Quoting images

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Quoting images

While it was somewhat of an unwritten rule on this forum to not quote images, we've seen this happening more often than not, and it has required time from all mods to try to arrange this situation manually in several threads (mostly the car threads).

To resolve this, the forum has been changed so that when you quote a post, its images are converted to links. This maintains the content of the quoted post, but prevents a thread page showing a single picture over and over again. It has been implemented as the default action, while it's still possible to manually change this again. However, this should only be done after thinking 5 times over if it is really necessary.

We think this will benefit all of us!

Cheers,
F1T

hollus

Re: Quoting images

I just had to (chose to) jump over it, while reposting pictures to different threads. I think this is a good idea within a thread, but only if the posts are close together. If the post referred to is several pages back, making the picture immediately visible helps with context.

Figuring out the necessary changes to make the picture visible again is probably too uphill to most non-veteran users, so while this does clean up a bit, I am worried it might be an overkill?

How many people are bandwidth limited these days anyways? I am not, and maybe I am a bit spoiled compared to others, but I think it is partly up to the user to apply discretion there. For example, when surfing the forum from my iphone, I do not open threads like the car threads that I know are picture heavy. But then, in the desktop computer, I love having all the pictures there, not one click away.

Just my opinion.
Rivals, not enemies.

CMSMJ1

It is a good idea - if you want the pic...click it. Most of them are links to hi-res anyways!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

hollus

But how do I know if I want to see the pic? It is much faster to browse over the non interesting ones than having to click them all, move between tabs, etc. Of course this comes at the expense of bandwidth, I understand that.
Rivals, not enemies.

flynfrog

if you have chrome there is an app call sb unlinker that you only have to right click and it will open all the pics in context on the page.

Dragonfly

@Tomba
Good decision. It's a principle in almost any forum but barely observed by many posters. Quoting long posts or posts with many pictures only to reply to a single sentence or in a single sentence spoils readability a lot.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Richard

Hi Tomba, could you also do the same for youtube links please?