Haas VF-22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1doc
F1doc

Re: Haas VF-22

LM10 wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 18:47
Several cars, namely Ferrari, Haas, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Alpine and Alpha Tauri from what we've seen until now have decided to build wide and long sidepods - some more extreme than others. Or let's say wider and longer sidepods than in the past. Similar to what I've written above, my argument is that the PUs didn't change. So what made the teams choose their route? Have those which managed to build slim cars up until last year suddenly forgotten how to package or was it rather a conceptual decision?
The armchair aerodynamacist in me thinks the extra width is there to help manage the front tyre wake after the outlawing of complex bargeboards.

PlatinumZealot

The side-pods will get tighter as they develop I am sure. Reliability will be a critical factor in the first six races.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JPower
JPower

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 19:46
The side-pods will get tighter as they develop I am sure. Reliability will be a critical factor in the first six races.
Why? I don't think they are wide for cooling purposes.

Zynerji

F1doc wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 18:56
LM10 wrote:
Several cars, namely Ferrari, Haas, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Alpine and Alpha Tauri from what we've seen until now have decided to build wide and long sidepods - some more extreme than others. Or let's say wider and longer sidepods than in the past. Similar to what I've written above, my argument is that the PUs didn't change. So what made the teams choose their route? Have those which managed to build slim cars up until last year suddenly forgotten how to package or was it rather a conceptual decision?
The armchair aerodynamacist in me thinks the extra width is there to help manage the front tyre wake after the outlawing of complex bargeboards.
Current regs seem to favor a Manta Ray-esque shape... It's going to be very interesting to see where they go from launch spec!

AeroDynamic

Lil bit of Haas onboard footage

PlatinumZealot

JPower wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 20:03
PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 19:46
Why? I don't think they are wide for cooling purposes.
For me.. I am looking at the cooling, the packaging complexity, and the flow around the Power unit. Big, fat side-pods make these things easier to manage.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

basti313
basti313

LM10 wrote:
basti313 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 19:03
Well, from from the vents on top of the sidepod the air goes directly into the region I mentioned. They structure the sidepod in a way to aim for the gap ​under the rear wing.
This air needs to be guided, so they need to structure the sidepod for this. This is big compromise.
Just compare the Merc without these vents at all and the Ferrari, Haas, Aston, etc...that go with vents. On the Merc the air is going to the diffusor with a very slim bodywork. All rear axle is used for aero. On the cars with the top sidepod vents the bodywork extends bulky to the upper wishbone.
It's a question of concepts I'd say. I would not bet everything on the suggestion that having a slim bodywork is the only or best way to victory. The reason I say this is because the PUs and their cooling requirements didn't change - to the contrary, if any, they only got better. Aston Martin had a really slim bodywork last year, but come this year they have long and wide sidepods. Why?

basti313 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 19:03
Because they have to direct the air through the body work. If you open up, you need to open up all the way. For Aston with the flat and long sidepod they would need a crazy tubing to get the air efficiently back to the middle. In this case you better put the hot air out early...I guess it is similar for Haas. They either need a too big cover or the slits...and hot air is still better than no air on the rear wing.
I do not know exactly what you mean...sorry...
Nearly every team so far used the maximum room for the side pod in the front, Aston has this strange shape by following exactly the rule box.
On the backside they are either getting the stuff simply in the pod and/or are managing the air flow to the rear.

In terms of concept we also have to see that some cars are designed to drive in the front (Merc, maybe RB) and others are designed for racing. Merc with his slim design certainly goes for managing the temps a lot and max performance for a Q lap. Haas has rather to look for max performance during many laps in the race in dirty air. So there is not only a difference in aero concept, but also in cooling concept...there is not only one concept...

We also need to see the engine concept. Haas with Ferrari presumably have the classical turbo at the front without much cooling behind but the hot air really in the front. This may be the reason why they get rid of the hot air at the top on a short way. For other teams with split turbo the engine uses only very little air cooling at the front, the hot side of the turbo is in the back, so they do not need to guide the air that far.
Don`t russel the hamster!

AeroDynamic

drs

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 24 Feb 2022, 12:28, edited 3 times in total.

wogx

HAAS lost something today :roll:
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

billamend
billamend

Mazepin essentially saying that they're having correlation problems.

MtthsMlw

Spring/damper on the bib?
via AMuS

Jolle
Jolle

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 12:28
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 876066.jpg
via AMuS
I saw a spring loaded bib at Alpine earlier. Could this be driver safety? I presume if this is rigid and you hit a curb, you break your back.

AeroDynamic

#AMuS
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 24 Feb 2022, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

bosyber
bosyber

MtthsMlw wrote:
via AMuS
The AMuS subscript said it was yeah.

"Nach dem ersten Run wurde der Dämpfer unter dem Unterboden gescheckt" - 'After the first run [by Schumacher, yesterday morning], the damper under the bottom was checked'

Did the rules change to disallow the clever carbon springy 'stay' many teams had before?

frosty125
frosty125

MtthsMlw wrote:
via AMuS
If this is linked to the suspension then it's probably something they bought from Ferrari and is probably on the Ferrari as well. Might be why Haas are struggling with setup.