Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Mercedes W13

via @NicolasF1i

Stu

I wonder what the purpose of the thin wire TIG welded to each feature is for? Initially I thought it may be for rule compliance, but there is a break visible.
Maybe it is some form of structure to make sure all parts are bonded in the correct orientation?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Stu

MtthsMlw wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 14:55
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FXOeF_XWYAA ... ame=medium
via @NicolasF1i
Good spot!
Interesting comparison of the split location as compared with the RB & Ferrari.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Big Tea

Stu wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 15:10
I wonder what the purpose of the thin wire TIG welded to each feature is for? Initially I thought it may be for rule compliance, but there is a break visible.
Maybe it is some form of structure to make sure all parts are bonded in the correct orientation?
Could it work as the bimetallic strip and 'flick' the shirt up when it expands/contracts? Dont know how this could be reliably triggerd though
Last edited by Big Tea on 09 Jul 2022, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

chrisc90

Stu wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 15:10
Looks like it’s brazed on so probably relatively easy to remove.

I wonder if there’s some sort of spacing/distance requirements for that region of floor or radius of parts and they using a length of rod to ensure they are spaced exactly.

Re the plank… if you can’t beat them - join them. Guess Merc are using the loophole aswell now - at least up until Belgium

AR3-GP

As with most odd looking "connecting things" the wire is probably a legality trick.

PlatinumZealot

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 11:52
That’ll be the new floor for the new chassis I guess?
I think its the same old floor with parts glued onto it.

For the example the lateral bump near the middle is not a true flick, and likely does not work as well as redbull's ridges, but you can see it was a simple matter of glueing it on to achieve the effect without making a new mould.

Imo merc essentially cut of the upper sector of the ellipse shape of the old floor, and glued in a flatter peice and added the lateral bump. The epoxy patches at the joints (or whatever material) are very visible.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 09 Jul 2022, 15:53, edited 2 times in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sevach

Stu wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 15:11
MtthsMlw wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 14:55
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FXOeF_XWYAA ... ame=medium
via @NicolasF1i
Good spot!
Interesting comparison of the split location as compared with the RB & Ferrari.
Pure guesswork, but the RB could be better for a slight raked setup where the front of the plank is the part more often touching the ground, while the Merc is the opposite.

RZS10

Looking at this (unfortunately not perfectly scaled) comparison it is possible that they did not add those bulges etc but that they are a result of widening the tunnels and wrapping the floor around internal components.

This is an attempt to visualize it, i drew those lines on the bottom one and then copied the layers to upper one and distorted them to the best of my ability so they fit a few key points ... the end of the edge top right, kinda the same point bottom left where the boat section ends, end of innermost strake top middle, edge of the plank and the line on the right is parallel to the edge of the diffuser

murphy

Henri wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 05:07
GrizzleBoy wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 00:21
I'd say consistent setting of purple sectors and topping quali sessions after being down 1s per lap at some points is some serious progress imo.

Pushing for the win just a week before is very encouraging too.

Id say theyve done the long distance improvements already, it's just the finer details in the last stretch of road they need to cover imo.
I feel they are getting close to unlocking the car's potential.. the car is very competitive in straight line speed now with ferrari and red bull
Which quali session did they top and what race win were they challenging for?

Stu

RZS10 wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 16:10
Looking at this (unfortunately not perfectly scaled) comparison it is possible that they did not add those bulges etc but that they are a result of widening the tunnels and wrapping the floor around internal components.

https://i.imgur.com/y7nlmyH.png

This is an attempt to visualize it, i drew those lines on the bottom one and then copied the layers to upper one and distorted them to the best of my ability so they fit a few key points ... the end of the edge top right, kinda the same point bottom left where the boat section ends, end of innermost strake top middle, edge of the plank and the line on the right is parallel to the edge of the diffuser

https://i.imgur.com/aWFy1HG.png
That is a significant increase in tunnel volume, this should reduce sensitivity to ride-height and reduce porpoising. If Ferrari are not careful they will become the third team.
I do think that the Merc suspension is the big performance restriction now; more travel would be a real benefit.

IGOSNELL

Both Lewis and George went of mid corner. This Car still has problems. Far from ove his nighmare. Was this due to mechanical grip or a loss in the ground affect?

101FlyingDutchman

IGOSNELL wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 08:51
Both Lewis and George went of mid corner. This Car still has problems. Far from ove his nighmare. Was this due to mechanical grip or a loss in the ground affect?
Did you watch anything? It really was just a case of pushing the car just a bit too hard and the rear couldn’t handle that sort of cornering speeds. The car is there or thereabouts on certain tracks/corners. Perhaps even the best in certain scenarios

Mchamilton

RZS10 wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 16:10

https://i.imgur.com/y7nlmyH.png

https://i.imgur.com/aWFy1HG.png
So all these comments of "still no new floor" every race can now stop, helps for people not to comment about what they can't see

mantikos

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 03:31
Still the simple almond shaped floor. No new floor yet.
No no, its the RBR floor, what are you talking about? /s