More Moderators Please

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
529
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

Another positive suggestion: all deleted posts should have a reason given to the poster by the deleting moderator.

At the moment, one or two mods are just stealth deleting stuff that they disagree with and doing so with no reasons given to the users.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

User avatar
dans79
245
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:14 pm
Another positive suggestion: all deleted posts should have a reason given to the poster by the deleting moderator.

At the moment, one or two mods are just stealth deleting stuff that they disagree with and doing so with no reasons given to the users.

Including content relevant to the thread it was posted in!
183 103 103 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
529
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

dans79 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:15 pm
Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:14 pm
Another positive suggestion: all deleted posts should have a reason given to the poster by the deleting moderator.

At the moment, one or two mods are just stealth deleting stuff that they disagree with and doing so with no reasons given to the users.

Including content relevant to the thread it was posted in!
Indeed so. Happens all the time but it's interesting to see what gets deleted. Interesting that some stuff is OT but other stuff that is similar isn't. Interesting which side of a given discussion is more likely to be deleted too. Ah well, I guess the cancel culture is alive and well in GPTechnical aka Orange Land. :lol:
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

User avatar
SiLo
96
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:14 pm
Another positive suggestion: all deleted posts should have a reason given to the poster by the deleting moderator.

At the moment, one or two mods are just stealth deleting stuff that they disagree with and doing so with no reasons given to the users.
This has happened to me a few times and it's very annoying. A reason would be nice.
Felipe Baby!

User avatar
hollus
Moderator
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

Just_a_fan wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:57 pm
dans79 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:15 pm
Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:14 pm
Another positive suggestion: all deleted posts should have a reason given to the poster by the deleting moderator.

At the moment, one or two mods are just stealth deleting stuff that they disagree with and doing so with no reasons given to the users.

Including content relevant to the thread it was posted in!
Indeed so. Happens all the time but it's interesting to see what gets deleted. Interesting that some stuff is OT but other stuff that is similar isn't. Interesting which side of a given discussion is more likely to be deleted too. Ah well, I guess the cancel culture is alive and well in GPTechnical aka Orange Land. :lol:
We get accused of being fans of all teams. I take it as a sign that we might be doing something OKish. (Note: we must start favoring Haas...).

More seriously:
"it's interesting to see what gets deleted"
"Interesting which side of a given discussion is more likely to be deleted too"

The interesting thing is that Mercedes fans accuse us of deleting mostly "anti Red Bull" or "Pro Mercedes" stuff,while allowing the opposite, and at the same time Red Bull fans accuse us of deleting "Pro Red Bull" and "Anti Mercedes" stuff while allowing the opposite to stay.
How, just how, could you have an accurate overall picture of everything that is being deleted?
Everyone sees its own part mostly, because other deletions are invisible to you unless you saw them before they were deleted.

P.S. most of the time (not all, humans here), what gets deleted was of topic or ended being part of an off topic escapade. Checking where you post what goes a long way towards not getting you posts deleted.
I would like to see a paleontologist.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
529
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

hollus wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:23 pm
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:57 pm
dans79 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:15 pm



Including content relevant to the thread it was posted in!
Indeed so. Happens all the time but it's interesting to see what gets deleted. Interesting that some stuff is OT but other stuff that is similar isn't. Interesting which side of a given discussion is more likely to be deleted too. Ah well, I guess the cancel culture is alive and well in GPTechnical aka Orange Land. :lol:
We get accused of being fans of all teams. I take it as a sign that we might be doing something OKish. (Note: we must start favoring Haas...).

More seriously:
"it's interesting to see what gets deleted"
"Interesting which side of a given discussion is more likely to be deleted too"

The interesting thing is that Mercedes fans accuse us of deleting mostly "anti Red Bull" or "Pro Mercedes" stuff,while allowing the opposite, and at the same time Red Bull fans accuse us of deleting "Pro Red Bull" and "Anti Mercedes" stuff while allowing the opposite to stay.
How, just how, could you have an accurate overall picture of everything that is being deleted?
Everyone sees its own part mostly, because other deletions are invisible to you unless you saw them before they were deleted.

P.S. most of the time (not all, humans here), what gets deleted was of topic or ended being part of an off topic escapade. Checking where you post what goes a long way towards not getting you posts deleted.
When one posts a response to a post and yours is deleted and the original post isn't, that rings a bell straight away. Some of us can remember discussions we're in and are [not] surprised to sometimes find portions of those discussion deleted leaving a thread that appears to be somewhat one-sided.

As I mentioned in a previous part of the thread - either delete everything that's off topic or delete nothing. To selectively delete posts, especially if done stealthily, will always cause annoyance in the user-base. If the mods seemingly randomly decide what is off topic then we end up with a situation like we have in the races - the participants don't know what is and isn't allowed. In that case they either get fed up and leave or they just think "sod it, I'll post what I like and see if it gets deleted".

If there aren't enough mods - and the fact that comments are made that mods have lives to live too suggests they are stretched - then we either need more mods or we need a lighter touch in certain areas so that important stuff is dealt with.

Better to let the race threads go where they will, in my opinion, and keep the more technical stuff well cared for. The idea that the race threads are a repository of knowledge for others to come back to and read is touching but fallacious.

Yes, an in depth look at a component as posted by Brian G here should be kept as clean as a whistle with only relevant on topic posts allowed. That is a repository of useful knowledge. That is something this forum has that few, if any, others have. That is the golden nugget.

The arguments and ramblings of a group of team and driver fans (that's what the race threads amount to) are not useful knowledge albeit they are of general interest to the forum's users. Stealthily deleting posts that you consider OT but that are part of an ongoing discussion of general F1 interest does the site no favours, IMHO, and it appears from the posts of others that I am not alone in this.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

User avatar
flynfrog
Moderator
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:31 pm

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:14 pm
Another positive suggestion: all deleted posts should have a reason given to the poster by the deleting moderator.

At the moment, one or two mods are just stealth deleting stuff that they disagree with and doing so with no reasons given to the users.
this is usually down to the number posts getting deleted in a topic. When a select few decide to derail or bicker in a thread I am not going to waste my time giving a reason for the dozen posts deleted.

User avatar
flynfrog
Moderator
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:31 pm

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

hollus wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:23 pm

We get accused of being fans of all teams. I take it as a sign that we might be doing something OKish. (Note: we must start favoring Haas...).
I thought this years was Williams next year was Hass.

Believe it or not outside of Steven being a huge Alonso Fan (ask him about the tattoo) most of the mods dont even have a favorite team. We have been here for a long time and came for the technical side of the racing. This was a really cool place back in the day where guys like scarbs and others hung out and there was legit technical discussion. Today the loudest and most prominent voices only care about preaching how good their favorite driver is and attacking anyone who disagrees.

Id say the spread of deleted posts is pretty even among a select 10 or who like one team or another we don't really care what team or driver you like. Maybe if you think your posts are being targeted ask yourself why Ill give you a hint it's not down to what driver you like.

User avatar
RZS10
237
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

You do get it completely wrong every now and then though and the feedback is often ... lacking.

Had a post deleted which was part of an ongoing on topic discussion (don't exactly recall but i answered a question about certain rules with quotes from the regulations and included a mild joke but the post was definitely more valuable than many others in that thread), when i asked why it was deleted i was told that it was off topic, which it very clearly wasn't, the remainder of the discussion wasn't removed either. The most ironic thing was that later on there were wrong claims and an even longer needless discussion about the very thing i answered which potentially could have been cut short had the post stayed.

My guess is that someone just reported the post because they didn't like the additional remark, the veracity of the report wasn't properly checked and it was just deleted and 'off topic' was also given as the reason without having another look at the post when i asked why - any further inquiry was then met with silence.

edit: i feel like i should add that something similar happened today but got cleared up quickly via friendly PMs
Last edited by RZS10 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
295
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

In my opinion, if the amount of users have grown considerably and therefore the amount of activity in the threads and number of posts, increasing the amount of Moderators would potentially help with the situation… I do believe that the current Team of Mods is doing a good job and can empathize with how hard the job has to be with not only the amount of additional activity, but also the fact that nowadays between the oversensitivity of some (that take everything as an insult and that criticism towards whomever they root for is taken personal) and the fact that sometimes the whole intention of a post is to create a reaction on the other side by taking digs has to make things more difficult.

There are a few things that could be done that may help with the situation:

A) Maybe have the posts of new participants / forum members vetted for a period of time? (In a decent size forum I used to moderate at, new members would have their posts approved by the moderation team for their first 100 posts before they were posted) it was a bit excessive maybe, but we avoided people just posting with the intention of derailing threads, gave us an opportunity to teach the new members what was acceptable and what wasn’t and avoided a lot of unwanted situations in the threads).

B) Reach out to some of the long standing members to try and help steer discussions in a better direction, without any finger pointing, some of the ones in this thread are sometimes part of the problem, most often than not by taking the bait from someone who clearly just wants to antagonize… The forum veterans (which are also the ones that probably account for the majority of the activity in the forum) could also help with the situation by simply stepping away when the arguments clearly become circular… If the other person doesn’t want to or can’t understand / agree with your point of view, just let it go… Keep going at it to proof your point as right or trying to change the others person mind is a futile endeavor.

Finally, I also don’t believe the situation is as bad as it may be implied… Yes, the Race Threads are always messy since emotions and passions are running high (and this season has provided a lot of drama to fuel that), but for the most part the forum is still healthy in the content and discussions… You can still find pretty informative and well thought posts and analysis… If what happens in the race threads is too much for some, it’s easy… Avoid them, I personally glance at them and avoid participating much in them.

Just my 2 cents :)

User avatar
Big Tea
85
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

Would it help if the deleted posts just had the text removed and something like

Post by deleted by Mod1- or even just a graphic stamp which could be a single hotkey press?

There would be transparency of the post being removed and by who
Mod1 does not have to be known to the board, just other mods
Mankind did not invent the laws of mathematics, we rediscovered them.

User avatar
El Scorchio
20
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

I must be missing something. Can a mod tell me why my reply to DChemTech on the AD race thread is deleted please? We were having a very civil discourse which surely can’t have offended anyone. And if only my post(s) is deleted shouldn’t his be as well, for obvious reasons?

This deleting of half a perfectly inoffensive, rational and civil ( especially considering a lot of other posts on the same and surrounding pages) conversations is absolutely baffling.

User avatar
Wouter
88
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

Big Tea wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:17 pm
Would it help if the deleted posts just had the text removed and something like

Post by deleted by Mod1- or even just a graphic stamp which could be a single hotkey press?

There would be transparency of the post being removed and by who
Mod1 does not have to be known to the board, just other mods
Does it matter to us which moderator deleted something or who deleted the most?
mod 1, mod 2, mod 3, etc.
The moderators can see for themselves who has deleted something.

It sounds like you are thinking that it is always a certain moderator who deletes most messages and that he maybe has a preference for a team or driver. Sorry if I am wrong.
As moderator @flynfrog said: " ... most of the mods dont even have a favorite team." The mods are not deleting a post because: " ... it's not down to what driver you like."
The Power of Honda!

User avatar
Big Tea
85
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

Wouter wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:36 pm
Big Tea wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:17 pm
Would it help if the deleted posts just had the text removed and something like

Post by deleted by Mod1- or even just a graphic stamp which could be a single hotkey press?

There would be transparency of the post being removed and by who
Mod1 does not have to be known to the board, just other mods
Does it matter to us which moderator deleted something or who deleted the most?
mod 1, mod 2, mod 3, etc.
The moderators can see for themselves who has deleted something.

It sounds like you are thinking that it is always a certain moderator who deletes most messages and that he maybe has a preference for a team or driver. Sorry if I am wrong.
As moderator @flynfrog said: " ... most of the mods dont even have a favorite team." The mods are not deleting a post because: " ... it's not down to what driver you like."
But it would show a post has been removed not just disappeared

I have gone looking for one of my own posts and wondered where it was gone only to find later I had posted in a different thread.
Mankind did not invent the laws of mathematics, we rediscovered them.

DChemTech
DChemTech
36
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am
Location: Delft, NL

Re: More Moderators Please

Post

El Scorchio wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:35 pm
I must be missing something. Can a mod tell me why my reply to DChemTech on the AD race thread is deleted please? We were having a very civil discourse which surely can’t have offended anyone. And if only my post(s) is deleted shouldn’t his be as well, for obvious reasons?

This deleting of half a perfectly inoffensive, rational and civil ( especially considering a lot of other posts on the same and surrounding pages) conversations is absolutely baffling.
I support you here, was a bit surprised that of all messages, that part got deleted 😅