Is Williams trying sometihing new?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
rumpelstulskin
rumpelstulskin

Is Williams trying sometihing new?

Monday at silverstone:

thursday at valencia:

Isn't there a new nose at silverstone?

Wait for pics from Imola tomorrow!

rumpelstulskin
rumpelstulskin

Looks remarkably similar to Mclaren i would say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

warmandog

is william trying sometihing new

ummmmm i wonder how long theyre will using that ugly nose..
and i wonder how fast will be that at race weekend
lets wait and see
Regards
Alex C
Dominican Republic

scarbs
scarbs

Panic over....
It was last years car, what appears to be twin keels is in fact the old barge board mounts. Shows how similar the rest of the car is though (and not at all like a McLaren...!)

what's your point, rumpl? Don't u know that teams can test components in the previous year's chassis? And yep, the new williams has a new nose and front suspension design - just 'ave a look thru the launch pics. Welcome to F1.

Red27
Red27

Well, over at Imola:

Is the twin keel giving trouble? It looks to me like Williams is trying a mono keel system here...

tonged
tonged

That looks to me like it's still a twin keel car. The white vertical under the nose is just the front edge of the tub.

If you look to the left of the left tusk (as we look at it) then you can see a fat dark blue strut running down and away from the nose. That'll be one of the suspension mounts (aka 'keels').

tonged
tonged

Actually, maybe it's not the front of the tub. From the side-shot it's clear that it's way too far forwards.

Maybe it's a mount for a ride-height sensor - in the side shot you can see an illuminated spot on the ground underneath the car.

Red27
Red27

I was aware of the fact that the twin keel pick up points were still there. But as you concluded yourself, the white fin is not the splitter. I missed the illuminated spot on the ground though. Seems like a good explanation.

look in between the wheel and the front wing on the last picture posted above, what it that reddish line?

seymour
seymour

Sensor

This has been covered here

It can measure ride height, vehicle speed and heading very accurately. Apparently it works like a giant optical mouse.

I've been wanting one ever since I read about it.