McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RZS10

Re: McLaren MCL36

should do until there's proper pics

organic

Looks interesting!
Last edited by organic on 20 May 2022, 14:51, edited 2 times in total.

mwillems

The widest part of the sidepod appears further back now, but is it slimmer at its widest point than before?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

diffuser wrote:
07 May 2022, 18:57
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
07 May 2022, 10:36
Still think these air to air rads in the side pod are unnecessarily large. They clearly are happy with the trade off and perhaps having too large an area of the floor unsupported increases risk of porpoising. But it strikes me they can increase/energise the flow towards the beam wing/coke bottle area by having a different rad/packaging to improve the sculpting of the side pod towards the back of the rad
No sure what relevance that has, since the team with biggest sidepods destroys everybody else. The only team that has come close to them is RBR and there sidepods are still HUGE in comparison to McLaren.
Seems they have started sculpting the back end of the sidepod to improve the flow towards the beam wing/coke bottle area

f1rules
f1rules

seem a bit interim between their own and rb, ren etc. They have more of a ramp to help guide the air down the sidepod and the air going around the sidepod is now guided by a tunnel, before it was just one big "open" area like merc. And looking at both rb, renault, ferrari etc, theyre all using the sidepod to guide the air, so seem the right way forward

@AlbertFabrega
Last edited by f1rules on 20 May 2022, 15:37, edited 3 times in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

RZS10 wrote:
20 May 2022, 14:38
https://i.imgur.com/R1xk1KC.png
should do until there's proper pics
Thanks!

_cerber1

I like the new form better, I hope it is just as effective.

JordanMugen

f1rules wrote:
20 May 2022, 14:49
seem a bit interim between their own and rb, ren etc. They have more of a ramp to help guide the air down the sidepod and the air going around the sidepod is now guided by a tunnel, before it was just one big "open" area like merc. And looking at both rb, renault, ferrari etc, theyre all using the sidepod to guide the air, so seem the right way forward

@AlbertFabrega
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTM8ew8XoAI ... ame=medium
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... lea-1.webp
Nice little tweak! =D> I thought it looked different on TV.

f1rules
f1rules

4th in sec3, could have been worse i quess

f1rules
f1rules

diffuser

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
20 May 2022, 14:48
diffuser wrote:
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
07 May 2022, 10:36
Still think these air to air rads in the side pod are unnecessarily large. They clearly are happy with the trade off and perhaps having too large an area of the floor unsupported increases risk of porpoising. But it strikes me they can increase/energise the flow towards the beam wing/coke bottle area by having a different rad/packaging to improve the sculpting of the side pod towards the back of the rad
No sure what relevance that has, since the team with biggest sidepods destroys everybody else. The only team that has come close to them is RBR and there sidepods are still HUGE in comparison to McLaren.
Seems they have started sculpting the back end of the sidepod to improve the flow towards the beam wing/coke bottle area
From what I've read, the problem with the narrow bod or a design with a large exposed floor is porposing. You can't keep the floor from flexing and being sucked down too low in certain areas and stalling. While with large sidepods you can have as many stays under the sidepods as you need.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
20 May 2022, 20:20
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
diffuser wrote:

From what I've read, the problem with the narrow bod or a design with a large exposed floor is porposing. You can't keep the floor from flexing and being sucked down too low in certain areas and stalling. While with large sidepods you can have as many stays under the sidepods as you need.
McLaren wasn’t really suffering from Porpoising from with a narrow sidepods… The larger (wider) sidepods seem to help with front tire wake management and reduce drag generated by the rear tires

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
20 May 2022, 21:30
diffuser wrote:
20 May 2022, 20:20
101FlyingDutchman wrote:

McLaren wasn’t really suffering from Porpoising from with a narrow sidepods… The larger (wider) sidepods seem to help with front tire wake management and reduce drag generated by the rear tires
Well, there is that. The wider sidepods get used to control the airflow to the rear.

We're they not having porpoising cause their ride height was higher that it should have been and sacrificing DF? That is the questions.

jagunx51

............!!!!

mclaren111

Not huge differences...