2014 Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
motorloon1993
motorloon1993
4
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: 2014 Design

Post

I think the front of the cars will look like a merge between the pre-09 and post-09 cars really, I'm looking forward to this personally I bet they will look pretty sleek.

motorloon1993
motorloon1993
4
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: 2014 Design

Post

Image

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: 2014 Design

Post

photoshopped?
#AeroFrodo

User avatar
raymondu999
156
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am

Re: 2014 Design

Post

turbof1 wrote:photoshopped?
Yes. That was the RB6. They just basically rotated everything forward of the front axle downwards.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

User avatar
seventhsin
16
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:53 am

Re: 2014 Design

Post

Booooooo! I like the high aggressive noses, the cars remind me of fighter jets this year. I still like Lotus stepped nose too.

motorloon1993
motorloon1993
4
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: 2014 Design

Post

I'm really looking forward to the low noses, I think the shop looks fantastic.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9
10
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 am

Re: 2014 Design

Post

I think what's getting me about the low noses is that they remind me of the older formulas (pre-2009) and so I feel like it's all being retrograded (along with the v6s). This is different from the 2009 reg-change since that not only cleaned up the look but was radically different from pretty much anything that was used before (with the extremely wide wings and high noses). The low noses pre-2009 were combined with the bonkers aero devices.

I guess I would like some aero development to change up the look of the cars so that we don't see the evolution of F1 cars go from:

Image

to

Image

to

Image

to

Image

Huntresa
Huntresa
54
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 am

Re: 2014 Design

Post

RB7ate9 wrote:I think what's getting me about the low noses is that they remind me of the older formulas (pre-2009) and so I feel like it's all being retrograded (along with the v6s). This is different from the 2009 reg-change since that not only cleaned up the look but was radically different from pretty much anything that was used before (with the extremely wide wings and high noses). The low noses pre-2009 were combined with the bonkers aero devices.

I guess I would like some aero development to change up the look of the cars so that we don't see the evolution of F1 cars go from:

http://world.honda.com/news/2008/c08012 ... ges/01.jpg

to

http://yunii.com/full/113886-gravity-al ... -laist.jpg

to

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-U09qLoY7mV8/T ... %253B4.jpg

to

http://media.emercedesbenz.com/magazine ... 0_3081.jpg
You gotta remeber it wont go to the pic of 2010 Merc, we will get shorter FWs that are still being debated where it should be inwash or outwash design and since we get a complete new and different engine the entire back of the car will be very different and may limit certain aero stuff they use today and/or open up new stuff, so we will get a new aero look, im 100% certain of that.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9
10
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 am

Re: 2014 Design

Post

The main reason I used the 2010 Merc was for the lower nose and most likely the airbox/engine cover of the cars will be the same as per roll-hoop regulations most likely being the same. Sure the rear end will be different due to the turbo exhausts, but they're not going to bring back any aero devices. To wit, the FIA initially wanted to remove turning vanes and other aero aspects. The heads at F1 are trying to reduce the aero advantage for the sake of the "show".

Huntresa
Huntresa
54
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 am

Re: 2014 Design

Post

RB7ate9 wrote:The main reason I used the 2010 Merc was for the lower nose and most likely the airbox/engine cover of the cars will be the same as per roll-hoop regulations most likely being the same. Sure the rear end will be different due to the turbo exhausts, but they're not going to bring back any aero devices. To wit, the FIA initially wanted to remove turning vanes and other aero aspects. The heads at F1 are trying to reduce the aero advantage for the sake of the "show".
I didnt mean aero devices as pre-09, i just meant we will get a different looking car with a different aero profile, as in different in the way air will move around the car and different how it will work the air etc.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9
10
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 am

Re: 2014 Design

Post

Huntresa wrote:
RB7ate9 wrote:The main reason I used the 2010 Merc was for the lower nose and most likely the airbox/engine cover of the cars will be the same as per roll-hoop regulations most likely being the same. Sure the rear end will be different due to the turbo exhausts, but they're not going to bring back any aero devices. To wit, the FIA initially wanted to remove turning vanes and other aero aspects. The heads at F1 are trying to reduce the aero advantage for the sake of the "show".
I didnt mean aero devices as pre-09, i just meant we will get a different looking car with a different aero profile, as in different in the way air will move around the car and different how it will work the air etc.
I see.

Neno
Neno
-24
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 12:41 am

Re: 2014 Design

Post

Personally i expect designs cars like 2004-2006. All that cars in that era they had, low noses, with shorter front wing and they had if i am not wrong one single curved plate. So i expect at least that kind of noses, because from 2006-2008 front wings had more then just single curved plate.

User avatar
FW17
232
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 am

Re: 2014 Design

Post

Image

I guess it will be getting the air flow around the nose cone rather than under.

User avatar
RicerDude
28
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: 2014 Design

Post

WilliamsF1 wrote:http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... 9ff873.jpg

I guess it will be getting the air flow around the nose cone rather than under.
That front wing looks huge for a 2004 car or is it just me?

Blanchimont
Blanchimont
309
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:47 pm

Re: 2014 Design

Post

The front wing is photoshopped to fit the 2013(i think) rules regarding maximum width.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)