Validating work claims

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
SeijaKessen

Re: Validating work claims

xpensive wrote:I believe the point here is when someone underlines his or hers opinion with hinted but un-validated credentials.

Heck, I happen to have an MSc in mechanical engineering and a whole heap of xperience of the same from various walks of businesses, but love me or loath me, did I ever try to impose that simple fact to endorse my argument?

Thing is, some members do play that card, "been there done that", which can be annoying at times.
Thanks xpensive...one of the few who actually got what I was saying.

SeijaKessen

Perhaps it is partially my fault for poor phrasing, but all my point has been is there are people who throw out their background as proof we should listen, but they don't provide any proof that it is what they claim it is. Folks are saying well they can't because god forbid they get fired or whatever else. My point is, if you are at risk for something like that occurring, then don't say anything regarding your background AT ALL.

It's really easy to claim stuff on the Internet when there is anonymity.

Jersey Tom

SeijaKessen wrote:Perhaps it is partially my fault for poor phrasing, but all my point has been is there are people who throw out their background as proof we should listen, but they don't provide any proof that it is what they claim it is.
I see where you're coming from at least, though I really don't think there are people out there who are parading around as engineers and in reality are pastry chefs or what have you. Of all the things to pick as a fantasy life, who would pick engineering? :)

Amazes me that this is even a thread topic. If you're really dying to know more about someone's background or line of work why don't you just ask them privately? Funnily enough I bet most of the automotive professionals on F1T know who each other are. I've met at least a few myself!
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

flynfrog

Jersey Tom wrote:
SeijaKessen wrote:Perhaps it is partially my fault for poor phrasing, but all my point has been is there are people who throw out their background as proof we should listen, but they don't provide any proof that it is what they claim it is.
I see where you're coming from at least, though I really don't think there are people out there who are parading around as engineers and in reality are pastry chefs or what have you. Of all the things to pick as a fantasy life, who would pick engineering? :)

Amazes me that this is even a thread topic. If you're really dying to know more about someone's background or line of work why don't you just ask them privately? Funnily enough I bet most of the automotive professionals on F1T know who each other are. I've met at least a few myself!
big bucks tells no lies.

xpensive

Jersey Tom wrote: ...
Funnily enough I bet most of the automotive professionals on F1T know who each other are. I've met at least a few myself!
Here we go... #-o
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Jersey Tom

xpensive wrote:
Funnily enough I bet most of the automotive professionals on F1T know who each other are. I've met at least a few myself!
Here we go... #-o
I don't see what's so outrageous about saying I've met other people on this forum that also work in auto/race/related fields.

Or maybe it's just a big conspiracy ring among us pastry chefs, going on pretending to live the lavish thrilling life of the engineer for all the attention and stardom it draws... if only we had spent more time studying Planck's constant rather than crafting croquembouche maybe I could have lived that life for real.

Really, that you guys get so spun out about this stuff amuses me to no end. Friday morning entertainment second only to XKCD. Like I say.. if you are dying to know more about someone's line of work - ask 'em directly. If they feel comfortable sharing their personal information on the net.. then great! If they don't, well that's just tough isn't it.

I suspect there will be much disappointment if/when you all find out that everyone here actually work as advertised and this conspiracy lust or whatever you want to call it comes to an anti-climactic conclusion.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

czt
czt

Jersey Tom wrote: I may be biased, but personally.. I liked my points earlier:

1. Those trying to win races on Sundays aren't concerned whether The Internet believes what they say one way or the other... just here for some interesting or amusing discussion.

2. Just because someone DOES work at 'X' race team supplier does not mean they are correct on any given topic, nor that their observations and beliefs are applicable to all situations.

3. Regardless of anyone's "credentials," anything they say has to be evaluated critically. If it makes sense, great. If you work out what they're trying to say and it's BS... then so be it, throw it away.
This man speaks the truth.

xpensive

I don't see what's so outrageous about saying I've met other people on this forum that also work in auto/race/related fields.
Believe it or not, but some members on this fine forum finds that statement amusing no end.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Just_a_fan

What's so funny about it?

Can't help but think there are some chips being carried on some shoulders hereabouts...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Richard

Just_a_fan wrote:Can't help but think there are some chips being carried on some shoulders hereabouts...
Indeed

Thread locked.