Rear wing flex and FIA regulatory test 2021

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: Rear wing flex and FIA regulatory test 2021

peaty wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 21:15
peaty wrote:
Just the wing flexing/rotating won't cut it. There's no breach at all.
Won’t cut it? The upper element is indeed rotating and the assembly therefore reducing the gap to the ground... That’s pretty much the definition of “bridging the gap”.

I find it clear, but clearly you have a different opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the assembly includes the floor? if that is the case, as I said before, I agree with you.
If that is not the case and only the wing is flexing...there's no violation at all
Why? The rule doesn’t apply only to the floor... It applies to the bodywork, wing included... The floor doesn’t need to flex for the wing to infringe the rules

peaty
peaty

dans79 wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 21:09
Thats your opinion!

Imo, it's an issue if the upright structures allow the wing to deflect in a nonlinear fashion. The would mean they intentionally designed the wing to pass the current tests and still gain an aerodynamic advantage. As SmallSoldier showed other members of the paddock see it similarly.

Here we go again...
Yes, the design was intentional
No, the technical regulations don't requiered linearity
No, the spirit of the rules doesn't exist
Yes, F1 follow the letter of the rule

dans79 wrote:
As much as I rag on the FIA, they have some common sense, and know the difference between Incidental and intentional. They know nothing is perfectly rigid, hence why they have tests. They are creating new tests to ensure skirting around the test is more difficult or impossible. Creating new tests implies that they have an issue with someone intentionally working around the current tests.

No one work around the test at all (at least as far as we know). A number of test were given and teams design their cars to meet the test requirements.
Base on your logic every team is in violation of rules like crash test, etc.

dans79 wrote:
Designed intent was the issue in 2014.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/30167902
Red Bull design chief Adrian Newey said the part had been designed to flex but said all teams did the same thing.

He added that in terms of overall aerodynamic effect on the car, Red Bull's wing was less extreme than those on some of their rivals, although he admitted that their wing deflected more than others in the official test.

Newey said that the part in question had been designed with a central piece of metal inside the layers of carbon-fibre that was thinner than usual, with the aim of saving weight.

He admitted that making the part flex downwards was also part of the designed-in characteristics.

What? Design intent the issue? As far as I'm aware they failed the test and that lead to the penalty.
Nothing to do with the design intent.
In other words, they got the penalty because the part flexed more than the limit imposed by the test (again, they failed the test), not because the part was designed to flex.
Last edited by peaty on 04 Jun 2021, 22:05, edited 2 times in total.

peaty
peaty

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 21:46

Why? The rule doesn’t apply only to the floor... It applies to the bodywork, wing included... The floor doesn’t need to flex for the wing to infringe the rules

what's the lowest surface of the car?

article 3.8

"No part having an aerodynamic influence and no part of the bodywork, with the exception of the parts referred to in Articles 3.7.11, 3.7.12 and 3.7.13, may under any circumstances be located below the reference plane."

That reference plane defines "the gap between the sprung part of the car and the ground".

Is the rear wing going below that? No, right?

dans79

peaty wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 21:49
No, the spirit of the rules doesn't exist
I'm going to have to disagree here.

If the concept of "the spirit of the rules" didn't exist then article 3.8 wouldn't be needed, we'd just have article 3.9 and black and white tests. Imo, 3.8 is the spirit of the rules (ideal if you will), and 3.9 it to try and ensure teams adhere to the spirit of the rules within reason.
peaty wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 21:49
What? Design intent the issue? As far as I'm aware they fail the test and that lead to the penalty.
Nothing to do with the design intent.
In other words, they got the penalty because the part flex more than the limit imposed by the test (again, they failed the test), not because the part was designed to flex.
They failed a test that wasn't in the "rules" then and isn't in them now. Not to mention they were penalized because it was deemed they designed (it's in the technical delegates report) something to work in a way the technical delegate didn't approve of. Newey even said they designed it to flex!

That sure sounds like the FIA technical delegate, and the stewards acted on what they considered the spirit of the rules. Hence why i'm of the strong believe that passing the tests listed in article 3.9 doesn't guarantee you are legal/safe.
Last edited by dans79 on 04 Jun 2021, 23:05, edited 4 times in total.
197 104 103 7

RZS10

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 18:20
The checkered stickers were added by Red Bull to correlate with their information whatever the FIA findings are :)
Surprised that no one else did that, at the same time i wonder what good it would do - would they just say "our measurement says it's less than you [the FIA] claim" ?
Last edited by RZS10 on 05 Jun 2021, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

peaty wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 21:46

what's the lowest surface of the car?

article 3.8

"No part having an aerodynamic influence and no part of the bodywork, with the exception of the parts referred to in Articles 3.7.11, 3.7.12 and 3.7.13, may under any circumstances be located below the reference plane."

That reference plane defines "the gap between the sprung part of the car and the ground".

Is the rear wing going below that? No, right?
Two different and unrelated targets of the regulation, one states that you can’t place aerodynamic devices below the reference plane... The other talks about what is permissible in terms of design and construction of aerodynamic parts.

You can’t design an aero device that bridges the gap to the ground

peaty
peaty

Alright, I thought you guys understood what I meant to say.
Let's break it down to the very basics...
It's clear that reading doesn't lead to understanding...
dans79 wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 22:16
I'm going to have to disagree here.

If the concept of "the spirit of the rules" didn't exist then article 3.8 wouldn't be needed, we'd just have article 3.9 and black and white tests. Imo, 3.8 is the spirit of the rules (ideal if you will), and 3.9 it to try ensure teams adhere to the spirit of the rules within reason.
Let's try to forget about the wording and all the technicalities and go back to the very basics...
Article 3.8 prevent F1 teams from 2 things:
-Active aero
-Gound effect

I think that, by now, it's clear (at least to a reasonable degree) that we are not in any of those scenarios, right?
We have a system flexing. As far as we know there are not actuators, hinges, etc. All we see (in theory) is deformation under aerodynamic load, right?

That's what article 3.9 is for (3.9 Bodywork flexibility).

So that's why you need article 3.8 for one thing and 3.9 for another thing.
Again, the spirit of the rule does not exist in F1 at the moment.
As you said, that's why you have black and white test under article 3.9 (x load y deformation), why they changed the test, etc.

dans79 wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 22:16
They failed a test that wasn't in the "rules" then and isn't in them now. No to mention they were penalized because it was deemed they designed (it's in the technical delegates report) something to work in a way the technical delegate didn't approve of. Newey even said they designed it to flex!

That sure sounds like the FIA technical delegate, and the stewards acted on what they considered the spirit of the rules. Hence why i'm of the strong believe that passing the tests listed in article 3.9 doesn't guarantee you are legal/safe.
Again, reading doesn't mean understanding...
RBR failed the test. The front wing flap deformation lead to the front wing "to bridge the gap between the sprung part of the car and the ground".
Remember "No part having an aerodynamic influence and no part of the bodywork, with the exception of the parts referred to in Articles 3.7.11, 3.7.12 and 3.7.13, may under any circumstances be located below the reference plane" (article 3.8 ).
That's why they got a penalty:
"Any device or construction that is designed to bridge the gap between the sprung part of the car and the ground is prohibited under all circumstances." (article 3.8 )

Every single surface in a formula 1 car flex under load and is design to flex to a certain degree. If it flex less that required you get away with, if it does not you get a penalty.

The question here is understaing what you read (and I don't mean literally):
"it was found that the front wing flaps were designed to flex under aerodynamic load"

I hope now it's clear
Last edited by peaty on 05 Jun 2021, 00:28, edited 3 times in total.

ispano6

dans79 wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 21:10
ispano6 wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 21:00
The behavior of the Merc's wing is identical to the RedBull's in that video.
Let's see if Merc actually use it in qualifying and the race. Maybe it's a ploy to make others think it's OK to use it, or Mclaren will be lodging a protest to the hand that feeds them.
Those wings are not even close to having the same amounts of downforce and drag.
Clearly I'm referring to the amount the wing dips from the yellow line... #-o

dans79

peaty wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 23:25

I'm sorry, but that is not what the rules state, the rules state 3.9 is to ensure 3.8 is respected.

In order to ensure that the requirements of Article 3.8 are respected, the FIA reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of), moving whilst the car is in motion.
197 104 103 7

dans79

ispano6 wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 23:37
dans79 wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
Let's see if Merc actually use it in qualifying and the race. Maybe it's a ploy to make others think it's OK to use it, or Mclaren will be lodging a protest to the hand that feeds them.
Those wings are not even close to having the same amounts of downforce and drag.
How much a wing dips/deflects/rotates is based on the force applied to it. Thus a lower downforce/drag wing, should dip/deflect less at the same speed.
197 104 103 7

peaty
peaty

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 22:34
Two different and unrelated targets of the regulation, one states that you can’t place aerodynamic devices below the reference plane... The other talks about what is permissible in terms of design and construction of aerodynamic parts.

You can’t design an aero device that bridges the gap to the ground

Look, they are related because the reference plane dictates the gap between the sprung part of the car and the ground.
Last edited by peaty on 05 Jun 2021, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

peaty
peaty

dans79 wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 23:40
peaty wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 23:25

I'm sorry, but that is not what the rules state, the rules state 3.9 is to ensure 3.8 is respected.

In order to ensure that the requirements of Article 3.8 are respected, the FIA reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of), moving whilst the car is in motion.

I don't want to make another circle...and you keep going in circles...
You need to test, somehow, that flexing doesn't lead to bridging the gap between the sprung part of the car and the ground/having a part that have aerodynamic influence under any circumstances located below the reference plane.
The only thing we can argue about is when flexing turns into moving. Other than that...
But you can keep going around as much as you want.

zibby43
zibby43

ispano6 wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 23:37
dans79 wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
But you have to also take into account the type of wing being used when observing that effect, as the type/shape of wing being employed dramatic impact on the forces that the wing (which is attached to the end plates) will encounter.

dans79

peaty wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 00:15
I don't want to make another circle...and you keep going in circles...
You need to test, somehow, that flexing doesn't lead to bridging the gap between the sprung part of the car and the ground/having a part that have aerodynamic influence under any circumstances located below the reference plane.
The only thing we can argue about is when flexing turns into moving. Other than that...
But you can keep going around as much as you want.
I think you are missing the scope/context of article 3.8 and what the FIA considers Aerodynamic Influence. It isn't just about flexing wings, floors, and body work. It shouldn't need to be said, but the FIA only cares about Positive aerodynamic influence. The teams also refer to article 3.8 when they protest another team.

The mass damper was banned because it was considered to have a positive aerodynamic influence. Article 3.8 now prevents mass dampers from being used.

f-duct like devise's are banned under article 3.8.

FRIC was banned, because it was considered to have reached a point where it was violating article 3.8!

Lotus pointed to article 3.8 when it protested DDRS, even though it had no moving parts. (Lotus lost)

Last year Redbull themselves pointed to 3.8 when they protested DAS.

and of course 3.8 is designed to prevent flexing wings and floors, and skirt like devices.

I'm sure other users can point to even more things banned or exclude under article 3.8 that i can't think of off the top of my head. For example, I think the trick lotus front brakes setup that lowered the front ride height was deamed illegal under 3.8

Imo (and a lot of others, including the teams) Article 3.8 is the catch all "spirit or the rules" rule that the FIA and the teams themselves use to keep everyone inline when it come to aerodynamic developments.

article 3.9 is just a set of rules thats are used to monitor compliance with article 3.8. As 3.9.9 and history has shown the FIA can invalidate just about anything even remotely aerodynamic using article 3.8. they don't even need to refer to tests. A FIA representative can make a judgment call and hose 1 or more teams with little or no warning.
197 104 103 7

peaty
peaty

dans79 wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 01:43

I think you are missing the scope/context of article 3.8 and what the FIA considers Aerodynamic Influence. It isn't just about flexing wings, floors, and body work. It shouldn't need to be said, but the FIA only cares about Positive aerodynamic influence. The teams also refer to article 3.8 when they protest another team.

The mass damper was banned because it was considered to have a positive aerodynamic influence. Article 3.8 now prevents mass dampers from being used.

f-duct like devise's are banned under article 3.8.

FRIC was banned, because it was considered to have reached a point where it was violating article 3.8!

Lotus pointed to article 3.8 when it protested DDRS, even though it had no moving parts. (Lotus lost)

Last year Redbull themselves pointed to 3.8 when they protested DAS.

and of course 3.8 is designed to prevent flexing wings and floors, and skirt like devices.

I'm sure other users can point to even more things banned or exclude under article 3.8 that i can't think of off the top of my head. For example, I think the trick lotus front brakes setup that lowered the front ride height was deamed illegal under 3.8

Imo (and a lot of others, including the teams) Article 3.8 is the catch all "spirit or the rules" rule that the FIA and the teams themselves use to keep everyone inline when it come to aerodynamic developments.

article 3.9 is just a set of rules thats are used to monitor compliance with article 3.8. As 3.9.9 and history has shown the FIA can invalidate just about anything even remotely aerodynamic using article 3.8. they don't even need to refer to tests. A FIA representative can make a judgment call and hose 1 or more teams with little or no warning.

You clearly still don't understand me. I mean...english is not my first language and that might be part of it, but let me try again...
I'm fully aware of the scope of article 3.8 but our interpretation of the rules is different though...

If you think about it, all the cases you have cited fall under any of those scenarios I mentioned before (only one of the two actually).

-mass damper= no part influencing the cars aerodynamic performance may be mobile -> active (movable if you prefrere that word) aerodynamics.
-f-duct= "With the exception of the parts necessary for the adjustment described in Article 3.6.8, any car system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited." -> moveable aerodynamics
-FRIC= similar to mass damper -> moveable aerodynamic
-DDRS= Lotus based their protest on "With the exception of the parts necessary for the adjustment described in Article 3.6.8, any car system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited." In reality it wass a consequence of a change of position of the driver adjustable bodywork (which was allow on the rules) and that's why they lost. DDRS did not breach any rule at all. I wouldn't include this one here.
-DAS= movable aerodynamics ->The argument was that from toe out to toe 0 (or whatever it was) there was a change on the car' aerodynamics. We all know that it was declared legal. I wouldn't include this one here either. In any case, the argument is similar to DDRS (a consequences of something allow in the rules).

If the FIA don't refer to the test when using article 3.8 in the cases you cited above it's because all those cases (mass damper, f-duct, fric, etc) are considered movable aerodynamics. They don't need a flexibility test to prove those (mass damper: the mass reducing vibration of the aerodynamic elements, etc. f-duct: a driver movement to cover a hole, etc). So, it's not invalidating just about anything even remotely aerodynamic using article 3.8 as you said. There's a reason to use that article, even if it's not very clear at first glance.

I'll try again going to the very basics...
3.8 and 3.9 are two things completely different.
Article 3.8 basically prevent F1 teams from movable aerodynamics and ground effect
Article 3.9 regulate bodywork flexibility.
Bodywork flexibility can lead to breaching the rules regarding ground effect in article 3.8 (as we have discuss before i.e front wing flexing, floor flexing, etc). That's why the tests on article 3.9 are required to enforce the bit about ground effect in 3.8.
Also, you can pass the tests on article 3.9 but still violate article 3.8. That's one of the reasons for having the article 3.9.9.
The only thing we can argue about is when flexing turns into moving.

On the other hand, I have to agree with you. At any point, the technical delegate can make the call and refer the matter to the stewards. This time around though...they'll need more than they currently have to make such a call.

I can understand that there are teams and fans that think in a different way. That doesn't mean that they are right though. Mercedes was the only team that thought about DAS (at least to that extent). Pretty much every other team thought it was illegal and they were wrong.
It's not a suprised that all Mercedes powered cars (mainly Mercedes and McLaren but I would include Aston Martin and Williams) think the same way (the same with regards to th other teams). I've said many times that this has a lot more to with politics than with the technical rules themselfs.