2018-2020 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Marble
Marble

Re: 2018-2019 Tyre Thread

Does anyone have the minimum pressures required for each weekend since the beginning of the season please ?

JordanMugen

Pirelli decal on inside of rear tyres is new I think? It bugged me that Pirelli used to omit it. :lol: '
thedutchguy wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 17:08
I took this pic of the Ferrari SF90 Diffuser in France last friday morning, just before practice 1.

JordanMugen

Vote on return to 2018 tyres in Austria for after summer break, requires 7/10 teams to be in favour...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/team ... n/4483178/

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Hopefully it won’t go through, a change like that in the middle of the season isn’t the right way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Aren't these the best tires pirelli have ever brought for F1?

The temps at Canada and France were sky high and yet we barely heard anybody being asked to conserve tires or any tire failures.

Big heat wave in Europe right now, super high temps predicted in Spielberg, hopefully the tires won't fall apart like last year. If they don't then it is some proof that these tire are superior .

Was there any complaints from the team's about not being able to switch on the tires from the last 2 races?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

ENGINE TUNER wrote:Aren't these the best tires pirelli have ever brought for F1?

The temps at Canada and France were sky high and yet we barely heard anybody being asked to conserve tires or any tire failures.

Big heat wave in Europe right now, super high temps predicted in Spielberg, hopefully the tires won't fall apart like last year. If they don't then it is some proof that these tire are superior .

Was there any complaints from the team's about not being able to switch on the tires from the last 2 races?
Obviously there are some teams that are struggling more than others to switch this tires... But, a change will probably be in detriment of those that are managing them.

The teams spent a lot of money working and developing their cars for these tires... Changing them mid season seems unfair to those who got it right... If anything, the teams should be allow to test the thicker compound before it goes into effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Simple. Just have Pirelli supply "thick tyres" to those that want them and "thin tyres" to those that want them. Or perhaps just bring a tyre that no one has tested at all and just say "STFU and use what you're given". At least then it would be equal to all... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 20:57
Obviously there are some teams that are struggling more than others to switch this tires... But, a change will probably be in detriment of those that are managing them.

The teams spent a lot of money working and developing their cars for these tires... Changing them mid season seems unfair to those who got it right... If anything, the teams should be allow to test the thicker compound before it goes into effect.

Have there been any complaints about the tires the last 2 races when the track temps were high? I haven't heard much, except for maybe Haas.

Disregarding any possible tire switch, are these not the best performing pirelli tires that they have supplied since 2011? Pole and race lap records every weekend , minimal conservation, no failures. I really don't see any technical reason to go back to the thicker guage tires except for maybe cold weather races.
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 27 Jun 2019, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Have there been any complaints about the tires the last 2 races when the track temps were high? I haven't heard much, except for maybe Haas.

Disregarding any possible tire switch, ate these not the best performing pirelli tires that they have supplied since 2011? Pole and race lap records every weekend , minimal conservation, no failures. I really don't see any technical reason to go back to the thicker Guage tires except for maybe cold weather races.
Agreed... I believe Hamilton stated that he couldn’t have followed Vettel as close as he did in Montreal on the older tires since those would have probably overheated.

When they talk about “entertainment” is not the wheel to wheel action that we all want, so the show won’t improve... It could change the car’s performance and the pecking order... So you have Ferrari and Red Bull asking for it, to see if that could give them an advantage and get closer or beat Mercedes... That wouldn’t change the racing per se, simply the order.

Can’t find a reason why they should implement the change... But if they need 7 votes, it would seem that Red Bull has 2 (because STR will vote in any direction RBR tells them to), Ferrari has 3 (Alfa will vote as instructed and Haas wants the change)... Which leaves Williams, Racing Point and Renault for 2 more votes (Williams might side with Mercedes, unless they get the feeling that the new tires could help them)... Renault might vote against it, since it’s not their interest to have Haas move up the grid... Leaving Racing Point has probably the deciding vote.

izzy
izzy

Teams don't vote the tyres do they? It's not a democratic choice. Pirelli bring what they like, "in consultation" or something with FIA.

I thought Mario Isola just said the teams haven't formally complained and so this vote is the complaint, but it doesn't have any actual power. Autosport said:
Pirelli can only change its compounds if it identifies a safety concern, if the FIA requests it, or if 70% of teams are in favour of it.
Meanwhile Mario's probably quite happy to have "Pirelli" mentioned another million times while not having any intention of making a huge batch of new tyres and throwing away the ones he's already made, that don't blister on worldwide TV

dans79

izzy wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 21:39
or if 70% of teams are in favour of it.
This is what some teams are hoping for!
197 104 103 7

dans79

Here is a nice talking point about the tires.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... sterreich/
"I had Kimis Sauber in front of my nose at Paul Ricard for the whole race. Although I rode in restless air, the tires held well and I came with a stop over the distance. I used to fall behind after a few laps because the tires overheated. That's where the thinner tread helped. "

Kimi Raikkonen also sees it that way. "Before, after a few laps, I would have had Nico's rest. But he was able to stay close throughout the race. Maybe that's also an indication that something has changed. "
197 104 103 7

LM10
LM10

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 21:08
SmallSoldier wrote:

Disregarding any possible tire switch, ate these not the best performing pirelli tires that they have supplied since 2011? Pole and race lap records every weekend , minimal conservation, no failures. I really don't see any technical reason to go back to the thicker Guage tires except for maybe cold weather races.
Only Mercedes and McLaren seem to be against a possible change to 2018 spec tyres. Williams and Racing Point would just follow their engine supplier.
Most teams being open to a change shows that they simply are not happy. It was not just Haas having problems in France. To name other visible examples, RBR obviously had tyre issues as they were sliding all over the place and Ferrari, yet again, weren't able to heat up the tyres even though track temperatures were at over 50°C at times.

Last year blistering was a problem on just a few tracks, but this year we've not had a track where the majority of the teams have not had tyre problems.

But this will not happen anyway. No chance 70% of the teams agree on that matter - the reason being said above. And it's a good thing not to change it mid-season. One would assume, the pecking order would change massively after such a change and possible wins of teams who are not competitive right now would surely never be appreciated and just looked at as unfair wins.

dans79

In my opinion the vote to revert to 2018 tires will look like this.

For:
  • Ferrari
  • Red Bull Racing
  • Hass - been complaining the loudest
  • Toro Rosso - will do what ever Redbull tells them to do
  • Alfa Romeo- its been said they are against it, but will probably do whaterver Ferrari tells them to do
Against:
  • Mercedes
  • Renault - won't want to help Hass
  • McLaren - seems to do fairly well on the 2019 rubber and hasn't complained about it openly, also definitely won't want to help Hass either
  • Williams - will probably do whatever keeps Mercedes happy, and doesn't need any more changes to make their life worse than it already is
  • Racing Point - will probably do whatever keeps Mercedes happy
197 104 103 7

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

LM10 wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 21:56
It was not just Haas having problems in France. To name other visible examples, RBR obviously had tyre issues as they were sliding all over the place and Ferrari, yet again, weren't able to heat up the tyres even though track temperatures were at over 50°C at times.
I did not see any mention of this in the post race interviews. VET was able to easily pass the McLarens and was closing the gap to VER the whole race. VER pushed hard most of the race, no mention of sliding, graining or tire conservation from him in his post race interview.GAS and RIC started on the reds.