2022 Regs

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
henry

Re: 2022 Regs

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 12:02
Teams as ever with their fingers on the button and "hearing" fans... want another weight increase before next year. On top of the 38kg increase already planned. #-o
Was it not the fans that fancied the bigger wheels, with their modern looks, which account for most of the weight gain?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Zynerji

henry wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 15:32
jjn9128 wrote:
Teams as ever with their fingers on the button and "hearing" fans... want another weight increase before next year. On top of the 38kg increase already planned. #-o
Was it not the fans that fancied the bigger wheels, with their modern looks, which account for most of the weight gain?
I thought the 18in tyres was driven by the tyre manufacturers to be more road/other category relevant technology... :?:

Zynerji

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 14:52
Zynerji wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 14:04
Back to 1.6M wide, 500kg minimum weight cars please!
:lol: I kinda agree. Or at least go back to the rulemakers making rules and teams building cars to them, not asking them to be changed coz it's tooooo haaaaaard.
See, this is my real rub with F1. With the prescriptive formula, and thousands of super-brains looking for loopholes and performance gains, allowing those same super-brains to dictate the formula (or even have input) allows for new wrinkles to be included, which leads to later exploitation.

Set the Formula, invite the teams, and stop kissing a$$ when they don't like them. The budget cap is going to remove the teams' largest collective bargaining chip, and that is the cost of a new entry to be competitive. Lots of car manufacturers could redirect 200M$ from their R&D program to support an F1 team now. So, it is time to refocus the Formula around RACING and THE EXPERIENCE. Smaller, lighter, louder. That's what I would do!

SiLo

Zynerji wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 15:41
jjn9128 wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
:lol: I kinda agree. Or at least go back to the rulemakers making rules and teams building cars to them, not asking them to be changed coz it's tooooo haaaaaard.
See, this is my real rub with F1. With the prescriptive formula, and thousands of super-brains looking for loopholes and performance gains, allowing those same super-brains to dictate the formula (or even have input) allows for new wrinkles to be included, which leads to later exploitation.

Set the Formula, invite the teams, and stop kissing a$$ when they don't like them. The budget cap is going to remove the teams' largest collective bargaining chip, and that is the cost of a new entry to be competitive. Lots of car manufacturers could redirect 200M$ from their R&D program to support an F1 team now. So, it is time to refocus the Formula around RACING and THE EXPERIENCE. Smaller, lighter, louder. That's what I would do!
As long as they want to purchase an engine from either Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault.
Felipe Baby!

jjn9128

Zynerji wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 15:35
henry wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
I thought the 18in tyres was driven by the tyre manufacturers to be more road/other category relevant technology... :?:
Yeah I think mostly Pirelli wanted it. Most of the fan reaction I saw was negative.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

Zynerji wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

We need Steven to come into his billion fortune and we can then make our own version of F1 :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

wesley123
wesley123

Zynerji wrote:
I would love that. And plus a lower weight limit would encourage development of materials, which would have some real world use.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

SiLo

wesley123 wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 16:21
Zynerji wrote:
I would love that. And plus a lower weight limit would encourage development of materials, which would have some real world use.
I think 600-650 is more realistic. I like the rule of a minimum driver weight + seat.
Felipe Baby!

Zynerji

SiLo wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 15:59
Zynerji wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:

As long as they want to purchase an engine from either Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault.
They are talking of a "stock" block where you just develop the cylinder heads and ancillaries. After that, a bit of sub-contract work from Mahle and any other speed-shop (like Ilmore or Cosworth) should get you in the ballpark. Especially if they make a standardized Turbo/MGUK/Battery... I'd be more concerned about doing the gearbox, as that seems to be very, very niche to F1 alone.

Zynerji

SiLo wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 16:32
wesley123 wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 16:21
Zynerji wrote:
I think 600-650 is more realistic. I like the rule of a minimum driver weight + seat.
Why cant we have a limit so low that no one can reach it?

henry

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 16:12
Zynerji wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 15:35
henry wrote:

Yeah I think mostly Pirelli wanted it. Most of the fan reaction I saw was negative.
My impression of the discussion on this forum was that most thought they looked right and any technical objections were dismissed. But I did skip a lot of posts looking for technical discussion.

Nonetheless, even if it was all Pirelli that’s not the teams. They didn’t want the weight penalty or the loss of sidewall flex, or years of data and insights down the drain.

But that’s water under the bridge. I’m looking forward to seeing how they cope.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

jjn9128

henry wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 17:15
My impression of the discussion on this forum was that most thought they looked right and any technical objections were dismissed. But I did skip a lot of posts looking for technical discussion.

Nonetheless, even if it was all Pirelli that’s not the teams. They didn’t want the weight penalty or the loss of sidewall flex, or years of data and insights down the drain.

But that’s water under the bridge. I’m looking forward to seeing how they cope.
Maybe after the fact. I wish they were properly low profile (part of the reason is less sidewall deflection is easier to model in CFD/wind tunnel for "poorer" teams) and didn't have the hubcaps :lol: I also resent the weight. A 15 or 16" would have been better IMO.
#aerogandalf

Zynerji

I thought that Michelin was VERY clear when they left F1 and did not even try to tender against Bridgestone that they only had interest at 18inches as that lined up with road cars and LeMans race tyres.

I guess, I just thought that all of the manufacturers thought similarly. I think Pirelli did it just to take the spotlight, but with the tyre controversies since they have been in F1, I doubt that they actually got the positive boost from the transaction.

SiLo

Zynerji wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 16:33
SiLo wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

They are talking of a "stock" block where you just develop the cylinder heads and ancillaries. After that, a bit of sub-contract work from Mahle and any other speed-shop (like Ilmore or Cosworth) should get you in the ballpark. Especially if they make a standardized Turbo/MGUK/Battery... I'd be more concerned about doing the gearbox, as that seems to be very, very niche to F1 alone.
At that point it might as well become a stock racing series.
Felipe Baby!

Zynerji

SiLo wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 17:56
Zynerji wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 16:33
SiLo wrote:

At that point it might as well become a stock racing series.
I'm not the one pushing for it, the teams/FIA are...