Forum posts voting system

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Richard

Re: What would you add to F1technical?

** thumbs up to not having thumbs down **

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

A thumbs up would be a lesser of the evils but the thumbs down is completely pointless apart from generating hits when clicked and the page refreashes.

The thumbs down will just become a popularity contest and be used as a tool to annoy (as it is on another motorsport site).

Giblet

The upvote and downvote of a post is supposed to be about the quality of the post IMO.

If you write the best and most insightful article ever in the history of editorials about Sauber, but I hate Sauber, I would still give a vote up because the post is well written and truthful. If I felt a post was worthy of an actual downvote because it was wrong, hateful, etc., I would also be compelled to voice my disagreement to the thought at hand.

If I happened to be someone who was downvoting threads/posts for a 'popularity contest' I wouldn't be doing the system justice, but I think I would also be in the minority.

I see how comments track on reddit. Sometimes I might get 700-800 upvotes on one little thread post, but be sure there will be 50 or so downvotes. Even if half of those are due to some unseen popularity contest conspiring against my karma, the majority will still rule as 'the fixers' be a small percentage, I would hope. On reddit, they also randomly apply downvotes all across the board to comments and articles/posts, just to help balance the bitter randomness you speak of.

To me the downvote could be an important tool for people who complain that their voice is never heard, plus, the vote can always be changed later.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew

I'll give it a chance to be implemented and see what the exact system will be as I may be comparing apples with bananas. If it is used objectively rather than a tool to annoy then I'll go for it.

Incidentally, I have noticed that 2 of the moderators have been missing for a short while. Mx_tifosi was last seen on 16/4/11 (so may just be on a sunny beach somewhere) but Dave Killens has been gone a while (last seen 13/3/11). Don't know why but earlier today I thought I hadn't seen either on here for a while.

alelanza

Downvoting has my vote, lol. I don't see what the trouble is, if I post stuff that people think is crap, then they should have a right to express that. So unless i'm afraid of being in that situation, i don't see the problem.
Alejandro L.

Giblet

I am having some trouble getting past the irony that people both for and against are voting up and down on this topic :)
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Caito

It's like true or false in an exam. When they say, if false justify.

If you want to downvote, post a reply and say why you disagree as to contribute.

Upvotes say you agree, what the guy wrote is correct or whatever.

But if a post gets lots of downvotes then what.. is it incorrect? why? or is it plain hate?

Even if this forum has a higher level of respect than others. Whenever someone posts something about MS, instantly it will get all the haters downvoting. (and lovers upvoting)

There is also sense in trying to find the most rated topics, because they probably should be read. But what's the meaning behind finding the worst rated topics.

Finally, it just provokes rivalry, or whatever should be called.

A negative vote should probably given with a post saying why you disagree. If your disagree post gets lots of thumbs up, then probably you were correct.

Anyway I believe that a clear statement as to when thumbs up should be given is necessary. Just because you agree doesn't mean a thumbs up. Posts that are above average should be given thumbs up. That depends only on the voters to happen..
Come back 747, we miss you!!

nipo

Can the mods please explain why we need a voting functionality in the first place? Thanks.

I think like/dislike, agree/disagree etc are pretty easy to recognize from the replies themselves. If there's a specific reason we need to put this opinion down as a quantity in the system, I am ready to hear. But I myself can think of none.

Giblet

nipo wrote:Can the mods please explain why we need a voting functionality in the first place? Thanks.

I think like/dislike, agree/disagree etc are pretty easy to recognize from the replies themselves. If there's a specific reason we need to put this opinion down as a quantity in the system, I am ready to hear. But I myself can think of none.
Off the top of my head :

- Another option for sorting messages and searching for messages.
- A means to be made aware of quality posts. There are too many messages on the forum to read them all.
- A means for users to express pleasure or displeasure, which they do anyways, but at least now it won't take up a whole quoted post so we can see +1. People type +1 and -1 as it is, why not give them a button?
- Voting on post quality makes content alive and gives a whole other way to sort and find info.
- If a question is asked, and 10 people answer, but only one is right, the correct answer will be usually be easier to find, but the others will not be made unseen.

If this is optional to use, and gives users more options and power while cleaning up the site, why wouldn't you want it?

If you have ever spent any time on a site like Reddit or Digg you might see it the same as me.

I can see someone not caring about it, but I can't see how it's viewed as a negative.

andrew

Giblet wrote:I can see someone not caring about it, but I can't see how it's viewed as a negative.
Go to crash.net. It looks ridiculous when someone writes a stone cold fact and yet their comment attracts several disagrees often becasue the post is an ugly truth or it is being used as a tool to annoy.

No thanks, I like my eyes not bleeding.

But crash.net has an entirely different ethos. Get as many forumers as posible and let the circus commence. They have no mision there but to host a forum for fans to fan out.

Giblet

Also, an upvote or downvote is not about your opinion on the post, as in "This post was 6/10 to me so I am going to give it a thumbs up", it's supposed to be about quality of the post or topic. An average posts deserves neither up or down.

If someone starts a topic called "Alonso really has Massa's Goat", a slew of downvotes because most people here want a technical conversation might happen. At the same time, a really great technical post gets lots of upvotes.

This gives the content of the site a slight means of self moderation. Maybe the wanting of upvotes might inspire some poor posters to up their game.

N12ck

a database could be made (moderators only) that can see how many up votes have been voted on particular posts or down votes and if they have say over 10 thumbs down, it deserves to be deleted, or it will make the poster become a better poster
Budding F1 Engineer

Shrieker

As always, the good will of the people will determine whether the outcome of this incoming function will be positive or negative. When people have a tendency to abuse, the outcome will be negative but there aren't many people here that will abuse, right ?

That said, I very much like the fish idea too ! :)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Richard

I'd like to see a "thanks" button.

It gives the ability to give a token of recognition for being positive and constructive.

Robbobnob

a simple thumbs up or thumbs down button, like Youtube, so instead of massive off topic rants people can simply dissagree with trolls.

also a android forum app.

And lets not get overly politically correct on this matter.. i live in New Zealand and you cannot breathe out of turn without the fear of upsetting other people. it sucks. people need to harden up and not be so sensitive! When life gives you lemons, make life take back the lemons, Get Mad
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna