2021 underbody Aero

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2021 underbody Aero

Some drivers use the big sausage kerbs to guide the car on exit by running up to the kerb and using it to kill lateral movement. They won't be doing that so much with the new tyres I reckon.

I also think we'll see an increase in kerb-related suspension damage/failures in the early part of the season. At least they'll get used to the new tyres before the new aero package comes in, although bringing in both at the same time would have separated the men from the boys! 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 17:13
Some drivers use the big sausage kerbs to guide the car on exit by running up to the kerb and using it to kill lateral movement. They won't be doing that so much with the new tyres I reckon.

I also think we'll see an increase in kerb-related suspension damage/failures in the early part of the season. At least they'll get used to the new tyres before the new aero package comes in, although bringing in both at the same time would have separated the men from the boys! 8)
If they can gain a hundredth then they'll do it. And the team will try and build the car to allow it.

Jolle
Jolle

Maplesoup wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 22:19
Just_a_fan wrote:

If they can gain a hundredth then they'll do it. And the team will try and build the car to allow it.
Indeed, especially in qualifying. Good chance that the top three will come with cars that can bounce across higher curbs better then the midfield, so far, chassis development isn't restricted in any way, unlike aero and with more of the movement of the car having to come from the suspension instead of the (same for everyone) tire, expect some differences!

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

Jolle wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 23:06
Maplesoup wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 22:19
Just_a_fan wrote:

Indeed, especially in qualifying. Good chance that the top three will come with cars that can bounce across higher curbs better then the midfield, so far, chassis development isn't restricted in any way, unlike aero and with more of the movement of the car having to come from the suspension instead of the (same for everyone) tire, expect some differences!
I think we'll see teams bring extra floors to the races for sure. They'll save one for qualy and one for the race and will probably build them so that they can quickly be replaced.