2022 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2022 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 07 - 09

hape wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 11:24
bonjon1979 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 10:59
Max and red bull in a different league and thoroughly deserved. FIA have not had a great week, the delaying of the cost cap report until Monday, the tractor on track and the debacle at the end, once again makes the sport seem a bit of a joke. Even bigger questions will be raised if problems are found with red bulls budget. Especially as I’ve never seen what leclerc did penalised the first time it happens, particularly in the wet. But if that’s the new standard, no doubt we’ll see it repeated going forwards
The only time a Leclerc kind of incident was punished I can remember of was in 2019. Vettel returning to the track in Canada with Lewis following close. Yes Lewis had to brake as he tried to get around the outside. The FiA claimed that was dangerous driving yet most people disagreed. It’s called racing.
Today there was no dangerous situation at all, still Leclerc got a penalty. And this time they didn’t have to think more than 5 minutes instead of 4 hours after the race…..
You forget Spa 2008, apparently. Even having given the place back in accordance with the rules, Lewis was still penalised and the race given to Kimi. The stewards have been making weird decisions for many, many years.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Sieper wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 12:30
The points they actually got right too. It is clearly described and does make sense. Just that at least our broadcaster (viaplay) and the teams themselves missed it, a bit amateurish almost. Oh well, this season was never going to be euphoric as last year.
Weird part was that the teams seem to have missed it too. When the penalty was announced (on screen) there was no cheering or anything, noone seems to have realized until Herbert suddenly briefly mentioned it, and even then there seemed to be confusion.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

None of this is at the detriment of ves, he has been on another planet and deserves it. I just think in their desire to have results, it’s becoming less of a sport as rules don’t seem to be being applied evenly. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe in future races, the first time someone ahead goes off track they’ll be penalised. On the ‘forcing off track’ Perez wasn’t fully alongside and there was a cars width of space on the outside. So it just doesn’t apply.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Gasly given a drive through penalty after the race along with two reprimands for speeding under the red flag. So 20 seconds added to his race time.

Always knew they were going to have a go at him, especially when the entire paddock agreed that it was stupid putting the tractor on track so soon.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gasl ... /10382149/

Ben1980
Ben1980

Gasly deserved his penalty.

Tge vehicle used for recovery was fine if followed by drivers under SC or following double yellow flag rules.

The points rules are farcical and make no sense.

Max V deserves the title and has been dominant this year. Best car and a great driver.

Wet races really need to be sorted out.

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 12:47
Gasly given a drive through penalty after the race along with two reprimands for speeding under the red flag. So 20 seconds added to his race time.

Always knew they were going to have a go at him, especially when the entire paddock agreed that it was stupid putting the tractor on track so soon.

Gasly's penalty was related to not slowing down after the red flag. Unfortantely theres no telemetry for those first 5 laps of the race so we cant see how fast he was going, but it was claimed he was doing 250kmh when the red flags come out, how fast he was going after he seen the reds is a different question as something we will never know aside from the report which says
"After passing the scene of the incident, car 10 continued under the red flag situation,
at speeds which exceeded 200 km/h on multiple occasions, and which reached 251
km/h at one point. The driver conceded that he now understood that there could have
been marshals or obstacles on the track,and admitted that he was too fast."

Theres no excuse for going that fast under a red flag, He was doing 155mph coming up to 130R after being told by his engineer there had been a red. Totally justified I think regarding the penalty.

The tractor on track is a different topic to the penalty and should be rightly investigated. I believe that to be a seperate issue to the speeding incident.

Sieper

I have seen recovery vehicles on track on many occasions. In this year alone. When the SC, or VSC was out. This was even under a red flag, the tractor could be out (wasn’t really needed as they had seas of time later) but Gasly speeding by that much was not his best decision. It happens, drivers will always try to get back to a good position, but he should have been wiser. Red is red.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 13:16
Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 12:47

Gasly's penalty was related to not slowing down after the red flag. Unfortantely theres no telemetry for those first 5 laps of the race so we cant see how fast he was going, but it was claimed he was doing 250kmh when the red flags come out, how fast he was going after he seen the reds is a different question as something we will never know aside from the report which says
"After passing the scene of the incident, car 10 continued under the red flag situation,
at speeds which exceeded 200 km/h on multiple occasions, and which reached 251
km/h at one point. The driver conceded that he now understood that there could have
been marshals or obstacles on the track,and admitted that he was too fast."

Theres no excuse for going that fast under a red flag, He was doing 155mph coming up to 130R after being told by his engineer there had been a red. Totally justified I think regarding the penalty.

The tractor on track is a different topic to the penalty and should be rightly investigated. I believe that to be a seperate issue to the speeding incident.
Yes, the penalty is for speeding but I bet they wouldn't even have looked at it if it wasn't for the furore about the tractor on track in marginal conditions.

Mogster

Is there any point In Pirelli bringing their current full wets to the events?

You’d assume the full wet would have been the tyre of choice today but no, even on a track with visible rivers of water crossing the racing line the inter was still substantially more effective. OK the cars and parc ferme rules don't help but Pirelli need to take responsibility for a lot of the lack of performance from their wet tyre.

chrisc90

Sieper wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 13:41
I have seen recovery vehicles on track on many occasions. In this year alone. When the SC, or VSC was out. This was even under a red flag, the tractor could be out (wasn’t really needed as they had seas of time later) but Gasly speeding by that much was not his best decision. It happens, drivers will always try to get back to a good position, but he should have been wiser. Red is red.
He was even accelerating pretty quickly past Sainz in the barrier, which he knew about as he commented 'car in barrier' on lap 1. So he KNEW there was double yellows there. Given he knew the SC was out on lap 1, he had no real need to try and drive fast as he would have caught the train up behind the SC anyhow. Silly mistake really.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Championship by a 5s penalty. LeClerc deserved it, but still feels weird.

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 13:44

Yes, the penalty is for speeding but I bet they wouldn't even have looked at it if it wasn't for the furore about the tractor on track in marginal conditions.
Who knows, it would take someone to go back and look at the speeds of other cars when the red flag was called. On another note, what is a decent speed to return to the pits after a red flag? Maybe they should just stick the pit limiter on and cruise back as itll be a safe speed with no time to gain/lose/advantages anyhow as the race is stopped. Simple solution to a problem like what we seen with the speed today.

Its a shame theres no way to use the pit-limiter automatically when passing incidents like this as it would force the reduction of speed by drivers to a very safe level. For example taking out a mini sector or 2 where cars are limited. But guess be pretty hard to accurately implement.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 13:53
Just_a_fan wrote:

Who knows, it would take someone to go back and look at the speeds of other cars when the red flag was called. On another note, what is a decent speed to return to the pits after a red flag? Maybe they should just stick the pit limiter on and cruise back as itll be a safe speed with no time to gain/lose/advantages anyhow as the race is stopped. Simple solution to a problem like what we seen with the speed today.

Its a shame theres no way to use the pit-limiter automatically when passing incidents like this as it would force the reduction of speed by drivers to a very safe level. For example taking out a mini sector or 2 where cars are limited. But guess be pretty hard to accurately implement.
This is something I've written about on here before. I don't see why a "slow zone", as used in LMP series and the like, can't be used. In the slow zone, you drive on the pit limiter. They would need to have a mini-sector for slowing down before the incident but even so, you'd have no more than 3 mini-sectors covering the incident.

falonso81

So, they ended the race 1 lap early but it still counts as race over? Alpine should have continued and cross the line and then protest the result.

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 13:58
chrisc90 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 13:53
Just_a_fan wrote:

This is something I've written about on here before. I don't see why a "slow zone", as used in LMP series and the like, can't be used. In the slow zone, you drive on the pit limiter. They would need to have a mini-sector for slowing down before the incident but even so, you'd have no more than 3 mini-sectors covering the incident.
Yeah, if other series can use it then no reason F1 cant. I guess the problem comes when you have the car ahead going through the limited speed section, then the yellow is removed for the next guy meaning he can go faster through the previously affected area. What time could be gained there is probably the reason why its not done.