Using chat vs forum during a race

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Using chat vs forum during a race

Post by Steven » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:36 pm

All,

I see that quite a lot of people continue to post in race threads while a race is ongoing, whereas we always suggest to use the chat.

So, may I ask why this is the case?
Perhaps we can use this feedback to improve some things.

Thanks!

justmoi

Re: Using chat vs forum during a race

Post by justmoi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:41 pm

I tried the chat once. Absolutely hated the format (dunno if it's changed now though).

It's the little things mate.. :)

TAG

Post by TAG » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Permanence.
5 Time WDC Party Mode ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WaikeCU

Post by WaikeCU » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:45 pm

I have been in chat before, but I think it's less accessible on mobile. If you phone locks, you're logged out of the chat and when you open up your phone and open up your browser, you would login again?

Forum would be just post without constant login/logout I think. I think that's the main reason. It's easier.

Steven
Owner

Post by Steven » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:46 pm

TAG wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:42 pm
Permanence.
So you're saying you go back to see posts like "Wow, such a big crash" ?

Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:49 pm

TAG wrote:
Permanence.
This.

And its hard to use on a phone. I mean, during the race, i am more inclined to watch what is happening on the tv screen and not the text in the chat zipping by.

Forum is easier. You open it when you feel like it, dont miss any posts and can still read it in the pace you feel comfortable with.

And the chat is not at all comfortable to use on the smartphone. When the phone goes into sleep/idle, the chat will disconnect.
Last edited by Phil on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

JonoNic

Post by JonoNic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:49 pm

I get kicked out of the chat due to inactivity. The forum is much easier to use.
Always find the gap then use it.

Steven
Owner

Post by Steven » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:52 pm

So, we need:

- Login by using the site useraccount
- See messages posted before the moment you joined

Does anybody feel it would be downside if that would mean we can no longer chat with IRC?
(I don't btw)

justmoi

Post by justmoi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:53 pm

So so far we have user interface, simplicity, access and chat history. A bit to work on then..

justmoi

Post by justmoi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Steven wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:52 pm
So, we need:

Does anybody feel it would be downside if that would mean we can no longer chat with IRC?
(I don't btw)
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with using the forum though?

And yes i do like to catch up on a thread after when I can't follow it live eg due to watching the race

Just_a_fan

Post by Just_a_fan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:56 pm

I tried chat twice, never got it to work, gave up. The forum just works and is permanent. Don't see the need for a separate place to go.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools."

Steven
Owner

Post by Steven » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:59 pm

justmoi wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:55 pm
Steven wrote:
So, we need:

(I don't btw)

And yes i do like to catch up on a thread after when I can't follow it live eg due to watching the race
So you think that if we push all chat messages through in posts (probably more than 500), resulting in equally as many posts, you'd be able to follow in the forum format, where there's 20 messages per page?

Ennis

Post by Ennis » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:12 pm

Generally, I just don't like the rule of conversation that chat generates. A sea of people talking over one another, nobody stepping back or considering, just a sea of emotional reaction.

I know the race thread is hardly the pinnacle of in depth debate, but if still lends itself to discussion and debate rather than constant reactions.

WaikeCU

Post by WaikeCU » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Phil wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:49 pm
TAG wrote:
Permanence.
This.

And its hard to use on a phone. I mean, during the race, i am more inclined to watch what is happening on the tv screen and not the text in the chat zipping by.

Forum is easier. You open it when you feel like it, dont miss any posts and can still read it in the pace you feel comfortable with.

And the chat is not at all comfortable to use on the smartphone. When the phone goes into sleep/idle, the chat will disconnect.
Imagine a lot people posting things at the same time in the chat room after you have posted yours. You will lose conversation. It's not easy on a notebook and certainely not going to be easier on a mobile.

justmoi

Post by justmoi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Steven wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:59 pm
justmoi wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:55 pm
Steven wrote:
So, we need:

(I don't btw)

So you think that if we push all chat messages through in posts (probably more than 500), resulting in equally as many posts, you'd be able to follow in the forum format, where there's 20 messages per page?
No. I meant use the forum as is for race chats and drop the live chat.

I don't get the point of the live chat. If anything it takes people away from the forum albeit temporarily