Inverse DRS

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Mclaren340
Mclaren340

Inverse DRS

Could a similar system to DRS be developed that instead increases downforce at the expense of drag. This could be used by a following car when within 1 second of the car in front for certain corners of the circuit. Ideally, the corners chosen would not be overtaking spots, and the system would just be used to keep the following car close enough that they can then attempt an overtake at a later section of track.

Longer term it is still better to find an aero rules package that makes overtaking easier, but this could be a quick and easy short term solution.

JonoNic

Re: Inverse DRS

This can be dangerous when following in dirty air. Aero imbalance and snap oversteer just a few things that can affect the following car. DRS disables when the driver comes off the throttle. How would the driver disable this for a straight? Full throttle? Corners usually have one ideal line so maybe it's best to look at making more than one ideal line.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

Mclaren340
Mclaren340

Deactivation could be manually controlled by the driver pressing a button. They will want to deactivate it as soon as possible after a corner to reduce drag for the straight.

If for some reason they don't deactivate it manually, then it could deactivate automatically when they start braking for the next corner, like current DRS.

bucker
bucker

Look for Imola 2005 or Bahrain 2006. Cars had simple front wings (cars were generally more beautiful) and races were wheel to wheel all the time. Tyres were harder, aero was simple, action guaranteed!! :D :D

I don't care if cars are faster and faster and break records every year...i want to see them race hard against each other.

DiogoBrand

bucker wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 14:57
Look for Imola 2005 or Bahrain 2006. Cars had simple front wings (cars were generally more beautiful) and races were wheel to wheel all the time. Tyres were harder, aero was simple, action guaranteed!! :D :D

I don't care if cars are faster and faster and break records every year...i want to see them race hard against each other.
Yees yes... 2005 and 2006 cars were really easy to overtake.

bucker
bucker

It's not everything in overtaking. I prefer long fight between two drivers than someone being fastest and than overtaking with the help of DRS. It's much more thrilling to watch how someone is trying to overtake than somebody that is using his DRS on straight.

zac510
zac510

A few years ago they had the adjustable front wings and the teams just used it for adjusting the downforce balance when tyres/fuel weight changed. edit: this technical solution was supposed to encourage overtaking, but it didn't.

I'll hang out for the long-term solution!
Last edited by zac510 on 09 Apr 2018, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

mrluke
mrluke

Why not just have full active aero and be done with it?

holeindalip
holeindalip

comparing the older cars aero to newer cars aero is apples to oranges. get the weight of the newer cars down to the 05' 06' cars would have a dramatic increase in the amount of overtakes I believe, plus simpler aero would help also

Andres125sx

I posted this same idea some time ago. Aero experts told me it´s not possible as aero is optimized for a specific AoA, so increasing it would only stall the wing

But there´s a easier idea now that active suspensions will return, stablishing a min height wich will be automatically reduced when in dirty air, or even increased in the front car so both cars perfomances are more or less equalized :idea: