2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Holm86

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

jjn9128 wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 16:27
Holm86 wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 12:45
So it's more or less confirmed that there will be no new engine regulations??
Since Azerbaijan last season.
I've never seen it confirmed, only discussions about it - there was also talks about keeping the current engine architecture, but increasing the revs and fuel flow

mzso
mzso

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 17:16
mzso wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 16:24
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 16:08

the headrest does NOT limit peripheral vision, the Hans device and the helmet does.
What do they call the headrest? It's the U shaped foam that Hamilton got called out for when it came loose. Now that and the raised sidewalls because of it completely block the vision to the sides. Drivers should a 240 degress or more field of view.
The headrest was specifically designed not to limit peripheral vision, it does not. The helmet and the Hans device(by necessity) are what limit the drivers vision. Raising the headrest will not decrease viability, as it will only cover more of the back of the driver's head in a side impact. You might want to look at what parts of the helmet are visible when a driver is sat in the car.
This is false you only need to look at it:
The HANS on the other hand is clearly below and behind the driver's eyes, by some margin.
Last edited by mzso on 30 Sep 2019, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

mzso
mzso

jjn9128 wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 16:27
Holm86 wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 12:45
So it's more or less confirmed that there will be no new engine regulations??
Since Azerbaijan last season.
I believe the gearbox tender implied a substantial increase in the MGU-K power.

mzso
mzso

Neno wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 18:28
I still aint getting why with new rules and new aero, cars arent getting lighter. But again for 4x time (regs) in row cars are getting heavier and heavier. First time happened in 2009 with KERS and cars just continued over decade weight more and more.

Which is basically anti safety regulation in first place. I was really suprised when I heard now rumours or 2021 cars getting 20-40 kg heavier than currents are now. I really thought with new rules we would have complete shift in both wheelbase limit, how long cars can be and how heavy should be.

I truly wonder if building smallest and lightest car in 2021 will be biggest advantage of 2021 rules.
More batteries, more MGU power.

Neno wrote:
Which is basically anti safety regulation in first place. I was really suprised when I heard now rumours or 2021 cars getting 20-40 kg heavier than currents are now. I really thought with new rules we would have complete shift in both wheelbase limit, how long cars can be and how heavy should be.
Anti safety? I'm quite sure more robust crash structures and stricter crash tests also added to the weight.
I do agree with the shortening of the cars. Their length makes them slower to react and more accident prone. But I'm not sure if it resulted in weight decrease. It would mean the shorter cars would need to be sturdier to offer the same crash protection.
Neno wrote:

I truly wonder if building smallest and lightest car in 2021 will be biggest advantage of 2021 rules.
I expect everyone will be close to the minimum weight as usual. And the lenght is usually closer to the maximum for aerodynamic reasons. I guess it would be even more the case because of the move to a chiefly "ground effect" based formula.

mzso
mzso

Holm86 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 13:36
I've never seen it confirmed, only discussions about it - there was also talks about keeping the current engine architecture, but increasing the revs and fuel flow
Nothing at all was official yet, including the aero, but thath's what team leaders and I think FIA/F1 representatives say on occasion. With some tweaks like the mentioned rev ad fuel flow limit, and the implied more powerful MGU, with manual deployment.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

mzso wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 18:03

This is false you only need to look at it:
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... enault.jpg
The HANS on the other hand is clearly below and behind the driver's eyes, by some margin.
The HANS limits head and neck movement, both forward and side to side, thus limiting peripheral vision. Your picture proves me correct, thanks.

mzso
mzso

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 18:42
Your picture proves me correct, thanks.
If you think that than your cognitive performance is sorely lacking.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

mzso wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 21:23
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 18:42
Your picture proves me correct, thanks.
If you think that than your cognitive performance is sorely lacking.
The picture you posted, thank you for doing so, shows the entire visor visable ahead of the head rest. Do you see otherwise? Like I said previously, the headrest was specifically designed to not limit their peripheral vision at all, it does not limit their peripheral vision any more than the helmet and Hans device already does, also the seat belts hold them from twisting their torso.

mzso
mzso

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 21:30
The picture you posted, thank you for doing so, shows the entire visor visable ahead of the head rest. Do you see otherwise? Like I said previously, the headrest was specifically designed to not limit their peripheral vision at all, it does not limit their peripheral vision any more than the helmet and Hans device already does, also the seat belts hold them from twisting their torso.
But it does sorely limit it... The eye itself is already restricted. As this picture should make it obvious:

And believe it or not people can move their eyes sideway, and their necks (even if Hans restricts it) as well. And astonishingly people can move both at the same time. That sidewall restricts it 180°, even a little less because the front part that's curving down is hanging into this...

A 270°field of view would be something that's actually good.
Last edited by mzso on 10 Oct 2019, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

mzso wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 21:44
Allowing that much range of vision would require so much head movement that it would render the Hans device useless. Not worth it.

mzso
mzso

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 22:29
mzso wrote:
Allowing that much range of vision would require so much head movement that it would render the Hans device useless. Not worth it.
Perhaps. But removing the sidewalls with whatever movements the HANS allows would still improve the situation dramatically. They would rely more on eye movements.

bosyber
bosyber

mzso wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 22:55
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 22:29
mzso wrote:
Perhaps. But removing the sidewalls with whatever movements the HANS allows would still improve the situation dramatically. They would rely more on eye movements.
But, aren't the side walls doing a similar job as HANS, but for the side movements? While the HALO protects the driver from direct impact to the head, the sidewalls and Helmet protect the head from being damaged by the forces on it after those objects hit the car/HALO.

jjn9128

The lateral visibility from the headrests is actually better than other series. I can't really believe this is a discussion HANS/halo/cockpit headrest padding all do different jobs. You wouldn't advocate getting rid of helmets because they have halo now :lol: Make the cockpit sides shorter/smaller you reduce the lateral impact protection for the driver.

ImageFrom the FIA's medical magazine
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Justthatek
Justthatek

jjn9128 wrote:The lateral visibility from the headrests is actually better than other series.
ImageFrom the FIA's medical magazine
Apart from Perez And Gro whom' never seem to see anyone when they crash.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

trinidefender
trinidefender

Why not the simple solution?

Mandate mirrors that have to provide a certain field of view. This can be achieved by placing them further forward, making them larger and having the outer edge of the mirror curved to allow a view almost next to the car.