2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

And now we go to Japan and Suzuka which would suit the car.

haza
haza

How did Danny end up 31 seconds behind lando

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Yeah that was some result!

I’m buoyed by what I saw race pace wise. Not sure if the downforce is the most efficient yet but at least we are out of a blind alley concept wise. Now time to push on and take this into ‘23

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Great race for the Team… P4 and P5… That’s why you don’t count your chickens before they hatch.

In a weekend where everything indicated that it was going to be a struggle, the Team had one of their best races… Beyond the positions, a couple of things to note:

A) Lando’s pace against Carlos was indicative an important step forward for the Team… Yes, Carlos struggled more than Charles, but in a tricky circuit against a car that had pace for pole, to match them for the majority of the race (because Lando was also matching his lap times while on Inters).

B) The performance of the update, considering it was just introduced this week, is encouraging… Hopefully there is a bit more in there through optimization and additional pace if they get in the in the sweet spot.

C) Alpine brought a much advertised upgraded floor to Singapore and based on previous races, it was expected for them to be miles ahead the road (even from Formula 1 race pace and qualifying pace analysis)… But during the race, Lando was always faster than Alonso, pulling consistently at 0,4 second per lap on average

D) Good job from Daniel to bring the car home, his pace versus Stroll was also a good sign… He did finished 30 seconds behind Lando, but not surprising if one considers that he was saving the Softs tires, he was on the “old” package and the normal gap we have seeing to Lando.

E) Great call from the Team to go as long as possible, beyond been lucky with the Safety Car, the outlap on the Mediums was horrible (Leclerc lost 10 seconds to Perez by pitting a lap earlier) than him for example)… Nothing to complain from the Strategy Team (and decent job by the Pit Stop crew also).

Mansell89
Mansell89

Great results for the team today.

A glimmer of hope that the new package may open up development avenues.

Lando had an excellent weekend, congratulations to him. Held it together in quali and drove a solid race.

Danny Ricc I’m made up for- he deserved some good fortune and drove a solid race with patience and accuracy.

What a points haul.

geogate
geogate

Obviously a very good result, but i wouldnt read too much into relative pace given the whole race on a damp track. The result will give everyone a perk though and Im sure a lot of data collected

Macklaren
Macklaren

Great result. For those not on team radio, Lando was aggressively managing a reliability issue pretty much for the last 25 mins. Very relieved to see him bring it home though I think he could have got SAI for P3 without that

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 17:22
Great race for the Team… P4 and P5… That’s why you don’t count your chickens before they hatch.

In a weekend where everything indicated that it was going to be a struggle, the Team had one of their best races… Beyond the positions, a couple of things to note:

A) Lando’s pace against Carlos was indicative an important step forward for the Team… Yes, Carlos struggled more than Charles, but in a tricky circuit against a car that had pace for pole, to match them for the majority of the race (because Lando was also matching his lap times while on Inters).

B) The performance of the update, considering it was just introduced this week, is encouraging… Hopefully there is a bit more in there through optimization and additional pace if they get in the in the sweet spot.

C) Alpine brought a much advertised upgraded floor to Singapore and based on previous races, it was expected for them to be miles ahead the road (even from Formula 1 race pace and qualifying pace analysis)… But during the race, Lando was always faster than Alonso, pulling consistently at 0,4 second per lap on average

D) Good job from Daniel to bring the car home, his pace versus Stroll was also a good sign… He did finished 30 seconds behind Lando, but not surprising if one considers that he was saving the Softs tires, he was on the “old” package and the normal gap we have seeing to Lando.

E) Great call from the Team to go as long as possible, beyond been lucky with the Safety Car, the outlap on the Mediums was horrible (Leclerc lost 10 seconds to Perez by pitting a lap earlier) than him for example)… Nothing to complain from the Strategy Team (and decent job by the Pit Stop crew also).
You can't read alot into the result of that race. 90% of the passing attempts by cars on cars with less than 1 second pace difference ended in tears. It is very hard to pass there, doubly so when it's wet and the track is drying.

You didn't mention that Norris was 6 tenths off of Alonso in quali.

Obviously though, if Alpine don't finish any more races this year, how fast or slow McLaren is doesn't really matter.

mwillems

Mansell89 wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 17:31
Great results for the team today.

A glimmer of hope that the new package may open up development avenues.

Lando had an excellent weekend, congratulations to him. Held it together in quali and drove a solid race.

Danny Ricc I’m made up for- he deserved some good fortune and drove a solid race with patience and accuracy.

What a points haul.
I don't think it is a glimmer of hope of development opportunities that was this design pivots purpose, to open up development paths. I'm not sure we will see much more this year, development wise, I suspect the main benefit is the on track learning of this package and how it works so that we can enhance its development it for next year, though it does appear to be faster.

It look like Lando just understood the car in Q2 and kept the pace going forward, so if he understands how to drive it better I'm going to assume he knows how to set it up better and we can still unlock some time in Japan.

I'm still curious about this car though as Lando did say that the new design has some new characteristics that he doesn't like. Given that it already had some traits he didn't like, this seems like a very unlikeable car right now!
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Great result. Obviously helped by the safety car, but staying out longer wasn't the wrong call anyway. As it was taking laps to warm up the slicks.

If the new car is at its base level, its good to see its similar to the previous model and with more to improve over time.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

You can't read alot into the result of that race. 90% of the passing attempts by cars on cars with less than 1 second pace difference ended in tears. It is very hard to pass there, doubly so when it's wet and the track is drying.

Obviously though, if Alpine don't finish any more races this year, how fast or slow McLaren is doesn't really matter.
In regards to Alonso and Norris:

Alonso was definitely faster in Qualifying, but yesterday was more about driver confidence than car pace (of course there is a relationship between them, but Alonso did Alonso things and had an amazing lap… He was consistently on great pace and that brings confidence

Nevertheless, from a Race Pace perspective, it wasn’t a matter of Alonso not been able to overtake Norris, it was simply pace differential between the cars.

That’s why I mention that it isn’t about the P4-P5, but most importantly about race pace… Which was up there and way faster than the rest of the midfield (AT, AM, AR)… And of course Alpine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 17:54
diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Alonso was definitely faster in Qualifying, but yesterday was more about driver confidence than car pace (of course there is a relationship between them, but Alonso did Alonso things and had an amazing lap… He was consistently on great pace and that brings confidence

Nevertheless, from a Race Pace perspective, it wasn’t a matter of Alonso not been able to overtake Norris, it was simply pace differential between the cars.

That’s why I mention that it isn’t about the P4-P5, but most importantly about race pace… Which was up there and way faster than the rest of the midfield (AT, AM, AR)… And of course Alpine

Alonso doesn't hustle for nothing. He knew the race was gonna be long and the only guy he really needed to pass was Norris. He didn't need to stay that close behind him, every race at Singapour has had atleast 1 safety car. He was biding his time trying to keep his inters fresh and Max behind.

Anyways, we'll see in Japan. Looking forward to it. Apparently Alpine will have upgrades at each of the last races. They'll probably need them if they want to gt back ahead of McLaren.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 17:54
diffuser wrote: You can't read alot into the result of that race. 90% of the passing attempts by cars on cars with less than 1 second pace difference ended in tears. It is very hard to pass there, doubly so when it's wet and the track is drying.

Alonso doesn't hustle for nothing. He knew the race was gonna be long and the only guy he really needed to pass was Norris. He didn't need to stay that close behind him, every race at Singapour has had atleast 1 safety car. He was biding his time trying to keep his inters fresh and Max behind.
That’s your opinion… Watching the lap times through the whole race, the delta was created from very early in the race and Norris was also protecting his (and increasing the gap while doing so)… Not acknowledging that fact is just a bit myopic… Even when Alonso was pushing to keep Max behind him, Lando was either matching or increasing the gap.

We simply watched two different races apparently… Good thing is, we will get a better understanding in Japan

Xero

I don't think we can use that race as any sort barometer for upgrade effectiveness, will need to wait to Suzuka where I think McLaren will be fairly competitive.

mwillems wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 17:46
I'm still curious about this car though as Lando did say that the new design has some new characteristics that he doesn't like. Given that it already had some traits he didn't like, this seems like a very unlikeable car right now!
Tends to happen when you start adding parts aimed at a different approach to aero balancing. Might help in one specific area, but upset others than wasn't designed to accept the corresponding airflow. Calling it a side-grade rather than upgrade.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Xero wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 18:30
I don't think we can use that race as any sort barometer for upgrade effectiveness, will need to wait to Suzuka where I think McLaren will be fairly competitive.

mwillems wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 17:46
Tends to happen when you start adding parts aimed at a different approach to aero balancing. Might help in one specific area, but upset others than wasn't designed to accept the corresponding airflow. Calling it a side-grade rather than upgrade.
McLaren seem to have a trend of introducing upgrades in 2 parts, we know there is more to come this year, so I expect the second part of this package next weekend

If the upgrades correlate to what McLaren expect, then its good progress & shows their understanding is heading in the right direction going into the winter