Ferrari F2004 pics

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

If you remove the nose cone from some cars you see at the front part of the torsion bars...I'm not sure you can steup the torsion bar in anyway....but I thought they were something to do with the setup or changing of torsion bar. (this pertuberance is taken from the car when it goes on track....it's some kind of "lock" or tool that is used to changed/remove the torsion bar)

Another thing is I saw a pic of Ferraris rear suspension...and if you pay attention to this part...if you draw a lign that continues you will see that the pertuberation ends near the rocker. And in the pic I saw of Ferraris rear suspension the torsion bar had the same inclination as this "part" we see in the pic.

Reca
Reca

bernief2003 wrote: I'm not agree... I think that it is a part of acumulators. Do you really think that the ferrari designers would put this anti-aerodynamic bar out of the body?
I was cheking out it in some pictures of the car racing, and I didn't saw it.
RB Friday :
http://www.f1total.com/bilder/show.php? ... &d=2&b=078

MS Saturday (I believe in the morning), you have to brighten the pic to see them clearly :
http://www.f1total.com/bilder/show.php? ... &d=3&b=024

MS Sunday (the left one is clearly visible, the right is apparently missing, there’s a small possibility it’s because of the angle of the pic/low resolution, but it wouldn’t be the first time they adopt an asymmetrical setup):
http://www.f1racing.net/en/photolarge.p ... ID=92-1105

bernif2003
bernif2003

Oh thanks you very much! :D I didnt saw it before, so i thought it was the acumulators system. But it is really strange, the fact they use this configuration for the torsion bars no?

Reca
Reca

You are welcome bernif2003.
About the opinion that it’s strange... well it is indeed strange to have the bars out of the bodywork but they are forced to. The external bar isn’t actually a prolongation of the normal torsion bar, it’s an additional bar working only in compression and only above a certain rotation of the rocker. Since the normal torsion bar is still in place and the additional one must be coaxial with it, the only possibility is to have the new one protruding out of the bodywork. Anyway it’s inclined and the diameter of the outer cylinder (the actual bar is inside the cylinder) is small so it shouldn’t make big disturbance to the airflow and the aerodynamic “problem” (if any) is well worth the gain in the mechanical setup, especially considering that the additional bar is used only on a few tracks.

red300zx99
red300zx99

How do you get a torsion bar to only work in compression?

Reca
Reca

Blocking the rotation of the torsion bar in one direction only while allowing it to freely rotate (unloaded) in the other direction...

Or a one way bearing, although slightly different results