2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Great shame. Hopefully something works out in 2024

Ben1980
Ben1980

Surely Ricciardo should do an indy stint? Unless he gets the Merc reserve gig. He loves America.

djos

BosF1 wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 08:24
djos wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 06:58
MrGapes wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 05:24
Daniel certainly looks far closer on pace around here, hopefully this upgrade has helped his confidence.
Not wrong, all of his fast laps were only a 1/10th off Lando which is great to see.

Maybe if they brought this car 6 months ago, they wouldn’t have felt the need to dump Daniel.
I was waiting for your reaction and it didn't dissapoint. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and just see how the weekend turns out. One dry free practice session doesn't say much. With qualifying underway the upgrade does seem to bring a bit of performance, but still no points for that. And your last remark is of course a big what if, which has no value. If they'd bring the 23 car to the last couple of races, they'dmight be frontrunners. But we all know that is not possible.
Well Daniel was either faster than Lando in Qually or within 2/10ths (final run in Q2).

That said, it could be track specific. Time will tell.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Ben1980 wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 11:31
Surely Ricciardo should do an indy stint? Unless he gets the Merc reserve gig. He loves America.
Imo he should have gone to Williams for a year in 23.
"In downforce we trust"

McL-H
McL-H

Ben1980 wrote:
I guess McLaren gave him the option to drive in Indy for 2023 and he turned that down and rather chose the buy-out option. I do not think we will see him make a return to F1 in the future. Which is a shame, because he’s one of only few drivers on the grid with an actual personality.

McL-H
McL-H

I find it absolutely absurd Max did not receive a penalty for what he did. It destroyed Lando’s possibility of a good lap on a new set of tyres to improve his grid position. We are in a tight battle with Alpine here and a moment like this can have a detrimental effect on the championship outcome. Max could show a bit more respect to everyone else around him whom may not be title contenders but are fighting for their own places in the championship. Had this happened if Norris were fighting Max for the championship I am sure they would had given Max the penalty. This is why I hate the FIA’s unfair stewardship!

In the words of Mark Webber: “you do a good job and then they f*** it all up."

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

McL-H wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 12:17
I find it absolutely absurd Max did not receive a penalty for what he did. It destroyed Lando’s possibility of a good lap on a new set of tyres to improve his grid position. We are in a tight battle with Alpine here and a moment like this can have a detrimental effect on the championship outcome. Max could show a bit more respect to everyone else around him whom may not be title contenders but are fighting for their own places in the championship. Had this happened if Norris were fighting Max for the championship I am sure they would had given Max the penalty. This is why I hate the FIA’s unfair stewardship!

As you know, I’m a NOR/MCL fan and think the stewards decision was fair considering the minute+ leading up to the “incident”. Was unfortunate Max lost the rear lighting them up. Should keep control. The timing though of Lando bolting past when both are about to start flyers could be considered curious too. Never seen anyone holding station and then bolting past like that?

Is what it is. Race pace looked good and tomorrow will have all sorts of surprises in store I reckon.

Seerix
Seerix

Btw exactly same situation repeated later in Q3 before NOR/VER last quick lap, where Lando bolted it and overtook Max in 130R on their outlap (this time nothing happened). I guess it could have been tyre temp related and Mcl had to go fast in the outlap.

dfegan358
dfegan358

Ricciardo taking a year out of f1 I dont think is a good idea. A lot can change in 12 months. Out of sight out of mind, teams may just move on to other younger drivers.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Car hooked up reasonably well didn’t it today and both drivers did a great job. Dan so unlucky not to have a Q3 appearance having been quick in every session today. Nontheless, hoping he enjoys his race tomorrow and car feels good.

It is crushing though the way Ferrari and Red Bull can just stretch their legs on the final runs though- two fabulous car designs. Hopefully we can claw some of the deficit next year as we then begin to get some of the facilities on stream.

iRacer

McL-H wrote:

F1 protecting its golden boy yet again. Could see this narrative building for a while in F1. I don't even watch the races anymore, just the highlights on YouTube.

iRacer

djos wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 11:37
Ben1980 wrote:
They don't want him as he is too slow.

Darth-Piekus

It seems yet again the FIA refuse to punish Max Verstappen which is a pity for the integrity of the sport. Any other driver pulling a stunt like this would have recieved a penalty. And then we have some people getting triggered when they call him FIA's golden boy.

djos

InsomniRacer wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 13:10
djos wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 11:37
Ben1980 wrote:
They don't want him as he is too slow.
The evidence strongly suggests he’s faster than Albon.
"In downforce we trust"

iRacer

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 12:22
McL-H wrote:

As you know, I’m a NOR/MCL fan and think the stewards decision was fair considering the minute+ leading up to the “incident”. Was unfortunate Max lost the rear lighting them up. Should keep control. The timing though of Lando bolting past when both are about to start flyers could be considered curious too. Never seen anyone holding station and then bolting past like that?

Is what it is. Race pace looked good and tomorrow will have all sorts of surprises in store I reckon.
There's no point playing devil's advocate here. Red Bull, Verstappen and especially F1 don't deserve it. F1 don't even care about making the championship closer any more. Giving Verstappen a suitable punishment would give Leclerc a chance and make the championship fight a bit longer. They literally want Verstappen to win it as quick as possible.