Forum posts voting system

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Richard

Re: What would you add to F1technical?

The thumb up and down issue has been discussed earlier in this thread. I don;t want to reopen that.

I was meaning a simple "thanks" to say "than you for making the effort of posting an erudite reply". A gesture of recognition.

blokkie

Suggesting : voting comments

Would it be possible to add a [+] or [-] to forum posts so they can be valued ?

for examples see : slashdot.org where there are + insightfull , + funny
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 17 Jan 2012, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged into here from own thread

flynfrog

Re: suggesting : voting comments

blokkie wrote:Would it be possible to add a [+] or [-] to forum posts so they can be valued ?

for examples see : slashdot.org where there are + insightfull , + funny
What purpose would it serve?

blokkie

- Filtering comments which have high score in a subforum which is valued by the forum-readers ..

- Give low score to trolls / flaimbait comments so they are easely detected.

There is a ton of advantages but The real goal here is to find the juicy good stuff and let others read it because of the score.

flynfrog

blokkie wrote:- Filtering comments which have high score in a subforum which is valued by the forum-readers ..

- Give low score to trolls / flaimbait comments so they are easely detected.

There is a ton of advantages but The real goal here is to find the juicy good stuff and let others read it because of the score.
It would just turn into a vote down every one who doesn't love my favorite driver.

mx_tifoso

A voting system is in the works as we speak and it'll be integrated into the system quite soon so we'll be anxious as to its reception and use. Hopefully it serves its purpose and doesn't get abused.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Steven
Owner

Re: Forum posts voting system

Merged a new thread into the existing one about the voting system.

As mx said, this system is coming, along with the site layout update, planned to come into action somewhere before the first GP.

Some highlights:
- Votes on your own post will earn you reputation
- Each user will have a daily maximum of votes. This will be higher when your reputation is higher
- Posts dropping below a certain rating (provisionally -3) will be hidden (but displayable by a click on the posts title)
- Users dropping below a certain reputation will be disciplined
- Posts and topics with higher reputation will be more prominent, still working that out, will evolve after we go live.

Greets,
Steven

wesley123

mx_tifoso wrote:A voting system is in the works as we speak and it'll be integrated into the system quite soon so we'll be anxious as to its reception and use. Hopefully it serves its purpose and doesn't get abused.
I bet you it will get abused. Seen it on other forums, there it was quickly removed again as users abused it major time.

Like flynfrog said; It will only turn out to be a vote down option, since when another doesnt like the driver, he will get thumbed down, of another doesnt agree he will tumb down, a troll will tumb down. It will not work simple as that.

Also due to this the 'discipline' will not work. So I write a post, stating Alonso sucks, perfectly describing why I think he sucks. I made a well mannered post, giving arguments and proof of that. Guess what happens? What do you think is more likely? That I will get 100 thumbs down because I think Alonso sucks or thumbs up because it is a useful post?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Belatti

Tomba wrote: - Users dropping below a certain reputation will be disciplined

:lol:

Good luck with that!
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Steven
Owner

Well it may be removed of course, but one who doesn't try...
It works perfectly one some sites, so it's not impossible.

I have discussed this with a number of members, as well as outsiders and all the mods, and we all think that limiting the number of votes in relation to the reputation will help. This also means that initially only mods will have voting permissions, but as valuable posts appear, those people will be able to vote as well.

As such, the aim is to allow expert to encourage newbies how to post valuable stuff.

A few other bits:
- Downvotes will be limited as well, of course
- A vote is supposed to mean "valuable post" or "useless", not "I agree". Tooltips on the voting buttons will make this very clear.

And, as always, when detecting abuse or people asking for votes, mods will intervene.

WhiteBlue

Belatti wrote:
Tomba wrote: - Users dropping below a certain reputation will be disciplined
Good luck with that!
My two cents

Good rating systems focus on positives. I am posting in a forum where you can earn positive reputation called karma. Above a certain karma rating users do not see advertising. This is a big incentive. But it works with karma points only as well. Popularity rating for threads also exist but separately.

It is not good to measure the reputation by popularity of the opinion. It is not a good idea to automatically give reputation points for popular posts. The two things should be independent.

You should be able to give only one reputation points per person each day and per thread or post. You should be limited to giving ten reputation points per week. You should have an overview of the reputation points you got and by whom and the reputation points you awarded to others.

Disciplining should be the prerogative of the mods. On the other side it is very poisonous to let the mods have higher influence on the reputation system than other users. It is ok IMO to reserve certain powers like opening threads to a certain reputation status. If you mix reputation and disciplining you will have accusations of a dictatorial system pretty quickly.

It would be ok IMO if thread rating by users with higher karma/rep carries higher voting power and that lack of rating will automatically ban threads to a trash area.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Steven
Owner

@Whiteblue
- A dictatorial system is what we have now. We're trying to give you more of a voice
- Votes will be limited, as I said before. Users with rep<1 will not be able to vote
- Every user can see when and on which post he got a vote, but only above a certain rep, you will be able to see who voted on your posts
- Mods will be able to revoke a user's voting permission when abuse is detected

WhiteBlue

Tomba wrote:@Whiteblue
- A dictatorial system is what we have now. We're trying to give you more of a voice
Steven,

that is appreciated!

I just fear - together with some other users - that something basic might go wrong. The reputation system can be positive and negative.

But I urge the F1technical team to separate the content rating system from the user rating system by making them different. As I said it is fine to give high rep users more voting power in the content rating system but it is not good to do the inverse thing. Reputation points should be one man/one vote and no special influence by mods or high rep users. If you automatically give rep points to the authors of high rated posts it is a recipe for disaster. It fosters opinion rating and not quality. If rep points are awarded seperately and not by a single easy click you will find that the quality of the rating improves.

In the content rating system threads should be rated. The rep rating system should be post based. You can award one rep point per post and only one per user per day.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Belatti

I have seen a similar system of that proposed by WB in a forum I do not take part, but often visit.

I can send you the rules, but they are in spanish and the text is way too long...
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

mx_tifoso

Please send me that info Belatti.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.