F1 regulations article 10.3.1 explanation in need

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
firasf1dream
firasf1dream

F1 regulations article 10.3.1 explanation in need

hello everyone,
i hope you all had a good weekend start
well i need please a help to understand the article 10.3.1 in the F1 regulations
here is the link for it http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l196/ ... il8bqn.jpg

the article says that the chord of the cross section of the suspension arm must me no more than 10cm and must have a maximum angle of 5 degrees according to the reference plane
but what do they mean about 3.5:1 aspect ratio ?
i tried to search for it, all i could find are the wing Aspect Ratio and Tyres Aspect Ratio
does it mean the thickness ?

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Re: F1 regulations article 10.3.1 explanation in need

It would appear to be the ratio of chord to thickness. It can't really be anything else, since they're specifying the (2D) cross-section.

In the image below, it's the same as saying AB/CD </= 3.5

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

ChrisDanger wrote:It would appear to be the ratio of chord to thickness. It can't really be anything else, since they're specifying the (2D) cross-section.

In the image below, it's the same as saying AB/CD </= 3.5

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/8-2-1208 ... 1350604442
hello Chris, thank you for your reply, so the answer should be 100/CD = 3.5 => 100/3.5 ~28.57mm ?

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

It's just the ratio, which they're saying cant be more than 3.5, i.e. that the chord can't be more than 3.5 times the thickness. The possibilities are endless, but you might calculate the required thickness (for the element to be strong enough) then choose a chord to fit . If your thickness was, say, 20 mm, your chord must be 70mm or smaller.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

ChrisDanger wrote:It's just the ratio, which they're saying cant be more than 3.5, i.e. that the chord can't be more than 3.5 times the thickness. The possibilities are endless, but you might calculate the required thickness (for the element to be strong enough) then choose a chord to fit . If your thickness was, say, 20 mm, your chord must be 70mm or smaller.
ok Chris thank you, i chose the chord first to be 100mm but 1/4 scale so 25mm / 3.5 ~ 7mm which is totally great for my application, the maximum charge will be around 130N and i will be using a Stainless Steel with a tip of 1mm for the tip to be able to bend while under charge

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Great. That should be fine for your purposes. Of course, if the FIA scrutineers got involved they'd ensure that your chord was 24.5mm or less given a thickness of 7mm.

This sounds like an interesting project. You should start a thread covering the building process when you start. Good luck.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

ChrisDanger wrote:Great. That should be fine for your purposes. Of course, if the FIA scrutineers got involved they'd ensure that your chord was 24.5mm or less given a thickness of 7mm.

This sounds like an interesting project. You should start a thread covering the building process when you start. Good luck.
thank you Chris, i will be posting something in the future :)