Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

Looking straight down from above, you notice how little "coke bottle" shape the thing has.

It's interesting as on the one hand you don't want any bodywork at the back for diffuser purposes, but then you want the flanks big for the underbody downforce in that area. So you have to have a balance.

I will be interested to see how other cars handle that dichotomy.

These cars conceptually have taken us back to around 1980, 1981...which is kind of weird.

And damn...they are still such huge, heavy pigs!

jjn9128

BassVirolla wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:32
jjn9128 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:20
The venturi looks like it's doing this... or am i seeing things?!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLP33lMWUAM ... name=large
The two "kinks" could serve to energize the flow to prevent stalling of the diffusser and keep the flow attached while working the floor harder than possible without the kinks? :wtf:
I was thinking it's to put the diffuser low pressure zone further forward to offset the lower front wing downforce from the higher wing centre
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:13
It still looks strange to only have one tail pipe. Like something missing
Nope the wastegate no longer needs to exit at the rear of the car. It can join the main exhaust pipe <450mm from the outlet.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Stu

the EDGE wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:35
Stu wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:09
Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:59

The hinge design is also obviously designed to shed a vortex with that nice big triangle of metal sticking up in to the airflow at a slight angle to the stream.
There also doesn’t seem to be an outer part of the hinge, are they using the remaining outer section as a very big flexure hinge?
Are you not really reading to much into a render of a FW? I mean, only one side of the car has a pushrod

It’s great to finally see a proper impression of a 22 car, but the detail will be vastly different on track, including having proper cooling outlets, suitable for the ambient temperature conditions on that day

Looking forward to see how other teams have handled the sidepod designs before they all converge on the same idea again. It will be interesting to see who’s got the overall airflow philosophy correct
I’m not really sure why they did the launch with renders (really bad ones, at that) and a real car, there is quite a bit of detail on the real car.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

siskue2005

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:45
Big Tea wrote:
Nope the wastegate no longer needs to exit at the rear of the car. It can join the main exhaust pipe <450mm from the outlet.
The reason for separation of them was to increase the car engine volume isnt it? Why now they are going back to single pipe?

wowgr8
wowgr8

javalinex wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 17:27
https://cdn-7.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ules-1.jpg
However, cars with long, narrow bellies will seek to mount the engine further back, and may have a short gearbox, and perhaps mount a push rod suspension. By contrast, F1 cars with short bellies will have the engine closer to the driver and will need a long gearbox. In that configuration there could be a pull-rod suspension.

The location of the radiators will also vary greatly depending on the chosen layout: there will be those who keep the elements of the cooling system above the engine (Alpine?) and those who try to place them on the sides.
https://i.gyazo.com/6502c7836034432e273 ... 05b7a6.png
What a scoop from Nugnes. I noticed too how far back the hump for the plenum was, they've pushed the ICE way back, so what's in all that space between the back of the cockpit and the engine?

jjn9128

siskue2005 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:57
jjn9128 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
The reason for separation of them was to increase the car engine volume isnt it? Why now they are going back to single pipe?
I think they worked out it didn't help.
#aerogandalf

Zynerji

@jjn

Concerning the outside endplate dive plane.

Is therea rule that prevents that from being lowered and becoming a de-facto footplate?

Holm86

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:58
siskue2005 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:57
jjn9128 wrote:

I think they worked out it didn't help.
I hope it doesn't decrease the sound, but I personally like this look more.
The waste gate pipes looked so weird

jjn9128

Zynerji wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:59
@jjn

Concerning the outside endplate dive plane.

Is therea rule that prevents that from being lowered and becoming a de-facto footplate?
The minimum height is z200 and the rear of it has to be at least 75mm above the front edge
#aerogandalf

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Stu wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:27
Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:22
Stu wrote:

There also doesn’t seem to be an outer part of the hinge, are they using the remaining outer section as a very big flexure hinge?
There's something visible in this image at the far end of the front wing. Another little metal triangle. I'm guessing that it is the location of a hinge point.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLPsB_XVkAg ... name=large
Certainly looks like it.
It would also appear that both elements (3 & 4) adjust.
I'm not seeing that. :oops:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

the EDGE wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:35
Stu wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 18:59

The hinge design is also obviously designed to shed a vortex with that nice big triangle of metal sticking up in to the airflow at a slight angle to the stream.
Are you not really reading to much into a render of a FW? I mean, only one side of the car has a pushrod

It’s great to finally see a proper impression of a 22 car, but the detail will be vastly different on track, including having proper cooling outlets, suitable for the ambient temperature conditions on that day

Looking forward to see how other teams have handled the sidepod designs before they all converge on the same idea again. It will be interesting to see who’s got the overall airflow philosophy correct
You do realise there are photos of a real car too, right? They show both push rods...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Ringleheim wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:39
Looking straight down from above, you notice how little "coke bottle" shape the thing has.

It's interesting as on the one hand you don't want any bodywork at the back for diffuser purposes, but then you want the flanks big for the underbody downforce in that area. So you have to have a balance.

I will be interested to see how other cars handle that dichotomy.

These cars conceptually have taken us back to around 1980, 1981...which is kind of weird.

And damn...they are still such huge, heavy pigs!
Front directly above, yes there is little coke bottle. But from the front 3/4 view, you see a big under cut for the length of the sidepod. The coke bottle is just hidden from above.

Blackout

PlatinumZealot

siskue2005 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 19:59

cooling louvers have to sit inside this box - again AM look to have maximized the area they can use
Perhaps maximimizing the cooling openings with the gills has a stronger benefit than having the teardrop shaped side pods with cooling tunneled all the way to the back.

In other words, the Aston side-pods could be shaped the way it is, undercut and all, to get as much side-pod surface as possible into that bounding box so that they can maximise the number of cooling gills. The assumed result being that drag is much reduced and sidepod lift is much reduced.

Again, this hypothesis is only valid IF having the gills is really that much better than facing that drag from tunneling the cooling all the way to back.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏