CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula 1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Anon123
Anon123

Re: CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula

yuriy wrote:
Anon123 wrote:I managed to get hold of the mp4-29 model from the Mclaren website as an .OBJ if anyone wants to do some CFD work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnsimi7cnnyyy0t/Mclaren.obj
How valid is this data? I took a look on it, and after some smoothing, it looks very good. And the amount of detail is incredible. But I suppose this is not original McLaren data?
The model is from the website, the one that you can take a 360 degree look at.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/car/

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Fairly sure their intent would be that you not be able to just download it, but.. more power to ya!
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

MadMatt
MadMatt

yuriy wrote:
MadMatt wrote:
Anon123 wrote:I managed to get hold of the mp4-29 model from the Mclaren website as an .OBJ if anyone wants to do some CFD work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnsimi7cnnyyy0t/Mclaren.obj
Nice, but unusable in its current format as you cannot select/work with individual parts.
An easy method is to import it in Star CCM+ and split it by curves. Then you can use it.
Yes but talk about some time lost, but yes that's a way to do. #-o
pwlucas wrote:Anybody who uses Star-CCM+, how do you find aero balance and/or loading on the tires?
You need to create a moment coefficient about one axle that you will use knowing your wheelbase to figure out the force at the other end. Do the same with the other axle and you have the force split which will give you the balance.

techF1LES

Some random CFD screen grabs featuring Lotus' CFD visualizations...

Software: Star-CCM+ (CD-adapco)
Model: Renault R28

Pre-processing (mesh generation with hexahedral mesh)

Post-processing (pressure distribution)

+ streamlines around the Renault R30...
Software: FieldView

pwlucas
pwlucas

MadMatt wrote:
pwlucas wrote:Anybody who uses Star-CCM+, how do you find aero balance and/or loading on the tires?
You need to create a moment coefficient about one axle that you will use knowing your wheelbase to figure out the force at the other end. Do the same with the other axle and you have the force split which will give you the balance.
#-o I do not know how I didn't figure that out! Thanks and much appreciated!

shelly
shelly

There are several interesting things to notice in this picture (e.g converging stramlines under the floor, bargeboard vortices etc..) but I want to pinpoint the reference to "common-flow"
twitter: @armchair_aero

F1NAC

If I understood well openFOAM is for Linux operating systems only?

pwlucas
pwlucas

F1NAC wrote:If I understood well openFOAM is for Linux operating systems only?
For the most part yes. You can get it for windows, except it is much slower and buggy. The best one I tried is bluecape.

Install a linux os. Learn how to do the basics in the new os and then learn openfoam. Took me about a year to get fluent in external aero cases in openfoam and learning ubuntu. I already had cfd education using fluent

jasxxx
jasxxx

hi
i am new to CFD but i have downloaded the free single cpu version of blueCAPE openfoam.
have been playing with it on windows 7 and it seems very good.
hav'nt had any problems yet (been trying it for a couple of weeks on some simple tutorials and problems).
they have a more official release for 50euros which i'll probably try soon, it can be run on multi-processors & has some extra software including some pre-processors.
overall been very impressed.

also downloaded Salome for windows openfoam pre-processing, it seems to be quite good.
but does anyone know of any better pre- post- processors for windows 7 to use for openfoam?
thanks
jas

Greenish
Greenish

I think many people here would be interested in this webcast (I have no connection, just found it and passing this on):
https://event.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1030312
In this one-time-only webcast, Infiniti Red Bull Racing’s Nathan Sykes and Al Peasland provide a behind-the-scenes explanation of how the team's Innovation Partnership with ANSYS plays a critical role in enabling high-quality, high-performance simulations in the design stage – and contributes to continued success on track. Infiniti Red Bull Racing is the current Formula One World Champion, winning Driver and Constructor titles in the past four consecutive years. This achievement was possible because of the dedication and commitment of a highly skilled team, which leveraged the latest in engineering technology and systems integration. Join us for this one-hour presentation in which Infiniti Red Bull Racing will discuss the use of ANSYS simulation in their aerodynamics work, the use of HPC, and an overview of their automated work flow. Webcast attendees will be invited to interact with the experts during a question-and-answer segment.

Be sure to attend this live webcast, a one-time-only event that will not be recorded or archived for future viewing.

Greenish
Greenish

Here are some screencaps of slides I thought interesting from the above webcast. (Click on each for full res.)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Greenish
Greenish

Overall I thought it was somewhat interesting but not very informative for someone generally familiar with the field. I was impressed with the speed and scale of their computational capability, though. Turning around hundreds of cases per day is a lot. They have put a lot of work into process design.

A few notes I took from the Q&A:
  • Someone asked if they design wakes to be nasty for following/passing cars. They said we note it but we mostly design for free stream speed down the straight in undisturbed air (he also mentioned yaw cases earlier). leaving a wake is a momentum deficit which is a performance hit
  • They said biggest aero change due to new 2014 regs is the thermal load increase and trying to accomodate it with minimum drag increase
  • Regarding timeframes, for tech insertions, they are working on major changes (i.e. Monza package) around 2 months before event. Others shorter.
  • Are wind tunnels going away? Maybe someday but with current FIA limitations on computing power, it makes sense to balance CFD and tunnel. In another industry might move away from tunnel tests totally.
  • Do other ANSYS customers get benefit of tech developed for Red Bull? RB specific improvements are to core software and do make it to all customers eventually.
  • Do they design for local condition changes at each track or standard temp/pressure? They generally design for standard conditions plus a small number of cases focused on rain effects and tire height changes.
  • How quick is turnaround? if required to fix problem or address rule clarification, can turn around design changes from concept -> track in 3-5 days or less for some components. Higher complexity items like wings could be 2 wks.
  • What is Adrian Newey's CFD opinion? He is big CFD advocate. Was key in pushing it from science project to operational capability. He uses CFD results personally every day.
  • Why ANSYS? They get us and the industry and have best capabilities for our purposes. We work well together. We are not exclusive though and re-evaluate toolset every few years.
  • What makes a robust process? I want someone who has been with us 10 years or 4 weeks to be able to get the same answer and for it to be the right answer every time they use the tools.

Kiril Varbanov

Nicely written article with examples: "Understanding CFD Simulation Process" - http://learncax.com/index.php/en/blog/b ... h-examples

Artur Craft

I know this is a mainly F1 driven forum but have anyone tested the perinn LMP1 files on CFD?

Greenish, thanks very much for that. Great stuff! =D>

Are these numbers fictitious targets for student teams or what?

The cars this year cannot corner with 5.5G(only in 2010 according to Newey) and brake with 6/7Gs. Also, Renault doesn't generate 750HP on combustion engine alone.

And those downforce figures, are those real? what's the context behind that slide, please?

beelsebob
beelsebob

It works on OS X just fine too.