2017 Tyres revealed

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
F1NAC

2017 Tyres revealed

Here are the size of 2017 tyres. Feel free to delete this topic if it's not necessary

Steven
Owner

Re: 2017 Tyres revealed

Note that the car is an old tester from Pirelli. It has little to do with the 2017 regulations.

I'm still a bit worried about the possible speeds that could be reached with such big tyres combined with a solid increase in downforce. But I guess simulations have been done to prove me wrong...

Anyway, nice view from the rear.
Reminds me of this (1991 Ferrari)

Peter1919

Wow they look huge especially if you compare them to the narrow grooved tyres F1 was using just a few years ago

Steven
Owner

Another pic

SectorOne

The rear tires are so wide it almost looks silly.
Should be interesting seeing how much faster the cars are gonna be out of corners (hairpins like Montreal before back straight for example) with so much more rubber to deal with the power.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Scorpaguy

While I like the "retro" aspect of these "barn doors" (an old AJ Foyt reference to wide rubber)...I think its time the pinnacle of motorsport evolves to low profile type tires.

Formula E's spec tire has been successful and makes for some interesting yaw at times...and looks good. Also, I see little prospect for broad usage of such wide rubber in the future of automotive activities.

However, I suspect the cost of a total redesign of the car (likely required by low profiles) will keep us on 1960's profiled rubber fore some time.

godlameroso

A benefit of having wider tires isn't just the increased grip but also the rear tires will become more durable which will allow drivers to push harder. In fact they'll have to or risk having the tire fall out of it's temperature window, if some teams have trouble getting heat into the tires it's going to be even worse next year. Heavy graining for everyone! :lol:
Saishū kōnā

djos

I love the big tires, they look great!

I really hope these tires and more downforce result in some more manly cars to drive. Should be exciting!
"In downforce we trust"

piast9

In my opinion they look great! A car looks like proper racer. I think that they will look more proportional at 2017 cars. I don't think they modified the suspension at this demo car to widen the track and for sure the bodywork is not wider either.

ctdrftna

That car is at the 2017 track width. The wings were roughly modified to size but not representative of what a 2017 wing will look like.

wuzak

ctdrftna wrote:That car is at the 2017 track width. The wings were roughly modified to size but not representative of what a 2017 wing will look like.
The front doesn't look to be as wide as it could be.

Since the rear tyres are 80mm wider than now, merely bolting them onto an old chassis will almost take it to the full width.

wuzak

Scorpaguy wrote:While I like the "retro" aspect of these "barn doors" (an old AJ Foyt reference to wide rubber)...I think its time the pinnacle of motorsport evolves to low profile type tires.

Formula E's spec tire has been successful and makes for some interesting yaw at times...and looks good. Also, I see little prospect for broad usage of such wide rubber in the future of automotive activities.

However, I suspect the cost of a total redesign of the car (likely required by low profiles) will keep us on 1960's profiled rubber fore some time.
It would require a redesign of the suspension and adjustments to the aero.

But since the 2017 regs are quite different in terms of aero and the overall width has increased, necessitating a redesign of the suspension, 2017 would have been the perfect time to change to larger rims and lower profile tyres.

Formula Wrong

They look perfect
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

Samraj_official

SectorOne wrote:The rear tires are so wide it almost looks silly.
Should be interesting seeing how much faster the cars are gonna be out of corners (hairpins like Montreal before back straight for example) with so much more rubber to deal with the power.
See this thing never ends, everyone asks for retro low slung cars with hugeee rear tires, and they give you, and in return you say they look silly :| :|

SectorOne

Samraj_official wrote:
SectorOne wrote:The rear tires are so wide it almost looks silly.
See this thing never ends, everyone asks for retro low slung cars with hugeee rear tires, and they give you, and in return you say they look silly :| :|
You should read more slowly Samraj. It makes you skip words when you hurry through sentences.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"