Infinity Wings

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
'Tis me, just me.

Infinity Wings

Post by 'Tis me, just me. » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:47 pm

https://youtu.be/CLfkcm-0EA0

Why don't we see infinity wings in F1, are they banned? If not I think the designers are missing out on something big. It would be so cool to see these on the grid.

hollus

Re: Formula 1 Aerodynamics - article series and general discussion

Post by hollus » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:26 am

Something like that is so far from what is described in the F1 technical regulations that it is beyond forbidden.
But in any case, the aero needs for the car in your video are so far away from the needs for an F1 car that one would never use the same solution in both. I mean, the front on one car has nothing to do with the front of the other car.
...not because they are easy, but because they are hard!

jjn9128

Re: Infinity Wings

Post by jjn9128 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:34 am

This is a better video explaining the concept - the design is really a result of the onset flow field having incidence relative to the centre plane of the car. In F1 the front wing is unobstructed and unhindered by any other geometry. That said, if you look around the bargeboard area of an F1 car, they have a lot of little winglets of a similar design - creating side-force which aids the bargeboards in pushing air outboard of the car.

#aerogandalf