2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
wogx

Re: 2022 Aero Thread

Those swooshy RW's - are these aero-effective in their current (showcar) form? Is there a chance, that we will see more "flat" surfaces there during 22' season?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

jjn9128

wogx wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 04:30
Those swooshy RW's - are these aero-effective in their current (showcar) form? Is there a chance, that we will see more "flat" surfaces there during 22' season?
The show cars are based on FOMs working models so they're effective - teams will produce more downforce though.

As for the spoony rear wing... the tip has to come quite high to hide some surface for the endplate.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

godlameroso

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
01 Jan 2022, 19:43
For the noses next year, are teams still allowed to have a sharp change in the width of the nose, similar to what Mercedes have had for a while or has that been closed off in these regulations?
You can have an 'eagle' beak type nose. What they can't do is put any sort of winglets on the nose because they prescribe no concave surfaces.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

jjn9128 wrote:
01 Jan 2022, 21:59
aleks_ader wrote:
01 Jan 2022, 20:51
Hoffman900 wrote:
01 Jan 2022, 20:49
Who did the design of the FOM cars?

There seems to be at least some thought put into them.
Tombazis aero group with Symonds.
Tombazis is FIA. Symonds group is FOM, Jason Somerville led the aero design group under Symonds.

The FOM technical Hierarchy is:
1) Brawn
2) Symonds
3) Somerville (aero), Wilson (vehicle performance)
4) 3/4 aeros and surfacers + a couple of suspension and gearbox engineers

FOM created the car(s) and hand that off to Tombazis and the FIA who then drafted the rules with the teams. There was some crossover with the FIA and FOM but that's how it worked.
And all of them are out. Curious.
Saishū kōnā

Zynerji

I'm surprised that we haven't talked about the real elephant in the aerodynamic design room...

Machine learning, iterative design software that "explores" everything legal within the minimum and maximum dimensions.

I wish the teams shared more about this stuff.

Stu

Zynerji wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 19:18
I'm surprised that we haven't talked about the real elephant in the aerodynamic design room...

Machine learning, iterative design software that "explores" everything legal within the minimum and maximum dimensions.

They are doing it to an extent (and that is controlled by the wind tunnel/CFD usage regulations. It is only a matter of time before limits are put on general data usage in other areas (simulation, FEA - also very effective used iteratively - and during race weekends)
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

godlameroso

Stu wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 21:52
Zynerji wrote:

They are doing it to an extent (and that is controlled by the wind tunnel/CFD usage regulations. It is only a matter of time before limits are put on general data usage in other areas (simulation, FEA - also very effective used iteratively - and during race weekends)
They already had the right idea back in 2018's outwashing front wing. The move to curved diffuser from the boxy designs of 2017-2018 vintage shows that geometry works. IIRC Haas was the first team to try the curved diffuser.

To quote a user here..."ellipses everywhere".
Saishū kōnā

Zynerji

Stu wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 21:52
Zynerji wrote:

CFD is controlled by TFLOPS. That can be sidestepped by analog co-processors that are much, much faster at the Navier Stokes computations.

https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/penn-e ... -equations

That with a ML algorithm that iterates continuously after being trained on Petabytes of previous data can churn out some stunning things for the current limitations on computer hardware.

mzso
mzso

Zynerji wrote:

I think what you're thinking of are called evolutionary algorithms. But they certainly don't explore "everything", because that's impossible, it would be practically infinite.

Zynerji

mzso wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 14:05
Zynerji wrote:

I think what you're thinking of are called evolutionary algorithms. But they certainly don't explore "everything", because that's impossible, it would be practically infinite.
By definition. Having a minimum and a maximum sets boundaries that are finite.

Just because the number is big does not mean that it goes on forever.

With enough computation, just reducing the possible upgrade paths is worth its weight in gold.

BorisTheBlade

Zynerji wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 19:58
By which definition? You do realise that even between the borders of 0 and 1 there is an infinite amount of values in-between?

Zynerji

BorisTheBlade wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 20:31
Zynerji wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 19:58
By which definition? You do realise that even between the borders of 0 and 1 there is an infinite amount of values in-between?
Changing the ruler doesn't mean the object changes with your description. It still is limited by real constraints. Digital to Analog nit-picking aside.

godlameroso

More importantly, the tunnels aren't straight, there will be compression waves when airflow encounters a concave surface, and there will be expansion waves when air travels on a convex surface. Compression waves slow down air and increase drag, while expansion waves speed up air and slightly decrease drag locally. The geometry to optimize these phenomena will require many studies and iterations. I don't think machine learning will be that valuable until the meat sacks get some learnin' done.

Yes there will be sonic flow and choking effects, exploiting that will be key to getting the most performance from the floor.

A venturi tunnel speeds up air, if the car is going 33 meters per second, the local speed at the venturi tunnel can be as high as 100 m/s 50% increase in speed, and you're somewhere in the sonic regime ballpark, ie choked flow. The only way to increase mass flow at this point is to increase the pressure of the inlet, or air temperature, as ambient temperature affects the Mach number of air. If you achieve choked flow, the pressure downstream will drop like a neutron hammer. The airflow is literally choked at the inlet, like sand grains passing through an hourglass. Such a sharp pressure reduction will summon any surrounding air to fill that "void".
Saishū kōnā

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

godlameroso wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 01:59
More importantly, the tunnels aren't straight, there will be compression waves when airflow encounters a concave surface, and there will be expansion waves when air travels on a convex surface. Compression waves slow down air and increase drag, while expansion waves speed up air and slightly decrease drag locally. The geometry to optimize these phenomena will require many studies and iterations. I don't think machine learning will be that valuable until the meat sacks get some learnin' done.

Yes there will be sonic flow and choking effects, exploiting that will be key to getting the most performance from the floor.

A venturi tunnel speeds up air, if the car is going 33 meters per second, the local speed at the venturi tunnel can be as high as 100 m/s 50% increase in speed, and you're somewhere in the sonic regime ballpark, ie choked flow. The only way to increase mass flow at this point is to increase the pressure of the inlet, or air temperature, as ambient temperature affects the Mach number of air. If you achieve choked flow, the pressure downstream will drop like a neutron hammer. The airflow is literally choked at the inlet, like sand grains passing through an hourglass. Such a sharp pressure reduction will summon any surrounding air to fill that "void".
Do you have any data to suggest that the venturi's can come anywhere near choke flow?

wogx

Would the incorporation of e.g. heat pipes in the top surface of Venturi tunnels have any positive effect on the air flow? Would it be legal?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.