twin keel front ends

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
-shr3d-
-shr3d-

twin keel front ends

Interesting to note that Patrick Head said that the last Williams designed by Willis didnt feature a twin keel which he thought may have been overlooked and now the have possibly the most dramatic version of it whilst Newey continues to advance his designs....
Now Sauber who started the trend have gone back to a single keel, which as stated elsewhere is prob based on their extensive use of the F2003-GA as a basis of their design...
how many designs are using it now?? Mclaren, Williams are but not sure bout the lower teams...

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

I can confirm curruntly that McLaren and Williams are using twin keel for 2004, but i'm sure more team will follow the design.

scarbs
scarbs

MAc and willaims are both twinkeel, Jordan another team I definitely know of. Minardi are reworking the twin Keel Arrows A23 so they probably go twin keel.
Renault, Toyo, Jag and Sauber are not, While Ferrari and BAR are not expected to go that way.

Aradea
Aradea

Hi Guys.. I'm kinda new to this tech thingy. So, What is a Single keel and a twin keel ?? Where does it go in a F1 Car ?? Can U give me a picture so I can Understand it better ? Thanks. And I would really appreciate it if U Guys give me a picture... :D

scarbs
scarbs

Here's two clear examples look at the bottom of the chassis, the lower suspension arms mount together on the ferraro on a "Single Keel" while the Saubers are seperated by being mounts on "twin keels"

Aradea
Aradea

Thanx

Thanks A Lot Scarbs ! Now I understand. But I Still dont know what does it do and the advantages by using single or twin keels ?.
Anyway thanks for the pics.. btw, I've noticed you didn't have the review of the Sauber C23 & Jag R5 on your website, been busy ??

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

hey aradea,

i will give you a brief description but hopefully one of the boys will provide more (and better) information.
The main advantage of the winged keel is that it improves airflow across the main plane of the front wing as there is no longer the suspension mounts behind the centre of the wing to disrupt that airflow. This should in theory allow more downforce to be generated by the front wing.
Disadvantages are that it is more difficult to make the twin keel chassis as stiff with regard to suspension mounting points as the single keel and can have a weight penalty involved...
see scarbsF1 page for an interesting article on the W shaped front wing used by Mclaren to maximise the advantages of the winged keel.... :lol:

Steven
Owner

There's also a small explanation of twin keels in the glossary:
http://www.f1technical.net/glossary/t