What would you add to F1technical?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

Re: What would you add to F1technical?

Hi Tomba, love the site and the depth of knowledge that is apparent in many of the forums. I also appreciate the work all of you moderators put in and I call on all members to show a little more respect and take more responsibility for your post; try to keep them clean and non-abusive.

1) why don't you add a twitter feed to the site so we can follow up on some of the teams and Scarbs without having to go to their pages. Some sport sites have a twitter feed on the side that has a continuous feed of happenings.
2) in the main forum page it would be helpful if you copy the way that piratebay.org filter their material. You simply have to click on one of the filters on top instead of having to browse down to the bottom of the page and then click on the different filter options. Good luck with everything and thanks again for giving us this platform.
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

manchild
manchild

Jester Maroc wrote:why don't you add a twitter feed to the site so we can follow up on some of the teams and Scarbs without having to go to their pages. Some sport sites have a twitter feed on the side that has a continuous feed of happenings.
:arrow: http://twitter.com/f1technical/

Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

Yes manchild I know about the twitter feed, what I mean is a twitter feed on the website itself where one can see posts without having to log into twitter and where the moderators can choose what feeds to follow within the website. Makes it easier for us F1 fans if everything is located on one place so we don't have to go from one site to the other.
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I'd like proper an off topic section (call it the "bar" or something) that is properly off topic and free from moderator involvement. I accept that illegal stuff needs to be dealt with but ranting and insulting etc. should be allowed. The overarching rule being "if you post then you have to accept the responses". Anything deemed OT in the rest of the forum can then be dumped in to this forum and ignored by those who wish to focus on OT.

Either that, or make 'off topic' mean 'anything not F1 related' and mod it accordingly. I can remember people moaning about OT stuff even when it's posted in the 'off topic' section. When it's pointed out that the topic is 'off topic' they still ask "what's it got to do with F1?" !

If the mods have already gone down this route then please delete this post. Thanks.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Caito
Caito

I think it needs a "mechanic" subforum.

There are the f1 subforums, the news, and other series.

But, for example I made a thread in which I showed a design of a buggy I'm building. With solidworks and susprog suspensions,etc. It was moved to offtopic because it doesn't fit anywhere else. It got little views and when I asked for help it went unnoticed.

If someone wants (for example) to discuss the functioning of a differential, how it works. Where would you put that?
Come back 747, we miss you!!

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Post numbers?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Yeah, numbers would be useful.

Some sites let you post the number you're replying at the start of your reply as a hotlink so that someone follwoing the thread can quickly go to it. Better than some of the multiple reposts of the same picture/comment in several responses.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

forty-two

I would be very interested in an F1Technical Forum "App" which would allow me to read and post to the forum on my mobile without needing to use a web-browser to do it. I guess this would be tricky, not least because there are at least four competing o/s's for smartphones at the moment (Android, Blackberry, Iphone and Windows) so I image that even if such an application were easy to produce for one model, it would be hard to support all.

Just my tuppence!

Alternatively, some form of twitter feed which reflects the forum would be good, but of course that would be tricky, not least because most forum posts are significantly longer than Twitter allows in a single tweet, and they often contain many images.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Richard
Richard

Caito wrote:I think it needs a "mechanic" subforum.

There are the f1 subforums, the news, and other series.

But, for example I made a thread in which I showed a design of a buggy I'm building. With solidworks and susprog suspensions,etc. It was moved to offtopic because it doesn't fit anywhere else. It got little views and when I asked for help it went unnoticed.

If someone wants (for example) to discuss the functioning of a differential, how it works. Where would you put that?
+1 There are few DIY people on here, including a certain R107 owner.

Not sure "mechanic" is the right name though. Probably "Car setup and mechanics"

mep

How about hiding the of topic section from not registered visitors? By this the mods don’t have to care so much about what is written there because only insiders will see it. This allows the users to write what they want and still let the site look clean. I saw this implemented on a other forum where the mods where very worried about a clean look.

Richard
Richard

FF4 no longer shows the whole title in the top of the window, it is only shown in the tab. The tabs work best with short titles. If you have many tabs open on a small laptop screen you only see “View topic” on each tab.

Would it be possible to delete the part that says “View Topic –“ please?

myurr
myurr

forty-two wrote:I would be very interested in an F1Technical Forum "App" which would allow me to read and post to the forum on my mobile without needing to use a web-browser to do it. I guess this would be tricky, not least because there are at least four competing o/s's for smartphones at the moment (Android, Blackberry, Iphone and Windows) so I image that even if such an application were easy to produce for one model, it would be hard to support all.

Just my tuppence!

Alternatively, some form of twitter feed which reflects the forum would be good, but of course that would be tricky, not least because most forum posts are significantly longer than Twitter allows in a single tweet, and they often contain many images.
The easiest way of achieving this would be to produce a mobile skin for the main web pages and then embed those in an app. I'd be happy to write the Android version.

Writing a full app would allow for many more interesting features, plus things like live chat feeds during races and practice sessions, but would be much more involved to develop and would require an API in order to play nice with the website. I'd still be happy to be involved with all that, but it would be a big job and would be best with several contributors.

beret

I am a fan of F1technical.com. Before adding to something new, I want to apprise MODS to update existing data. Just now I've been through series comparison of Database section. It was sad to see that the section has not been updated since 2008.
Aerodynamics for people who dont build powerful engines.-->ENZO FERRARI

Steven
Owner

richard_leeds wrote:FF4 no longer shows the whole title in the top of the window, it is only shown in the tab. The tabs work best with short titles. If you have many tabs open on a small laptop screen you only see “View topic” on each tab.

Agreed and DONE! :wink:

Richard
Richard

Tomba wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:FF4 no longer shows the whole title in the top of the window, it is only shown in the tab. The tabs work best with short titles. If you have many tabs open on a small laptop screen you only see “View topic” on each tab.

Agreed and DONE! :wink:

Thank you. Moderating doesn't suck after all!