Forum posts voting system

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Forum posts voting system

How about an agree or disagree function whereby the top 2 or 3 remarks can be viewed by everyone looking at the thread?
More could have been done.
David Purley

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: What would you add to F1technical?

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:How about an agree or disagree function whereby the top 2 or 3 remarks can be viewed by everyone looking at the thread?
I don't think that is such a good idea. This is used on another site and the "disagree" function is used as a tool to annoy other users rather than encourage disscusion. You can write a stone cold fact and still get a disagrees. It would just devalue the threads and it'll just attract trolls like on this other site. I won't mention names as I don't want to advertise this site.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

andrew wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:How about an agree or disagree function whereby the top 2 or 3 remarks can be viewed by everyone looking at the thread?
I don't think that is such a good idea. This is used on another site and the "disagree" function is used as a tool to annoy other users rather than encourage disscusion. You can write a stone cold fact and still get a disagrees. It would just devalue the threads and it'll just attract trolls like on this other site. I won't mention names as I don't want to advertise this site.
Oh yea fair point, although I would say F1technical commands a more informed poster.
How is my greatest fan these days? :lol:
David Purley

jgh
jgh

I would like to see a more effective method of recording agreement and disagreement, with a well made argument.

I unfortunately only get to catch up with F1 technical infrequently, and assume this is not uncommon. When working through a large number of pages for a particular subject, I notice a significant number of posts that are simply short text agreement or disagreement. This just lengthens the thread without adding to the substance of the discussion.

If there was something to show Like or Dislike (without counter argument) of post, the thread would be more condensed. This may also help reduce the occasions where people raising similar points to an earlier part of the thread.

However we also do not wish to become too stuffy and must continue to allow the good natured banter and jibes.

Richard

jgh wrote:I would like to see a more effective method of recording agreement and disagreement, with a well made argument.

If there was something to show Like or Dislike (without counter argument) of post, the thread would be more condensed. This may also help reduce the occasions where people raising similar points to an earlier part of the thread.
Yes that would be good.

Giblet

I like the idea of implementing a digg/reddit style upvote/downvote ability on each post in a thread.

The threads should still be in chronological order first, but it would be nice if we could also sort them by number of upvotes.

This way, the community that is here (and growing all the time) could filter by popularity if desired. More often then not, the responses with the most upvotes are usually the most intelligent or correct.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Ciro Pabón

Yes, sir! I vote for that.
Ciro

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I second Ciro, Giblets idea is a good 'un.
David Purley

gibells

I think I get what is being said but I'll put it into my own words for clarity. If there is a rabbit trail which has been formed by, e.g. car colours, are you saying you'd be able to press the plus to expand to the full discussion trail, or 'minus' it out to hide, like you can on a file path of Windows Explorer. That way all content would still be there but you would have to read through dross over whether Lotus Renault is better than Lotus Renault.

The other thing I feel is that in my time here I sometimes get the feeling that some posters just post for the sake of racking up their post count rather than properly contributing or querying the debate. If anyone by chance has said anything worthwhile, maybe it would be deserving of a star (could be a Michelin Star, Could be a Pirelli star, could be a Bridgestone Star) :) That way you'd be recognised by the value of contributions rather than the number of them.

Regards,
Paul

tok-tokkie

With the growth of membership of this site there are now a lot of regular posters who post opinion (& received opinion = even worse) as technical fact. The worst of them also posts terribly long posts. These posts have seriously degraded this site. They may not be trolls but their input is very similar.

I would like an ignore button so their posts would be suppressed - we would just see a blank entry. (There is one person whose entries I have not read in over a year because he posts such uninformed drivel & he does it at length all over the place.)

Otherwise a user rating system so that unpopular posters get voted downscale & we can set a filter so we don't even see them at all. I have never been to a site with such a system but I am told it works quite well on sites plagued by trolling type fools.

BreezyRacer

I would like the ability to vote on posts. I think it create more participation and negate all those "+1" posts that people use now ..

forty-two

BreezyRacer wrote:I would like the ability to vote on posts. I think it create more participation and negate all those "+1" posts that people use now ..
How about a facebook "like" button?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

BreezyRacer wrote:I would like the ability to vote on posts. I think it create more participation and negate all those "+1" posts that people use now ..
I have seen this used on another site. The "agree/disagree" function appears to be used as a tool to try and annoy other posters and nothing more, with stone cold facts gathering "disagrees" from what must surely be trolls.

It also reduces the amount of discussion as someone does not have to justify their opinion and can anonymously "vote". A very bad idea indeed based on what I have seen on this other site.

netoperek

IMO very good idea.
1st Voting can be restricted to logged users only. That would mean only one vote per user per post.
2nd This is F1 Technical... probability of mindless trolls is somewhat lower than on i.e. celebrity gossip or political portals.
3rd This would be helpful in cases of topics 80 pages long, where You need to spend hours searching for valuable data. Especially if "sort by rating" function could be implemented with it.

Caito

I think not only a Like button, but a dislike.
ImageImage
Come back 747, we miss you!!