Wheel with integrated suspension

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

Hi ,
I have a simular idea but this solution i reused in beginning.
This solution very lowing the consistenc of whole car.
So i did something diferent.I put dampers on the tyre.If will be in tyre more dumpers can curl a tyre on curve.If tis dumpers will be hydraulic with eletronic control(like Williams from1993)can forecast surfice of track mutch faster than car with "classic" eletronic -hydraulic dumper.Dumpers can reaction on directing elements or by laser net monitoring surfice of trac infront wheel.This solution of cource have a mutch problems -in wheel must be a hydraulic pump-this is havy and complicated.
And rules of formula 1 forget on eletronic controlet tyre(there is only min. pressure).This pictures are very simply,but showing what i wrote.On first pictures can more number of dumpers and can be put diagonaly like wires in tyre.
And secon pictures showing solution on tyre with diferet rate.This a idea from Adidas smart shoe whitch eletronicly adapt rate on diferent surfices.
Eletric engine turning with shaft on reaction from directing element.
This solution is simply and effective.
Image[/img][/list]

manchild
manchild

What would happen if this solid layer would be shaped/produced with transversal section resembling on “H” (rotated 90 degrees)?

I’m thinking on “H” with very short “shank”. There is also one more version of layer shown on the drawing but I couldn’t come up with appropriate letter for it :wink:

That could enable deformation under lateral forces including the fulfillment of demands caused by camber?

manchild
manchild

Racing outlook, chambers with compressed air instead of springs

wowf1
wowf1

Yep very interesting! I believe that there is so much possible development with wheels and tyres in racing that has not yet been conceived. (I have a few interesting ideas of my own that i may reveal!)

However, i'm afraid more problems with your idea manchild:

The wheel would be incredibly difficult to balance! Achieving perfect symmetricy of masses when you have that many components and fixings would be a nightmare.

Secondly, the shocks would need to be identical in length (as well as weight) Which is possible i guess, but it means precise setup of every wheel by a suspension expert. Think of how many tyres and hence wheels F1 teams use every year! 1000's just for one team...

(multiply by 11 teams and you have a LOT of wheels)

Which leads me to another point, right now F1 wheels are machined from Magnesium billet, and its a pretty good bet that they're all the same mass, density etc. (within a tiny amount anway). This removes the wheels from factors that vary. However, having 1000's of manchild's hand-assembled wheels means that there MUST be inaccuracies and variations in the dampers.

My final point is the cost. Not only the cost of your proposed Carbon/exqusite materials. But the time of experts adjusting each wheel so it is perfect (I'm talking shaving material off the springs so they're all identical etc.) F1 is about microns afterall.

All that said, I crave innovation, and love to see other people thinking about different approaches, so I applaud you for that!

Rob

manchild
manchild

wowf1 wrote:The wheel would be incredibly difficult to balance! Achieving perfect symmetricy of masses when you have that many components and fixings would be a nightmare.
If everything is made using CNC there shouldn't be more balancing problems than with pneumatics.
wowf1 wrote: Secondly, the shocks would need to be identical in length (as well as weight) Which is possible i guess, but it means precise setup of every wheel by a suspension expert. Think of how many tyres and hence wheels F1 teams use every year! 1000's just for one team....
Same answer - CNC. Also, regarding balance, I did mention pipeline connecting shocks cylinders and another that would connect chambers with compressed air if they'd be used instead of springs.
wowf1 wrote:Which leads me to another point, right now F1 wheels are machined from Magnesium billet, and its a pretty good bet that they're all the same mass, density etc. (within a tiny amount anway). This removes the wheels from factors that vary. However, having 1000's of manchild's hand-assembled wheels means that there MUST be inaccuracies and variations in the dampers.
I'm not thinking that there would be one or two wheel suppliers as it is now in F1. Perhaps rim and the rubber would be supplied by them while inner elements would be designed and manufactured by teams.
wowf1 wrote:My final point is the cost. Not only the cost of your proposed Carbon/exqusite materials. But the time of experts adjusting each wheel so it is perfect (I'm talking shaving material off the springs so they're all identical etc.) F1 is about microns afterall..
It would cost much more, I agree, but money shouldn’t stop the technology from coming into F1. Limiting of technology trough technology ban as we’re witnessing for more than a decade has only ruined the sport.
F1 should be all or nothing when it matters technology.

BTW, consider this latest improvement I've suggested not only as F1 thing but as possible solution to problems in practical use for other vehicles too.

manchild
manchild

Re: Wheel with integrated suspension

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Triumph 'sprung-hub' from ~70 years ago..

"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

netoperek
netoperek

I assume that's Your idea put into good use (can't see the pictures in previous posts anymore), congrats manchild!
Have You thought about magnetorheological, solenoid-like or linear motor based, for active or semiactive dampers with possible energy recovery for ev's?