Guest posting disabled (anti-spam)

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Guest posting disabled (anti-spam)

Well, because of spam I have disabled guest postings in all forums except for the off topic chat and the site announcements.

Sorry to bother those honoust guests but the spambots were giving me a headache... :roll:

greetz,
Steven

zac510
zac510

Good move Tomba..
Almost all forums have to go this way these days :(

Hopefully you will leave reading the forums open to guests.

johny

well done tomba, if someone is really interested in posting he wouldn't mind to register, otherwise he could reade everything we post :D

Steven
Owner

Of course... reading is open for everyone.
I know some of you don't use the autologin and if they visit just to check something in a thread they shouldn't login for those few minutes ;)

I also think it's important to show guests what's online here to engage them to become a member.

Spencifer_Murphy

This may also help monitor what people are saying. For example, the guest who said "Never trust a frenchman" when referring to Bernard, to post he'll have to register now, and should he say things like that his post could be deleted or he could be banned if it persists.

It will help keep this forum the nice place it is. After all 99% of all posts on here are all in a friendly (albeit sometimes heated debate style) manner. Hopefully you can make that figure creep up to 100% now.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

bernard
bernard

I had been wondering for quite some time now why some people bothered to post multiple posts in a thread as guest and visit the site weekly, and yet couldn't be arsed to take two minutes to register and start posting under their own nick. It's free, after all.

Spencifer_Murphy

I guess some ppl are worried about getting Spam mail from the site...altho after a while of viewing the site it should become quite apparent that Tomba isnt one to send Spam mail.

Principessa

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:I guess some ppl are worried about getting Spam mail from the site...altho after a while of viewing the site it should become quite apparent that Tomba isnt one to send Spam mail.
Of course Tomba isn't the one who does that...we're trying to keep or visitors, not scare them away by spam :P

Spencifer_Murphy

lol, I know that, what I'm saying is that some guests who visit the site regularly but dont register may be concerened about getting spam mail....but as we all know, Tomba isnt like that.

Its like /Fx, he's a regular guest contributer, but has his reasons for not registering I guess. Altho I do hope he registers now, his comments are often insightful and provide a good basis topic for discussion.

Principessa

All people posting as guest...you've heard Spencifer_Murphy..REGISTER!
:P

And don't be afraid that we'll spam you, we don't have time for that...Not Tomba and not me :P

Spencifer_Murphy

LOL...good piont...not only are you both good people (and therefore would not send Spam), but what with studying & the wensite, you both just dont have any TIME for it either :lol:

Principessa

And I play basketball too...so I really DON'T have time for it...

Sawtooth-spike

Good move on Banning guest posts, All those stupid bot posts Really bug me.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

manchild
manchild

Can the forum be adjusted so that Guest posters can't insert hyperlinks?

I mean the whole point of spammers is to insert hyperlinks to their sites so if that would be disabled for Guests than spammers wouldn't post at all :idea:

That would enable honnest guests to write as guests.
Last edited by manchild on 14 Feb 2006, 00:46, edited 2 times in total.

Apex
Apex

I feel that this is a very good idea, well done F1-T
Dont dream it, do it.