2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

Lewis didn't know Max was giving the place back, I'd say it's the FIA trying to cover over the fact Masi made some real blunders
during the race yesterday. If the fault is anyone's then I'd place it at Masi's door.

astracrazy
astracrazy

Just watched this race and I can't help but feel this was a s**t show created by Masi.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

taperoo2k wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 20:42
Lewis didn't know Max was giving the place back, I'd say it's the FIA trying to cover over the fact Masi made some real blunders
during the race yesterday. If the fault is anyone's then I'd place it at Masi's door.
Of course he did know #-o ... if he actually didn't know he would have overtaken Verstappen. Verstappen could've a sudden failure... you won't hang around to find out would you??
He deliberately held back not to pass the DRS line and played dumbfounded, works much better to fool people.

dans79

https://www.grandprix.com/news/red-bull ... marko.html

So how much pie does helmut have on his face?
Marko, though, also kept his season-long dispute with Wolff in the highest gear.

"First we can defuse this so-called brake test which Hamilton was so upset about," he told Sky Deutschland. "I've hardly ever seen anything so weird.

"No change in brake pressure can be seen on our data. Hamilton just miscalculated. Then we get a penalty and Max's tyres were damaged with two big cuts.
197 104 103 7

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

ArcticWolfie wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 20:48
taperoo2k wrote:
Of course he did know #-o ... if he actually didn't know he would have overtaken Verstappen. Verstappen could've a sudden failure... you won't hang around to find out would you??
He deliberately held back not to pass the DRS line and played dumbfounded, works much better to fool people.
breaktest worth of 2.6 G deacceleration ==> DSQ. there is no buts or ifs....

PlatinumZealot

Incognito wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 14:58
Also, the Lap 17 restart wasn't a dive bomb (if that was what you were referring to). It was a great move by Verstappen and Hamilton wasn't forced off the track. He and Ocon had a coming together and Ocon went off.
It was a clear divebomb. He cut almost 90 degrees across the track and went right on across the curbs. How does that show any skill?

It's a small miracle that Lewis avoided that collision, but I feel he knew it was better to let Max through than try to block. Max would have slashed his tryes or something I Lewis block at that point.

And yes I do believe it is withing Max's capabilities at this point in the war to "accidentally" slash Lewis' tyres going by everything we have seen so far.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

astracrazy
astracrazy

foxmulder_ms wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 20:59
ArcticWolfie wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:
2.6g in an f1 car isn't much, they can easily create over 1g just lifting off the throttle. Over 5g full breaking.

I blame Masi personally.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

foxmulder_ms wrote:
ArcticWolfie wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:
There was no brake check... and it was only 2.4G for a moment and barely worth mentioning like @foxmulder_ms says.

Roo
Roo

dans79 wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 20:57
https://www.grandprix.com/news/red-bull ... marko.html

So how much pie does helmut have on his face?
Marko, though, also kept his season-long dispute with Wolff in the highest gear.

"First we can defuse this so-called brake test which Hamilton was so upset about," he told Sky Deutschland. "I've hardly ever seen anything so weird.

"No change in brake pressure can be seen on our data. Hamilton just miscalculated. Then we get a penalty and Max's tyres were damaged with two big cuts.
No change; but there wasn't no pressure. Marko talking to the new gen on social media, eveyone else is puzzled at the audacity

Roo
Roo

ArcticWolfie wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 21:08
foxmulder_ms wrote:
ArcticWolfie wrote:

There was no brake check... and it was only 2.4G for a moment and barely worth mentioning like @foxmulder_ms says.

Go drive down the road two meter from the car infront at 50kmh and react to the stopping in a moment when there is no reason to.

The absolute logic of some.

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

ArcticWolfie wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:
Lewis didn't know Max was giving thnoe place back, I'd say it's the FIA trying to cover over the fact Masi made some real blunders
Let's say Hamilton knew. If Verstappen, the one judged to have passed off track, wants to give the place up strategically, then Hamilton has the right to choose where to do the pass. You see how this goes?

rogazilla
rogazilla

Roo wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 21:15
ArcticWolfie wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 21:08
foxmulder_ms wrote:

Go drive down the road two meter from the car infront at 50kmh and react to the stopping in a moment when there is no reason to.

The absolute logic of some.
Couple things to consider: VER does not know that HAM didn't get the message that he's letting him by. From the initial lift off, typically the other driver would have flew by and if HAM got the message, he would have gone by as soon as VER lifted. VER lifted and probably don't understand or wondering why HAM is not passing and started to brake and HAM still don't pass. Then you have DRS line and probably frustration at this point. I think not communicate to Merc first that RC is asking VER to give back position is probably the biggest issue.

cooken
cooken

The fact that F1 cars can hit 5g doesn't somehow make 2.6g insignificant. The human reaction time is unaffected by whether the driver is in a road car or race car. Any sudden, unexpected deceleration (even at 1g) will be extremely difficult to avoid if close enough behind. Most of us will never actually experience even 1.5g braking deceleration in our lifetime, even if we hopped in our road car and slammed on the brakes.

What a moronic pile of garbage in here.

proteus

El Scorchio wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 17:12
proteus wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 16:47
El Scorchio wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 16:36
Unfortunately after yesterday I don't have any faith that there won't be (or at least there won't be an attempt at) a championship deciding collision. It really saddens me.
If behind, Hamilton is going to have to hope that his car has enough grunt to make a very clean pass with a very wide berth on that long straight. Trying to overtake at any corner looks like a completely pointless exercise, given what we've witnessed in Saudi and Brazil.
In all honesty what did you expect? Mercedes is so much quicker that Max is forced into diving manouvres and "do or die" moves. Lewis got .3 to.5 advantage on the straight without DRS. Snipped front wing, fully stressed harder tyres from following and still able to smash fastest laps one after another towards the end. It is not in Max blood to stand down and move over. He has gone down fighting - questionable at times, but nothing we havent seen before (Schumacher - Hill, Senna - Prost, etc.) The biggest difference between Lewis and Max is that with Max you know he wont budge, while Lewis will be looking you in your eyes, smile at you and tapping you on the shoulder and stab you in the back. Thats why i stopped cheering for him after his Mclaren career. One thing is certain - Max managed to force Lewis into giving his all. Something he wasnt used to do for quite a long time.
Being in a car with a pace deficit is zero excuse for behaving like that. You didn't see Ocon doing that to Bottas, or indeed anyone doing it to Verstappen in the races he had to make places through the field. You barely ever see anyone do what Verstappen did in Brazil or multiple times in SA. You cannot justify that behaviour by saying he was in a slower car or he was desperate.
Depends how soft the spectators and drivers became. Years back this might end up with a fist fight and possible mutual respect after that or atleast avoidance. But in this tender times where even an improper sneeze might be ofensive, this wont happen and thats why them both are reckless as they are. Even Lewis is not spotless in this, no matter how much are you trying to find excuses for him. And yes, Max acts out of desperation and i can understand that, since my blood is also red and i can feel his pain. Was Senna any different? Lots of incident happened troughout his whole career when he pushed to the last limit - even Brundle stated that it often went to a point where one of the drivers would not be able to get trough.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

rifrafs2kees wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 21:20
ArcticWolfie wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:
Lewis didn't know Max was giving thnoe place back, I'd say it's the FIA trying to cover over the fact Masi made some real blunders
Let's say Hamilton knew. If Verstappen, the one judged to have passed off track, wants to give the place up strategically, then Hamilton has the right to choose where to do the pass. You see how this goes?
Yes, it's a very gray area but not illegal or f*cked up like most fans are screaming. They are both racing to WIN and Hamilton plays verbal part better than Verstappen.
In my opinion Hamilton deserved a penalty because he obviously knew what Verstappen was up to. But the FIA doesn't work that way, that's what bothers me more than the penalty itself.

Do you penalize the one braking to force the one that needs to overtake or do you penalize the one that drives into the back of the one you refuse to overtake?