How much Tolerance needed for bearing inserted into aluminium alloy ?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: How much Tolerance needed for bearing inserted into aluminium alloy ?

Frankly your are in the wrong forum. I would suggest a forum dealing with machining/fabrication or model making.

Knowing where to look is just as important as knowing what to ask.

Brian

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

hardingfv32 wrote:Frankly your are in the wrong forum. I would suggest a forum dealing with machining/fabrication or model making.

Knowing where to look is just as important as knowing what to ask.

Brian
about that you are totally right Brian thank you

PhillipM
PhillipM

For what you're doing, you'd be better fabricating the upright out of welded sheet.

marcush.
marcush.

Mep summed it up pretty much ...a simple calculation will bring you into the ballpark.Living in the wrong Country is not an excuse These days with Internet you are 1 click away from recource.a Forum is usually a source of questionable Expertise and you have to actually know more than average to be able to separate BS from Milk .

One last hint: When I was Young and unixperienced one of my buddies was into RC -car Racing .I was rather gobsmacked when i learned how he repaired his worn racing engines..I Refrain from telling the Details but rest assured a hammer was in use to adjust bearing fit... If you know what to look for ,the tools do not matter much - we race to win - nobody races CNC lathes or windtunnels or dynos or CFD as far as I know. ..

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

marcush. wrote: One last hint: When I was Young and unixperienced one of my buddies was into RC -car Racing .I was rather gobsmacked when i learned how he repaired his worn racing engines..I Refrain from telling the Details but rest assured a hammer was in use to adjust bearing fit... If you know what to look for ,the tools do not matter much - we race to win - nobody races CNC lathes or windtunnels or dynos or CFD as far as I know. ..

thank you marcus for your reply
i did not understand what do you mean, can you explain please :/ ?

marcush.
marcush.

I wanted to share my surprise when i learned it was not precision that wa sneeded on the small engine to make it work ! The Forces involved with the tiny conrod at few Millimeters of stroke would not generate the Level of loads which would create a nervous tick on your eyebrow ..you are talking about a quartersize model here so I gues bearing fit is not really that important

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

marcush. wrote:I wanted to share my surprise when i learned it was not precision that wa sneeded on the small engine to make it work ! The Forces involved with the tiny conrod at few Millimeters of stroke would not generate the Level of loads which would create a nervous tick on your eyebrow ..you are talking about a quartersize model here so I gues bearing fit is not really that important
:wtf:
well i have an upright model from yankee made from plastic that uses the same bearing i use, but for plastic the interference must be higher than for metal

riff_raff
riff_raff

The tooling for a casting or molded plastic part will have some draft on the bearing bore surface. So it will need to be finish machined. You can finish machine the bearing bore very accurately using any manual mill and boring head. So all you need to determine is what RT fit you need between the housing bore and bearing OD. Not that difficult.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

riff_raff wrote:The tooling for a casting or molded plastic part will have some draft on the bearing bore surface. So it will need to be finish machined. You can finish machine the bearing bore very accurately using any manual mill and boring head. So all you need to determine is what RT fit you need between the housing bore and bearing OD. Not that difficult.
thank you riff_raff, yes but when i started this thread i had no idea about bearings like real idea but now it's different, i know about the numbering system and other but the only thing i can't tell yet is that a pdf manual for a specific type of bearing that i have doesn't say anything about the interference

PlatinumZealot

Use the bearings tolerance tables on the SKF website.

Also i suggest you machine the uprights since they are so small. Make sure to simplify the design to make machining easier.

Also this is a bit clunky, but you can use a face mounted bearing and just screw it on to the upright.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

PlatinumZealot wrote:Use the bearings tolerance tables on the SKF website.

Also i suggest you machine the uprights since they are so small. Make sure to simplify the design to make machining easier.

Also this is a bit clunky, but you can use a face mounted bearing and just screw it on to the upright.
thank you PlatinumZealot, your suggestions are perfect, will take it into consideration especially for the future,
about the uprights it's not possible to machine it all since the beginning but the bore for the bearing will be machined, i can simplify it a bit on the top,
about surface mount bearing what do you mean ? do you mean like the one in the tip of this wishbone ? which i think it is glued like the tips metal joints of the wishbone
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/wp-conten ... hbone1.jpg