2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 13:41
ScottR267 wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 12:21
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10402637/

More good news out of the team. Not solely relying on the big infrastructure projects to propel them forwards but also recognising they need further staff expertise.

After Aston Martin’s’ recruitment drive, good to see McLaren isn’t falling behind
Great to hear, I just feel this should have been done a season or 2 ago. The low speed issues that never seemed to go away should have pointed to the need for fresh aero and engineering eyes. But like they say, better late than never. =D>
Exactly the engineers who were willing to jump ship have already jumped to Aston and where ever and now Mclaren have decided to wander into the job centre where there are slim pickings😬
Just a fan's point of view

Seerix
Seerix

Crazy to have pre season test on Feb 23-25 and first GP basically 1 week later starting on March 5th. No space for mistakes at all.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

More good news out of the team. Not solely relying on the big infrastructure projects to propel them forwards but also recognising they need further staff expertise.

After Aston Martin’s’ recruitment drive, good to see McLaren isn’t falling behind
Great to hear, I just feel this should have been done a season or 2 ago. The low speed issues that never seemed to go away should have pointed to the need for fresh aero and engineering eyes. But like they say, better late than never. =D>
Sooner, faster is always better… But are we forgetting that the Team didn’t have sponsors back in 2018? That it was pretty close to going under from a financial stand point? Unluckily, when you are in recovery mode, you have to prioritize where and how you spend your income and looking back I don’t think the thought process was wrong… Hire competent leadership (Seidl, Key for example), hire good drivers (Lando, Sainz, Ric (I know, this one didn’t panned out, but the thought process during the hiring was the right one), stabilize the Team financially so that there would be a next season and focus on understanding your gaps (in infrastructure and talent)… It is a process and with limit resources you can’t go after all of them at the same time… Throw Covid in the middle of that process and I don’t think the job has been half bad.

ScottR267
ScottR267

CjC wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 17:33
Ground Effect wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

Exactly the engineers who were willing to jump ship have already jumped to Aston and where ever and now Mclaren have decided to wander into the job centre where there are slim pickings😬
This is very true, however given the budget cap and the top 3 having to make redundancies, hopefully there are some gems there…

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Seerix wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 17:36
Crazy to have pre season test on Feb 23-25 and first GP basically 1 week later starting on March 5th. No space for mistakes at all.
Looking back to our test sections It doesn't seem to be friendly.

bauc

Nice last race, overall a season to forget
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Darth-Piekus

Now that Daniel left I must confess that Im gonna miss his funny attitude and his constant smile. Reminds me of a friend of mine but the Australian version

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 21:38
Now that Daniel left I must confess that Im gonna miss his funny attitude and his constant smile. Reminds me of a friend of mine but the Australian version
Yeah but I'm looking forward to the notion that someone can get more points and go faster. If not straight away, that they have the capacity to do it after a period of time.

Seems Harsh I know. I like Daniel, but we jus kinda went backwards with him irrespective of wherever anyone wants to put the blame. There's a car, and there's a driver, and the two didn't get on well.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

ScottR267
ScottR267

djos

ScottR267 wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 16:32
Fair play to Daniel making the 1 stop strategy work
Yep, very good race from him with plenty of good overtakes. Good race from Lando too.
"In downforce we trust"

f1rules
f1rules

Completely agree, its like everything is on the back foot with this team, now they get the leftovers, whereas AM has been vacuuming high ranking engineers for years, im really a bit tired of my team, our turnaround guy left and now produced a better car at alpine, they were caught by surprise by the brakes, they were caught by setting to low targets etc etc, Key and the team has become a bit to laissez fair for my taste, why tf they didnt team up with merc or other team with a decent windtunnel, its not like we are a thread at all anyway… everything is a reaction and thats not good enough,
If Key dont get us back on track for next year he needs to go
About seidl amus mentioned ferrari approached him, but he declined
Now if binotto is indeed shown the door at ferrari we should go for him as new tech dir

EDIT

Can see ScottR267 mentioned the exact same thing about reactive instead of proactive👍

Ground Effect wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

_cerber1

Lando slowed down in the last laps, how did Ocon manage to catch up with him at the finish line?

Stig14
Stig14

_cerber1 wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 08:43
Lando slowed down in the last laps, how did Ocon manage to catch up with him at the finish line?
I think he paid the price for his fastest lap early on in the stint. They are always saying how you need to be careful with how you bring the tires into a stint and so the Mediums dropped off badly vs Ocon's hards in the last 5 or so laps. I don't believe an issue was mentioned of any kind, just the tyre deg.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Stig14 wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 08:57
_cerber1 wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 08:43
I think he paid the price for his fastest lap early on in the stint. They are always saying how you need to be careful with how you bring the tires into a stint and so the Mediums dropped off badly vs Ocon's hards in the last 5 or so laps. I don't believe an issue was mentioned of any kind, just the tyre deg.
I got a bit of a shock in the last couple of laps, when I saw the gap at 1-point-something instead of 5-point-something seconds. I assumed it was the opposite e.g. Alpine told Ocon to maintain the gap and save the tyres for a last-5-laps push (but your explanation may be more probable, since the Hards seemed about 5-7 tenths slower than the Mediums).

Ben1980
Ben1980

My reading was they went all out to build a gap straight away. And then hang on towards the end. Which seemed to work.. just.