Bargeboards

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
andre
andre

Bargeboards

Hi people!
I've got a doubt: aren't bargeboards an important part on a f1 aerodynamics?
So, why Toyota doesn't have them and BAR only have smal bargeboars near to the front suspension :?:
Last edited by andre on 17 Mar 2004, 20:15, edited 3 times in total.

Rogue230
Rogue230

Bear with me...

you are a little confused.

The diffuser is located at the rear of the car, primarily underneath.

It controls the airflow coming from the underside of the car creating downforce at the rear with little drag.

I don't think you'll find an F1 car without a diffuser.

Can you post an image of the item in question?

andre
andre

Sorry... My english sucks... I didn' t mean difuser, but bargeboards.

yeah, I noticed that too. Williams also doesn't have bargeboards near the cooling duct. Just don't know why :?:

Rogue230
Rogue230

That's better!

Barge boards will vary in size from track to track, even on the same car.

At least in part they are used to control how much air gets into the radiators located in the side-pods.

Too much air and you have excessive drag costing you speed, too little air and you fry!

A 'one size fits all' approach to radiator openings wouldn't work well and barge boards give an effective way of controlling this.

There may be other function to them and thus other explainations but that's one I know of.

Hope it's of some help.

Best regards, Rogue.

andre
andre

Thanks Rogue. I aboarded bargeboards 'cause of the variation in their design and number; for example, Ferrari uses 2 and Toyota 0. Probably Toyota has more difficulty in keeping their engine cool.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Oi andre tudo bem? Diverte-te aqui no forum.

Well now in english in fact the bargeboards are used to direct the airflow from behind the wing into the radiator...there is a website that has an article about this....if I'm not mistaken it's Scarbs website.....but don't know the link....could someone post it?

andre
andre

Ta tudo bem, obrigado. The link is http://www.scarbsf1.com (cool site). Bargeboards aloud more air into the radiators and less drag, so I don't understand why some teams don't use them... Any opinions?!

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

well it all depends on how the under part of the front of the monocoque, front part of the undertray, front wing and nose cone is designed....it can be designed in a way that the air is already redirected into the radiator.

marcush.
marcush.

stick your hand in the wind ,and you know :anything licked by the air will create some drag on the car.
It is a classic tradeoff :The bardgeboards help the floor creating downforce at the cost of increasing the area licked by the air (actually the bardgeboards do not add much if any to the frontal area).
If you are able to create the functions of the bardgeboards without increasing the surface area you will actually make the car more efficient.

Why Toyota ,with their powerful engine and lack of grip don´t use them is their secret.

West
West

I heard the "axes" on the Toyota and the FW25 (I dunno if it's on the 26) are used like a splitter: to prevent too much air from going underneath the car and into the radiators.
Last edited by West on 19 Mar 2004, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

The fw26 also uses that "axes," combined with these bargeboards fitted in the suspension.
EDIT by Tomba: now it loads ;)

Thanks Tomba :D