2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Ok that is a little more interesting. The Bone I was saying. Let's hope for the whole Steak in Qualifying.

Swed3120
Swed3120

mwillems wrote:
21 May 2022, 13:55
billamend wrote:
21 May 2022, 12:44
I wonder if they took the opportunity to change the engines.
Same here , as far as I’m aware they didn’t but I can’t be sure

Swed3120
Swed3120

Darth-Piekus wrote:
21 May 2022, 14:03
Ok that is a little more interesting. The Bone I was saying. Let's hope for the whole Steak in Qualifying.
You really need to temper your expectations, what are you expecting? Being top 3?, that’s a bit of a Stretch,
We’ve gone from being close to a second of P1 to being 6 tenths of P1, 0.4sec improvement is nothing to scof at

Emag
Emag

Swed3120 wrote:
21 May 2022, 14:05
Darth-Piekus wrote:
You really need to temper your expectations, what are you expecting? Being top 3?, that’s a bit of a Stretch,
We’ve gone from being close to a second of P1 to being 6 tenths of P1, 0.4sec improvement is nothing to scof at
If FP3 order is representative (and it probably isn't), then it's actually closer than 6 tenths off P1 on a cleaner lap. At least for Lando.

He had a bit of an oversteer moment in the last sector which looked like it could cost a good tenth or two.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Swed3120 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
21 May 2022, 13:55
billamend wrote:
21 May 2022, 12:44
I wonder if they took the opportunity to change the engines.
Same here , as far as I’m aware they didn’t but I can’t be sure
Can’t see anything from the FIA about it. And hasn’t been mentioned on teamstream so presumably they haven’t.

Good to see the pace is there. Still missing a little ultimate load in the med/high speed corners (lifting through 9, where Mercedes was flat and washing out a tad in turn 12)
But seems like the update should lift us back to the front of the midfield. Definitely closed the gap a tad to the front runners

Darth-Piekus

That is true. There is an improvement. I now hope that the team can probably squeeze some more time from the car to be closer. Norris definately must have lost a tenth or two as he had that slip up there.

_cerber1

3 sector down

billamend
billamend

Which is where Norris lost a lot of time with a small scare. I assume there is ~2 tenths there to be gained.

mwillems

Shame to see us remaining slow in sector 3 :D
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

CjC
CjC

Need to get this sorted.
It’s been a weakness for years now in the slow speed sector 3 and to see the Alfa potentially ahead is not what we want to see
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

On a somewhat unrelated note, with Copy Point (Aston) running with a replica of RedBull's sidepods here sort of proves how little the sidepod shape has to do with the ultimate pace of the car if the base platform is weak mechanically.

Of course, the little details is what gets you the last half a second or so you need to challenge for the title. But when your car is super slow, a better sidepod configuration isn't going to magically pull you to the front. I say this because a lot of people here on the forums were heavily blaming McLaren's sidepod design after Bahrain thinking (wrongly) that their lack of pace was hugely caused because they hadn't gone for a wide sidepod configuration like RedBull and Ferrari.

Aston is living proof that unless your car has a strong foundation, no matter how good the bodywork aero is, it will not make you a front-runner.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Emag wrote:
21 May 2022, 14:52
On a somewhat unrelated note, with Copy Point (Aston) running with a replica of RedBull's sidepods here sort of proves how little the sidepod shape has to do with the ultimate pace of the car if the base platform is weak mechanically.

Of course, the little details is what gets you the last half a second or so you need to challenge for the title. But when your car is super slow, a better sidepod configuration isn't going to magically pull you to the front. I say this because a lot of people here on the forums were heavily blaming McLaren's sidepod design after Bahrain thinking (wrongly) that their lack of pace was hugely caused because they hadn't gone for a wide sidepod configuration like RedBull and Ferrari.

Aston is living proof that unless your car has a strong foundation, no matter how good the bodywork aero is, it will not make you a front-runner.
Oh absolutely. The DF contribution dominantly is by the underbody of the car. If anything the front wing is to balance that CofP + the aero flow further down wing is to condition and reduce wake messing with the clean flow. If the underbody suffers from stagnation/choke/turbulent flow, you lose far more time then you do by tinkering with side pods.

We know the underside is producing good df. It’s now to find that last 0.5-0.7s which is the REALLY hard part

mclaren111

Emag wrote:
21 May 2022, 14:52

Spot On...

PhillipM
PhillipM

To be honest there's time in just the setup work again now, the front brakes being back to the original concept means the work they did for front tyre heating the previous few GPs doesn't work the same any more

MrGapes

PhillipM wrote:
21 May 2022, 15:42
To be honest there's time in just the setup work again now, the front brakes being back to the original concept means the work they did for front tyre heating the previous few GPs doesn't work the same any more
exactly what I was thinking, three practice sessions (Lando lost time yesterday as well) isn't enough to optimize a car with major fundamental changes