Any free and good CFD software ?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
firasf1dream
firasf1dream

Any free and good CFD software ?

hello guys,
i need please a free and good CFD software to study a design, i am using windows xp and my design will be made by solidworks or catia

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: Any free and good CFD software ?

http://www.openfoam.com/

linux only so far as I'm aware, so you'll need a dual boot.

machin

I've been using Khamsin (http://www.hibouscientificsoftware.com.au/) which is a plug-in for google Sketchup (free), which uses openfoam. It has a 30 day free trial period. I'm using it on Windows 7... not sure about XP. You can import Solidworks models into Sketchup. Took me a few days to get it working, but there's plenty of helpful posts on this forum (search for Khamsin Virtual race car championship).
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

I was thinking about downloading some Windows binaries of OpenFOAM just to play around with... but you'd think the best option would really be to just get the source and compile it yourself. I'd have to guess that code optimized to whatever processor you have (e.g. if you can take advantage of AVX, AVX2, or AVX512...) would make a noticeable difference in performance!
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

Jersey Tom wrote:I was thinking about downloading some Windows binaries of OpenFOAM just to play around with... but you'd think the best option would really be to just get the source and compile it yourself. I'd have to guess that code optimized to whatever processor you have (e.g. if you can take advantage of AVX, AVX2, or AVX512...) would make a noticeable difference in performance!
i didn;t really get what you mean here and what should i do ?!

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

machin wrote:I've been using Khamsin (http://www.hibouscientificsoftware.com.au/) which is a plug-in for google Sketchup (free), which uses openfoam. It has a 30 day free trial period. I'm using it on Windows 7... not sure about XP. You can import Solidworks models into Sketchup. Took me a few days to get it working, but there's plenty of helpful posts on this forum (search for Khamsin Virtual race car championship).
does this study aerodynamics around the car ?

but sketch up is more for architecture i guess isn't it ?

machin

No, it'll do cars too... here is a video showing some of the cars that have been analysed. It (Khamsin) uses openFOAM, the google Sketchup program is just used as an interface.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

waw ! seems awesome thanks a lot :D
and does it give me all the calculations i need around the car ?

btw does anyone have an idea about FloWizard ? for fluid study, i have it on my laptop i learned a bit how to work with it but the problem i have is when i want to calculate the results, it takes hours and hours and doesn't finish !! so any idea about it ?

andylaurence

You're trying to predict the movement of a fluid. It's non-trivial. Expect something simple on a high power cluster to take minutes. Expect a full body simulation of a car on your laptop to take all week.

machin

firasf1dream wrote:waw ! seems awesome thanks a lot :D
and does it give me all the calculations i need around the car ?
Yes, it'll give you drag and lift figures, from which you can easily calculate the flow coefficients, if that is what you're after.

I've been doing some analyses of simple vehicle shapes with 0.01m mesh size (on the surface of the car) and it takes about 4 hours to do 500 iterations. That's on a little laptop, so would be shorter on a better machine. I just leave the machine on overnight doing the sums.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

aha ok thanks for the info
what about Autodesk Simulation CFD any idea ? because i ordered it
and will it take too long to make the calculations too ?

Lycoming
Lycoming

How long it takes to do the calculations depends on how complicated your model is. But generally, only very simple cases will be solved on a typical laptop in minutes.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

aha alright thanks

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

hello guys,
my last choice it will be Autodesk Simulation CFD i bought it and installed it and took a look at it, it's great to work with :)
2014 version which is the last to work on XP windows, because 2015 no more for xp

as for Autodesk simulation composite design 2015 it will still be working on xp windows

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

machin wrote:...
I've been doing some analyses of simple vehicle shapes with 0.01m mesh size (on the surface of the car) and it takes about 4 hours to do 500 iterations. That's on a little laptop, so would be shorter on a better machine. I just leave the machine on overnight doing the sums.
The trick to getting viscous CFD to run in reasonable times on personal computers is to have a program that utilizes adaptive meshing. The program will decide how fine the mesh needs to be. I've used this with Nika/ProEFD/Flowsim for years. I sometimes override this for a special need. For instance, when analyzing aero-optical distortion over a sensor window, the optics guy wants a very small uniform mesh over the entire window. But for most everything else, I just set the starting grid to some size to get the calculation running, then let the program add or combine mesh blocks as it sees fit. This saves a huge amount of time over requiring a small mesh where you might not need it.

(I also have an older version ALGOR/Autodesk CFD and have had problems with it - including just getting it to mesh correctly.)

I don't know if any of the free CFD programs use adaptive meshing. The papers outlining the scheme have been in the public domain since ~the late 80s?