Is F1technical loading fast enough?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Is F1technical loading fast enough?

Hi all,

could you let me know how you'd evaluate the loading speed of pages here on f1technical? I'm going through an evaluation in order to detect problems and solve them where possible.

Thank you,
Steven

PNSD
PNSD

Re: Is F1technical loading fast enough?

Funnily enough its been abit all over latley. Im not sure if its my connection or not, but sometimes its quick othertimes its quite slow.

Normally though, its good enough, i mean how quick do you need a web-page to load.

manchild
manchild

Site and forum are ok, pictures in gallery load too slow.

tomislavp4

Everything is OK for me :D

Steven
Owner

PNSD wrote:Funnily enough its been abit all over latley. Im not sure if its my connection or not, but sometimes its quick othertimes its quite slow.

Normally though, its good enough, i mean how quick do you need a web-page to load.
Well it's for the slow times of course. It we want to grow it's vital to give a good service and not a slowish site. People hardly come back if that happens on their first visits.

Anyway, I had the impression that sometimes the top banner adserver is slow, together with some analysis scripts. I have moved as much as possible to the bottom of the page so that the page can load first instead of waiting for invisible stuff to load.

checkered

I'd say 80%

of the time everything's OK, 18% of the time the site appears sluggish and 2% of the time I opt for doing something else meanwhile I wait for the page to load (or decide to revisit you later). Mostly I don't even try to find out what slows me down since the reasons are so trivial and varied: Backround operations (automatic updates, firewall, antivir etc.), general net sluggishness (I'm supposed to have pretty fast connections at home - the real performance varies for reasons known to savvy web users) ... etc. Mostly whenever I observe something out of the ordinary with the F1T, at least it doesn't correlate with the number of users online.

Some time ago, the BBC reported a study that found 10 seconds loading time being the average "cutoff" after which people rapidly lose interest. My impression is that we're under that in almost any circumstances when it comes to "home, news, technology", etc. sections. The pictures overall may trail a bit in the forum too (those being offsite, the reponsibility is mostly on us to recognise sensible sources and sizes) and using the "first unread post" can have a user being bumped off what one's reading by a large, unresized image suddenly appearing higher up in the thread.

bizadfar
bizadfar

manchild wrote:Site and forum are ok, pictures in gallery load too slow.

AGree, I would put a bit more weight on it though (might be due to the fact I'm all the way down here in Sydney). The forums is sometimes really slow and unresponsive at first, pictures in the gallary are way too slow. Forum is tolerable.

Ciro Pabón

I imagine Steven knows very well the many tools that exist for checking the speed of a site. I used Curl some time ago, because it simulates easily thousands of users loading the site, but it's an old tool. Here you have a couple of sites, just in case:

- http://www.slac.stanford.edu/xorg/nmtf/ ... html#intro Stanford list of tools
- http://www.ozwebfx.com/catalog/modules. ... eResources Oz site
- http://www.softwareqatest.com/qatweb1.html Software QA Test resource list
- http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/ W3C tools

Me, I'm fine with this site speed, but don't take my word: first modem I used was at 1200 bps, 2400 felt like a rocket (when BBSs existed). You know, it's like asking to the waiter if the soup is good... the soup is ALWAYS good. Same here: the people that answers is the people that come back, so they think this "soup" is good.
Ciro

nae
nae

the old asking the users method is good too

generally this site is one of the fast ones for me
even when i hit it hard and ask for loads of forums posts to load at once
..?