Renault testing new front wing at Silverstone

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Timstr
Timstr

Renault testing new front wing at Silverstone

http://www.f1total.com/bilder/2004/tests/sil02/z025.jpg

This reminds me of the early 90's Tyrrel front wings. Don't remeber if this type was used afterwards as well.

Enzo
Enzo

I had written an article in thescuderia.net about stating that Ferrari was testing at some time a similar type of wing. It seems that the two teams have found some benefits of that arrangement:

http://www.thescuderia.net/Technical/Ba ... date.shtml

scarbs
scarbs

It was a matter of time before soemone went this direction, with more efficient front profiles and less need to balance the lower rear downforce, the centre of the wing is better off being lifted\removed to free up flow to under the floor.
McLaren started down this road with the MP4-18 & 19, I confidently predicted that the F2004 had this set up when trying to guess the nose shape under the covers at the launch (to much embarassment when it didnt appear). But most of all Williams have basis for this set up as the tusks could possibly support two seperate outer wings

dumrick
dumrick

This kind of layout disappeared when FIA regs raised the outer section of the wings away from the ground. Facing lost of downforce in that section, teams tried to get it back compensating in the centre of the wing, lowering it and inceasing the chord of the flaps in that area (most teams, when were using raised centre wings, didn't even had flaps, in order to avoid disturbing the airflow going to the diffuser).
The Williams tusks are well too far apart to support separate outer wings, they would have to be quite small.

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

Looks like a W-shaped wing. Except the distance between the two lower points are closer. How does it works?

anonymous00
anonymous00

It seems to be a photoshoped image. Really poor...

This time only williams is keeping his W-wing concept.

dumrick
dumrick

Photoshoped???? What makes you say that? It seems to be from the 1st day of Silverstone tests and the shape and incidence of the front wing flaps (outer section) don't seem those of the convencional wing, also...

Although my German is poor (nonexistant), I browsed through F1 Total and found the picture. I think it's quite real, now if they will actually adopt it...?

BTW any links to BAR's new front wing they are testing in Mugello?
-Paul C
(Damn autologin feature :) I forgot my password when I switched PCs ... new one should be in the email inbox soon...)

West
West

The Renault is getting uglier I see. I wish the engine improvements were just as substantial to talk about as the aerodynamic changes.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

anonymous00
anonymous00

I see the complete gallery from that day and I think this wing is not a real, we will see... it's de only image with this front wing, and the central section seems to be poor photoshoped.

It's strange from PlanetF1 but this is what i think! we will see.

Steven
Owner

Anonymous aka SKRAT wrote:(Damn autologin feature :) I forgot my password when I switched PCs ... new one should be in the email inbox soon...)
hehe! :lol:

Anyway... I must disagree with you on this scarbs. I think the main idea of Williams' high nose, and all the other teams' too, is to make use of downforce from the center part of the front wing, combined with an airflow under the car of course.
I think the first is much more important, and as I had already said in the MP4/19 topic, the reason for McLaren's front wing is in my point of view (partly) a solution to the low nose, that was very very close to the wing. I think that hinders downforce in the centre. This is why I don't see a point in Renault doing this. A slight W-shape could be possible but I don't think it's very beneficial in Renault's case because of their nose's shape

That is defenitly not a photoshoped image for sure. How anyone can believe that :o :shock:
Interesting to see how they used three different frontvings at that test. Here is the third one. A bit like their old one from last year
http://www.f1total.com/bilder/2004/tests/sil02/z019.jpg

Steven
Owner

Well they are going to need it if they want to win a race this season ;)

marcush.
marcush.

hm....
and always the desin guus state you couldn´t hang a competitors wing on your ca and hope for improvements....
How on earth can those radically different front wing profiles not disturb the rest of the cars aero concept ,because thjey are painted blue ,perhaps...or silver grey in the cas of another team...if one looks at the cfd graphs ,one must say the teams let it all look very scientific but if they stick on the car very different concepts,one has to assume it is mainly trial and error that makes the car faster.(that´s exaggerated ,I know ,but I wanted to tease the technocrats a little bit)

Plato
Plato

They probably need to raise their nose in case they switch to such a front wing. It seems really strange since the wing and the nose cone or so close there... The air will probably go faster since it needs to go thruw such a narrow area wich is rediculous at the top of a front wing since that will create lift instead of downforce.

That's why the Ferrari nose is so high (and last year slightly bent) To make space for that W wing. So either that picture is photoshopped or these renault guys see something I can't understand.. :oops: