K people watching it, i've never seen a livestream on youtube with that many viewers... (Besides the red bull stratos jump...)

PlatinumZealot

dans79 wrote:
03 May 2017, 23:52
radosav wrote:
03 May 2017, 23:43
What is dialed in car?
A car that's got a good set-up. The set-up today was less than ideal do to the temperatures and wind conditions.

I should add the PETA will be after him for this. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_4W9P77AtQ
Killing two birds with one firestone...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Because of the brand damage Honda has endured in F1, rumours say they will ensure that Fernando wins Indy by giving him a "special engine. "

I think this one could be true?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

HPD

The_table wrote:
05 May 2017, 00:49
The video of Alonso testing on the indycar youtube channel has 1.3 MILLION views after 1 day , that's INSANE 0.0 ....

The livestream itself had about 70K people watching it, i've never seen a livestream on youtube with that many viewers... (Besides the red bull stratos jump...)

Facebook = 950.000
YouTube = 1.200.000
Total = 2.149.000 Spectators (The direct on the day)
https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/ ... 3910339585

Jolle
Jolle

Is the "Fernando Alonso" in the "days of thunder cursif" typeface a big f-u to Ron Dennis? If he was dead he would turn in his grave....

Somehow I don't get it, this would have been an excellent chance to have the same livery (and helmet) as their F1 car, to make maximum use of the marketing. Now they go with some kind of retro McLaren look... (or it's just the testing livery)