F1 "closed": for or against ?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

Formula 1 closed :

for
42%
against
53%
no idea
5%

Total votes: 102

Rhodium

F1 "closed": for or against ?

I think about that since long time ago.
F1 is always F1 if they close the car ?

today, i see they think about this solution:

or

for 2017 or 2018...
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-co ... gn-672256/

IMO, it's really important to keep an open cockpit, it's like that since 60 years, it's the heart of F1...

hemichromis
hemichromis

Re: F1 "closed": for or against ?

I'm not sure i like closed cockpits it wouldn't have helped Bianchi anyway.

Chene_Mostert

It's hideous.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

DarkAlman
DarkAlman

I'm for the "idea" of closed cockpits, but not a halfassed implementation like this.

A closed cockpit wouldn't have saved Jules.
A halo probably wouldn't have stopped the spring that hit Massa in the head.

If F1 wants to go in this direction then they should use an aircraft style canopy or better an angled windscreen that can deflect incoming debris (and be an aero part of the car) that doesn't stop the driver from getting out of the car after a crash.

To take some inspiration from the past:
Have a thicker and taller windscreen in this style

proteus

i am sorry, but if this becomes the reality i will simply stop watching. Im not against safety of the drivers, but im strongly against using the most hidius and strange solutions...
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

DarkAlman wrote:I'm for the "idea" of closed cockpits, but not a halfassed implementation like this.

A closed cockpit wouldn't have saved Jules.
A halo probably wouldn't have stopped the spring that hit Massa in the head.

If F1 wants to go in this direction then they should use an aircraft style canopy or better an angled windscreen that can deflect incoming debris (and be an aero part of the car) that doesn't stop the driver from getting out of the car after a crash.

To take some inspiration from the past:
Have a thicker and taller windscreen in this style
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 41x529.jpg
ATS was nicely shaped as well:

If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

FW17

proteus wrote:i am sorry, but if this becomes the reality i will simply stop watching. Im not against safety of the drivers, but im strongly against using the most hidius and strange solutions...

Why didn't you stop when these ugly cockpit sides came along?

scuderiafan

It's strange to me that the halo concept wasn't born *with* a windscreen. Why have a funky retainer-looking "halo" with no added protection against debris a la Massa's incident with the spring off of the Brawn chassis.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

DarkAlman
DarkAlman

The Halo seems to be nothing more than a half-assed tack on solution for the existing cars.

Adding any kind of canopy would require a significant change in design and the rules. So if they are going to do it, why not do it right in the first place?

DarkAlman
DarkAlman

proteus wrote:ATS was nicely shaped as well:

http://b.f1-facts.com/ul/a/3565
That is really cool looking actually. Kinda like an X-wing Canopy.

Quick someone photoshop that onto the X-wing Prost F1! /kidding!

SectorOne

If they have to go down that route then i would like to see fighter jet canopies.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

bauc

I'm all for improved safety, but F1 is, and always have been open cockpit sport. Accidents are pron to happen in any sport, I just saw a basketball player failing on his neck after a bad collision with other player when trying to dunk the ball resulting with serous injures, he could have very easily been left paralyzed or worse, so does that mean that we should ban dunking in basketball or reducing how high a man can jump to avoid injury? Same with F1, injuries are part of the danger of the sport, each driver is fully aware of that. Therefore F1 must continue working on improving F1 safety, but it also must remain true to its roots.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

ME4ME

Personally I am pro-canopy, but not the ridiculous looking concept currently being evaluated.
The solution in this picture would protect the driver in the situation of debris shooting towards him, and cars sliding over each other, decapitating the driver (Grosjeans car nearly did that to Alonso at SPA 2012).

FW17

Why didn't they think of motorcycle canopy type of thing, we can still see the driver and all

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

^ how would the driver get out ?