2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
west52keep64

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

_cerber1 wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 14:21
Seidl: "Important" McLaren got to grips with Mercedes PU ahead of new F1 regs
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/seidl ... s/6886290/
The new rules will massively restrict development on the car, pushing the cars closer to a spec than ever before. The expected result of this is a greatly reduced performance delta between the cars. That could mean the PU has much more of an influence on overall performance, potentially putting the Mercedes powered cars at an advantage. Add to this the fact McLaren has been able to focus on their 2022 car much more than the current title contenders, potentially evidenced by the fact they dropped back over the year compared to Ferrari, I think that puts them in as a potential title contenders for 2022. Getting the Mercedes PU could prove to be a very smart move indeed.

mclaren111

Can't wait for next year... We're gonna have a good one... :D

diffuser

west52keep64 wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 15:37
_cerber1 wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 14:21
Seidl: "Important" McLaren got to grips with Mercedes PU ahead of new F1 regs
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/seidl ... s/6886290/
The new rules will massively restrict development on the car, pushing the cars closer to a spec than ever before. The expected result of this is a greatly reduced performance delta between the cars. That could mean the PU has much more of an influence on overall performance, potentially putting the Mercedes powered cars at an advantage. Add to this the fact McLaren has been able to focus on their 2022 car much more than the current title contenders, potentially evidenced by the fact they dropped back over the year compared to Ferrari, I think that puts them in as a potential title contenders for 2022. Getting the Mercedes PU could prove to be a very smart move indeed.
Pretty sure that Ferrari stopped working on the 2021 challenger before McLaren did. They had a great chassis from the jump, remember they were on pole and finished 2nd at Monaco. They were just low on power so bringing the new PU helped alot. It required some new packaging but it didn't use any wind tunnel time. Also Ferrari has had more wind tunnel time all year grace to where they finished last year and their points in June. Anyways, lots "coulds" and possitive stuff in that article. Hope they do well but most of what he's saying in that article is speculative. Fact is, anyone can find the secret sauce and run away with it next year.

mwillems

I just hope we don't start with any sub optimal baked in designs. Next year will be a design race from start to finish as teams learn from each other and develop new ideas.
We've always been good at this so most important is a great base that can be developed around. If we get that then we are in a good place. Any team that has baked in issues could have a lot of work to do to catch up.

As was mentioned above though Ferrari are a big threat next season and did more 2022 work this year than us.
Given the way the team seem to manage themselves very effectively though, I'm cautiously optimistic that this is because of a decent package.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 18:43
I just hope we don't start with any sub optimal baked in designs. Next year will be a design race from start to finish as teams learn from each other and develop new ideas.
We've always been good at this so most important is a great base that can be developed around. If we get that then we are in a good place. Any team that has baked in issues could have a lot of work to do to catch up.

As was mentioned above though Ferrari are a big threat next season and did more 2022 work this year than us.
Given the way the team seem to manage themselves very effectively though, I'm cautiously optimistic that this is because of a decent package.

With Key, Stella, Prodromou & the new stucture by Seidl we have every reason to be optimistic... :D

the EDGE
the EDGE

He may have missed 5th thanks to a few dodgy Pirelli’s… but our very own Lando has been voted 3rd best driver on the 2021 grid by the TPs 👏 👏 👏

https://www.gpfans.com/amp/article.php?id=73743

west52keep64

mclaren111 wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 12:46
With Key, Stella, Prodromou & the new stucture by Seidl we have every reason to be optimistic... :D
Agreed, all the foundations are there. With the two main title contenders very much focused on this season, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect McLaren to leapfrog Red Bull. It's really hard to say with Mercedes though who seemed to come through the last regulation change even stronger, whereas teams like Red Bull slipped back and then had to regain the lost ground. Ferrari could also spring a bit of a surprise, although I don't think enough has fundamentally changed in the team to make that possible and they haven't really made it work for a while now.

If I was going to put some bets down for 2022 I would probably bet on McLaren being contenders alongside Mercedes. Sadly, Mercedes could have the edge being a works team, but who knows? My rough guess is something like:
  1. Merc
  2. McLaren
  3. Ferrari
  4. Aston Martin
  5. Alpine
  6. Red Bull
  7. AT
  8. Williams
  9. Alpha
  10. Haas

Big Tea

west52keep64 wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 02:20
mclaren111 wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 12:46
Agreed, all the foundations are there. With the two main title contenders very much focused on this season, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect McLaren to leapfrog Red Bull. It's really hard to say with Mercedes though who seemed to come through the last regulation change even stronger, whereas teams like Red Bull slipped back and then had to regain the lost ground. Ferrari could also spring a bit of a surprise, although I don't think enough has fundamentally changed in the team to make that possible and they haven't really made it work for a while now.

If I was going to put some bets down for 2022 I would probably bet on McLaren being contenders alongside Mercedes. Sadly, Mercedes could have the edge being a works team, but who knows? My rough guess is something like:
  1. Merc
  2. McLaren
  3. Ferrari
  4. Aston Martin
  5. Alpine
  6. Red Bull
  7. AT
  8. Williams
  9. Alpha
  10. Haas

Sorry guys, but I see a Ferrari revival next year and Mclaren will have to do well to get third.
No, I am not a Ferrari fan, but I think they were somewhat hampered my a 'secret' penance for the engine irregularity this year, and the way things were shaping up the end of this season it looks to be a short term leash and they are getting ready for a flyer as they did not give priority to last year.
I also do not see Red Bull so far off the pace and have no idea where AM and Alpine will be but expect a hard fight between Mclaren and the three of them, possibly AT as well.

But the way my predictions usually go it will be a Mclaren scrap with Williams for the title and Merc and Ferrari mid field :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ferrarifire
ferrarifire

I see McLaren behind Alpine next year and the engine manufacturers will have some advantage

Below could be the pecking order ,

Mercedes/Redbull
Ferrari
Alpine
McLaren
AT
Aston Martin/AR
Williams
Haas

Xero

Quite a remarkable stat, and a very satisfying one at that!

The team has been making great progression over the past 3 seasons, but that momentum going into next year will be different. It's now pressure to deliver a competitive car in a new formula from day one. The personnel is in place, operationally working well, and that 1-2 has been a fantastic reward for those efforts. But the team need to hit ground running, and the scope of changes going into next year has me both excited and nervous. Prepare for all possibilities folks!

_cerber1

It is necessary to remember the words of Seidl and Brown, that even taking into account the changes in the regulations, they still do not count on the fact that McLaren can be on an equal footing with MB and RB, but they hope that they can become even closer to them. So, I'll be happy if we keep the status of 3-4 teams in the peloton.

Emag
Emag

Not sure if already shared here, but this was a nice article from amus:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... eues-auto/

mclaren111

Could easily have been 300+

Nobody thought that at the start of the year...

Emag
Emag

mclaren111 wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 12:20
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FG9cE6BXoAQ ... name=small

Could easily have been 300+

Nobody thought that at the start of the year...
300+ is what we deserved to be honest. We had quite a bit of bad luck this season but in spite of that, this was easily the best year since 2012.

Lucky
Lucky