2026 active aero discussions

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
BassVirolla

2026 active aero discussions

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ssion=true

What do you think about it?

Reverse DRS? Movable gurney flap in diffusser? Retractable beam wing?

Wich solution to increase rear downforce suddenly while braking will be more feasible and / or effective?

I don't like it, but I think it makes for an interesting thread of discussion...

jjn9128

Re: 2026 active aero discussions

I imagine however it's implemented it will be regulated to the point it's virtually pointless.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Stu

jjn9128 wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 16:34
I imagine however it's implemented it will be regulated to the point it's virtually pointless.
Tend to agree with that sentiment, any really interesting active aero should be centred on reducing the aero effect of the wheels/tyres.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

JordanMugen

BassVirolla wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 16:31
I hope they don't bring active suspension which Horner also mentioned. I don't like the way active suspension cars don't roll, pitch or dive, it looks very strange.

Zynerji

I've gone back and forth on active aero.

I like it if the driver makes real-time changes to increase performance. I dislike it if it's computer controlled.

That's it.

BassVirolla

JordanMugen wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 15:20
BassVirolla wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 16:31
I hope they don't bring active suspension which Horner also mentioned. I don't like the way active suspension cars don't roll, pitch or dive, it looks very strange.
I was more in the line of thinking about active aero. :lol: I've asked because of the new engine regs for 2026, in which they have to assure sufficient grip under braking for recovering 350kW only by means of the rear axle... Using active aero.

I also don't like active suspensions....

ESPImperium

Im for it, in a limited form, give the control of the front wing back to the driver, allow one change per lap by half a degree at a time. The Rear DRS id keep, however id limit its use as I've said before, give the drivers 300 seconds every session, however the drivers have to use it more tactically.

If Active Aero is coming, is it possible that Active Suspension is coming to allow the drivers to tune the underfloor every race? Id say there's a possibility, id also say it would allow standardisation of suspension inboards, also allow the FIA to better police it with a new SECU.

I also listened to The Race podcast yesterday, when talking about the new engine rules, they also suggested putting a MGU on the front axle for the possible beefed up power regulations, and the would mean a Active Stability management could also come into F1. Im not for that, I just want all the power to go to the rear wheels, no ASM.

mzso

Stu wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 19:18
jjn9128 wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 16:34
Tend to agree with that sentiment, any really interesting active aero should be centred on reducing the aero effect of the wheels/tyres.

Or just a passive cover without morbid cost...
JordanMugen wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 15:20

Why? F1 is supposed to be some tech pinnacle...

JordanMugen

mzso wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 08:41
But you can't get a sense of the vehicle dynamics. :|

The way the Williams FW14B & FW15C stayed perfectly flat all the time, just looks very, very odd. It's very undramatic to watch.

We like to see the cars being hustled, and rolling, pitching, diving and squatting don't we? It adds to the theatre of a racecar on the limit. :wink:

mzso

JordanMugen wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 05:00
We like to see the cars being hustled, and rolling, pitching, diving and squatting don't we? It adds to the theatre of a racecar on the limit. :wink:
It's another argument without substance, the way I see it.

Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 05:00
mzso wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 08:41
But you can't get a sense of the vehicle dynamics. :|

The way the Williams FW14B & FW15C stayed perfectly flat all the time, just looks very, very odd. It's very undramatic to watch.

It's your preference. Funnily enough, a previous generation of fan would have said "we want to see the cars sliding through the corners with opposite lock as it shows a car on the limit being balanced on the throttle."

My own preference is to see the high rate of direction change because that shows how insane these cars are - something that the camera angles often miss. We don't usually see much rolling and pitching in F1 anyway because the suspension is designed to limit it where necessary.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

JordanMugen

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 11:48
It's your preference. Funnily enough, a previous generation of fan would have said "we want to see the cars sliding through the corners with opposite lock as it shows a car on the limit being balanced on the throttle."
We still see that. It's just less than the 1970's because now they have radial tyres instead of the crossply tyres of the 1970's. The 70's cars did four wheel drifts, because that is the optimal slip angle range of a crossply tyre compared to the smaller optimal slip angle of a radial. :)

Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 22:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
We still see that. It's just less than the 1970's because now they have radial tyres instead of the crossply tyres of the 1970's. The 70's cars did four wheel drifts, because that is the optimal slip angle range of a crossply tyre compared to the smaller optimal slip angle of a radial. :)
You'll only see oppo if it's gone wrong. Sliding ( in the old sense) is slow.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Tommy Cookers

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 00:11
Just_a_fan wrote:
... "we want to see the cars sliding through the corners with opposite lock as it shows a car on the limit being balanced on the throttle."
.... You'll only see oppo if it's gone wrong. Sliding ( in the old sense) is slow.
aren't these 2 points rather contradictory ?

and ....
the first doesn't correctly describe (4-wheel) drifting
sliding died out when faulty design (inherent oversteer) was eliminated post-Olley starting in the late 1930s
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 14 Oct 2021, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

theVortexCreatorY250

I heard through an F1 engineer who was at Merc that they were working on a proposal to use fans (active) for cars following to have a 'fan boost' increasing downforce... more importantly trying to get 'side by side' racing, not just DRS passes
I create vortices